Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Panthers LB Shaq Thompson Bulks Up


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I know that us Panther fans have been spoiled with a long history of some of the best linebacker groups throttle history of the franchise.  I get it. 

No, Shaq is Luke. He's not Davis. 

Very few through the league can even say they can get close to the same level as them. 

Being spoiled means, when we don't have the absolute best, folks like to cry that what we have is weak sauce. 

Shaw is still an above average LB.  Anybody whom says he's average,  either doesn't know what average looks like, or is just outright lying to themselves. 

He is our best linebacker.  

Perryman is a major upgrade at MLB.  While he is no Luke, he dramatically improves our group. 

Stop insulting Shaq by comparing him with linebackers that shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread. 

Wow. Just wow. 

I get it, nobody Luke's his contract.  Not his fault. Stop hating him for getting paid. That's the game. If ya don't like it, Stop watching. 

Go look at James Anderson's best seasons. Basically Shaq. It wasn't an insult. Anderson at his best was a decent starting LB. Like Shaq.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

For a linebacker it is. Remmeber most LBers are lined up against TEs and RBs. Those are easy routes. He grades above average in pass coverage compared to the rest of the league.

That's not good for a linebacker. Targeting mismatches against LBs is becoming the trend more and more - it's why Chinn was basically a LB for us last year because we already had two liabilities in Shaq and DEFINITELY in Whitehead -- and Shaq is Just Solid enough against the run and tackling that it's acceptable.

He's Eric Reid 2.0. He still tries to react to pass plays right when they happen instead of identifying the route concepts he's going against. 

  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every roster has strengths and weaknesses. Acknowledging that isn't being negative.

Keep in mind you are talking to the Huddle's dumbest poster.

Shaq has gotten grief in here since almost day one. He's a good player but he has never been a great player, yet somehow he is getting paid like a great player.

This is basically an annual thread at this point. I do think he gets more grief because of the Bradberry decision, however.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rags said:

That's not good for a linebacker. Targeting mismatches against LBs is becoming the trend more and more - it's why Chinn was basically a LB for us last year because we already had two liabilities in Shaq and DEFINITELY in Whitehead -- and Shaq is Just Solid enough against the run and tackling that it's acceptable.

He's Eric Reid 2.0. He still tries to react to pass plays right when they happen instead of identifying the route concepts he's going against. 

Yeah and remember that was supposedly going to be his strength when we drafted him. He was supposed to be our next TD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and remember that was supposedly going to be his strength when we drafted him. He was supposed to be our next TD.

To be fair, the HBs and TEs and usage of Slot WRs, and the schemes used to expose these mismatches, in today's NFL is way different than what Shaq has to cover on a regular basis.

Like 8 years ago we'd love Shaq unanimously here.

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rags said:

To be fair, the HBs and TEs and usage of Slot WRs, and the schemes used to expose these mismatches, in today's NFL is way different than what Shaq has to cover on a regular basis.

Like 8 years ago we'd love Shaq unanimously here.

That isn't a new thing, although thrbusgae may be increasing. He was drafted with the thought he could be that guy. He just hasn't been.

If we hadn't had TD and Luke, we'd live Shaq. He will always suffer from having two all time great LB's around him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to criticize anyone last year. The defense was so passive we allowed receivers to catch the ball and then tried to.limit yards after the catch. Without pressure the secondary had to cover forever and they weren't good to begin with.  How many of those blitz attempts were off of stunts or disguised blitzes versus straight forward predictable bltzes coming from 10 yards back on a delayed blitz which was totally useless since the ball was already out to the 3 receivers wide open.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

You can’t even prove he's average.  

It is kind of hard to call a player who gets a rating below 50 on PFF as even average. It takes those bright blue homer glasses to squint that in with the rest of your “the team never makes mistakes” takes. 

  • Poo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the coaching staff told Thompson to bulk up during the off-season in anticipation of a specific role they had for him ?   

But in general it's better for older players to get more lean instead of adding weight.   The loss of weight helps improve quickness and speed, which counteracts the normal speed decline due to aging. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It is kind of hard to call a player who gets a rating below 50 on PFF as even average. It takes those bright blue homer glasses to squint that in with the rest of your “the team never makes mistakes” takes. 

Way to quote PFF. 

You should have kept that to yourself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...