• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The ugly lineup

Mr. Scot

In his post practice presser, Coach Matt Rhule said the team views rookie tackle Brady Christensen's best fit as being at right tackle. He added that Christensen can also slide inside to guard, but he prefers him at the tackle spot.

Obviously, the team already has a starter in that role. However, Rhule also referred to Taylor Moton as "a guy who can flip-flop" between the tackle spots. Mentioned elsewhere that this makes me think they're gaining more confidence in his ability to play on the left.

Rhule also reiterated today what he had previously said regarding Cam Erving, that he's primarily slotted as a left tackle right now. Erving hasn't been able to practice there due to an injury though. Hence, why other guys are getting looks.

One of those guys is Dennis Daley. Previous expectation was that he'd be looked at primarily at guard this year, but it's starting to sound less and less like that's the case.

Definitely sounds like the lineup on the OL is getting some different looks. Might not be so easy to predict what it's ultimately going to look like come week one.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 8

Just speculation here, but I think this staff believes Moton is a LT but Moton has been playing RT so long that he's very comfortable there and is hesitant to make the switch. They're trying to convince him to give it a legit go and what better time to do that than now while Erving is out anyway?

• Pie 6

The O-line is definitely in flux.  His comments yesterday seem to indicate that they will look at Moton at left if  Moton feels comfortable there and followed that the value diff between L and R aren't as stark because there are now great right side rushers.

This could be an open question for a while.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

The O-line is definitely in flux.  His comments yesterday seem to indicate that they will look at Moton at left if  Moton feels comfortable there and followed that the value diff between L and R aren't as stark because there are now great right side rushers.

This could be an open question for a while.

"We want you to play LT while we pay you like a RT."

Hey, I hope it works out. That'd be sweet.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just speculation here, but I think this staff believes Moton is a LT but Moton has been playing RT so long that he's very comfortable there and is hesitant to make the switch. They're trying to convince him to give it a legit go and what better time to do that than now while Erving is out anyway?

Given the fact Moton is currently slated to play under the franchise tag I’d understand if Moton wanted to stay at RT so he can secure his big payday. 

But if they’re able to lock Moton up in the next few weeks then there’s a lot less risk involved for him with trying out LT.

I also believe Moton is looking for LT type money so yah…

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

from Christensen's draft profile :

"With short legs, a longer torso and a big barrel chest, Christensen's play strength at the point of attack is NFL-caliber and he has enough movement to get to most blocks that are asked of him."

"Powerful upper body to punch and lock out."

Bench Press    30 reps   (86th percentile)

All that sounds like a possible RT.  

Well whatever route they go it needs to be sorted soon. There will be an adjustment period with line changes. The optimist in me says we have the talent to achieve this in time but the pessimist in me is reminded of years of line shuffles that resulted in shall we say less than desirable results. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One thing to remember regarding Christensen: lots of future left tackles play their first year or so on the right.

Many players have commented on how surprisingly difficult it is to switch sides on the OL.  Every instinct the player has must be reversed.  After 4 years of playing LT, I could see changing over to RT being a real challenge.

My understanding was that coaches were beginning to realize this and, to make rookie adjustment easier, just keep players at their college position whenever possible if they were expected to start immediately. 

If he's going to be a backup / learn on the bench his first year, the coaches can then be more flexible about shifting players around to different positions.   

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Many players have commented on how surprisingly difficult it is to switch sides on the OL.  Every instinct the player has must be reversed.  After 4 years of playing LT, I could see changing over to RT being a real challenge.

My understanding was that coaches were beginning to realize this and, to make rookie adjustment easier, just keep players at their college position whenever possible if they were expected to start immediately. 

If he's going to be a backup / learn on the bench his first year, the coaches can then be more flexible about shifting players around to different positions.   

I'm starting to feel like Christensen probably will spend his first year as a backup.

The bigger question right now might be who he's going to be backing up.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1