• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As seen on Marketwatch.... (I have questions)

PanthersATL

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im-59-my-wife-is-33-we-have-2-year-old-twins-i-pay-for-my-mother-in-laws-rent-the-time-has-come-for-me-to-cut-the-cord-11623314458 

While the entire Q&A may be interesting to those who are enjoy reading money/retirement-related "Dear Abby" type columns, let's focus on the opening paragraph:

My wife and I have been together for eleven years. We have twins aged 2, and I have a 20 year old son in college.  I have my own business and do well.  I am 59 and my wife is 33.  I paid the apartment rent for 10 years for her mom.

The author says that he's 59, his wife is 33, and they've been together 11 years. No word on whether they've been married that long or anything regarding how they met. I don't know if that's even relevant.

They've been together since he was 48 and she was 22.

Using the "half your age + 7" as the lower-end boundary for how young you could reasonably date, at 59 you shouldn't be dating anybody younger than 36 years old.  At 48, that cutoff should be 31 years old.

FIRST: this goes without saying --- "good for them, and we wish them well. Obviously what they have works for them". 

That being said, it's a more entertaining conversation topic to throw in "what the hell are they doing together?"

1 hour ago, PanthersATL said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im-59-my-wife-is-33-we-have-2-year-old-twins-i-pay-for-my-mother-in-laws-rent-the-time-has-come-for-me-to-cut-the-cord-11623314458 

While the entire Q&A may be interesting to those who are enjoy reading money/retirement-related "Dear Abby" type columns, let's focus on the opening paragraph:

The author says that he's 59, his wife is 33, and they've been together 11 years. No word on whether they've been married that long or anything regarding how they met. I don't know if that's even relevant.

Using the "half your age + 7" as the lower-end boundary for how young you could reasonably date, at 59 you shouldn't be dating anybody younger than 36 years old.  At 48, that cutoff should be 31 years old.

FIRST: this goes without saying --- "good for them, and we wish them well. Obviously what they have works for them". 

That being said, it's a more entertaining conversation topic to throw in "what the hell are they doing together?"

There's an entire subreddit of creepy age difference relationships. 48 and 22 feels a bit like grooming to me. I mean, sure, you could argue that 22 is an adult, but how many 22 year olds have the life experience to connect with a 48 year old on anything more than a physical level? 

20 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

There's an entire subreddit of creepy age difference relationships. 48 and 22 feels a bit like grooming to me. I mean, sure, you could argue that 22 is an adult, but how many 22 year olds have the life experience to connect with a 48 year old on anything more than a physical level? 

I'm curious about how it took 9 years before the twins arrived. Maybe she had said she didn't want kids until she was 30? He has a 20-year old son, so maybe they were waiting until he was 18 to take that step.

He's going to be the 75 year-old at the twins' graduation, fielding questions about how proud a grandfather he must be, with his 20 year old son having to continually say that he's not their father.

In their favor, they must have enough in common over the past 11 years to maintain the relationship to the point where children are a thing.

6 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Let people be happy. If they have been together for 11 years obviously something is going right. This is no different than shaming someone for their sexuality. 

Now if he was 48 with a 15 year old thats a whole different thing. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1

51 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Let people be happy. If they have been together for 11 years obviously something is going right.

Agreed. that's in the OP:

• Pie 1

Half of the marriage s in this country and in divorce. Probably more shack ups fail than that. I doubt an age gap in the partners effects those stats much of at all.  So why should any one gaf about age difference as long as both parties have reached the age of consent and are satisfied with their arrangements ? Jealousy maybe ?

Edited by Paa Langfart

On 6/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, PanthersATL said:

bros fist GIF