• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers PJ Waker Ranked 25 Among NFL Backup Quarterbacks

KatsAzz

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/panthers-p-j-walker-ranked-184508601.html

Panthers Wire

Panthers’ P.J. Walker ranked No. 25 among NFL’s backup 

16a2a01c1aaef817fdd030aee089458a

The Panthers gave up three draft picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold, who projects to be their starter in the 2021 season. Darnold comes to town with plenty of questions about his game after a rough three-year run in New York, even though he has a lot more help here. Worse, if Darnold continues to struggle or gets injured, it’s not like Carolina has a ready-made backup plan at the sport’s most important position.

P.J. Walker started one game for the Panthers last season while Teddy Bridgewater was out. While he technically earned a win, Walker had little to do with the victory – which featured a shutout for an invigorated defensive unit against a Lions offense playing an injured Matt Stafford. Walker didn’t do much to impress in that one start or his other random reps. At the end of the year, he had five interceptions to go with just one touchdown.

Heading into 2021, it’s only fair to rank him near the bottom of the league’s backup QBs. CBS Sports has him at No. 25:

“Like McSorley, he’s got the legs to keep plays alive, and his brief XFL stardom suggests he’s still got untapped upside. But the 26-year-old former Temple standout lacks power as a passer.”

Walker has athleticism, but his biggest issue appeared to be a relatively slow processing speed – a fatal flaw for many young quarterbacks who star either in college or in lesser professional leagues. As it happens, it’s the same problem that’s plagued QB3 Will Grier during the limited action he’s seen since getting drafted in 2019.

If these two don’t show significant improvement during the preseason, the Panthers should consider replacing one of them with a veteran who can also help Darnold along in his development. Josh McCown should be at the top of that list.

Edited by KatsAzz

8 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

How many Huddlers are willing to keep both PJ Walker and Will Grier as backup quarters and how many would like to see another quarterback brought in to backup Sam Darnold?

I'm cool with replacing them pending it doesn't take up additional cap space.  Otherwise, just roll with PJ Walker as the backup.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

And your opinion is???

You got me. I forgot to do so. Got caught up in the moment. But I kinda did with the "Yahoo Sports?" thingy.

Hey, you keep adding things. Before I can properly reply, you've added more. It's like texting with my sister. I can't keep up.

PJ has been in what? 3 games. So that ranking seems rather appropriate. 

• Beer 1

Id be ok cutting Grier and looking for a QB with upside that could be a big project. 3rd string QB has some room to play and taking that risk is acceptable. Theres a lot of garbage but every once in a while you find a guy thats worthwhile. Grier isnt good enough and we can do better, or worse. If we are relying on our 3rd string we’re already in trouble anyway.

I mean, are you really all in on aiding Sam Darnold......if his QB room is PJ/Will? 

Probably would be wise to get rid of both of them and bring in some old vet to coach Sam up in the film room.   Rent a vet for a year.  And Sam either works.....or you move on from him just as quick as Teddy.  But hopefully with a drafted QB this time. 

I think a vet makes more sense to pair with Sam than two guys we know don't have it and offer little for Sam's growth. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Offseason list season in full swing.

Ideally I would want  someone whos been around. Yeah their play is important if needed but their contribution to the QB room and assistance on the sidelines is a constant.  There just don't seem to be many of these type guys currently.

Is Testeverde still able to walk?

• Pie 2

What?  Have a legitimate backup on the roster?  The Panthers?

My problem isn't with Walker or Grier, it is with Walker AND Grier.  Essentially we have a starter and two #3 QBs on the roster.  The #2 should either be the heir apparent or a vet who isn't good enough to be a starter (maybe never, maybe not anymore) over 17 games, but is good enough to be a starter for 4-6 of them, if needed.  The idea would be the #3 would grow into that role, replace him, and then you find a new #3.

It was not critical for us last year since expectations were at whale dung levels.  It may not be critical this year, although the expectations are a little higher and having a vet to help Darnold would be a plus, but not many are expecting great things that could be derailed by a QB injury.  But sooner or later......

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2