• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big game hunting?

16 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Well you gotta factor in Svech but ya there’s still gonna be a decent chunk of change left over. We have 3 forward spots wide open after Svech. 

I expect Svech to come in around 6.5 for 3 years if they go the bridge route. And I fully anticipate Skjei, Nino, or Gardiner (+ prospect(s)) to go in any trade. If it's one of the defensemen, all spots are filled. If it's Nino, that just opens another forward spot to fill, preferably on the cheapish end. 

As it stands right now I think the roster looks something like:

Svech - Aho - Turbo

Nino - Trocheck - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Lorentz - Stepan/Drury - Leivo

Slavin - Pesce

Skjei - Bear

Cole - DeAngelo

Gardiner

The LHD is stacked and very expensive, especially for Gardiner to be an extra. That's why I really think we use Gardiner or Skjei in a trade for a LW (ie Tarasenko). That would also offset 4 (Gardiner) or 5.25 million (Skjei) of the large contract we take on.

In all honesty, I think Skjei+ for Tarasenko makes too much sense even though I would like to keep Skjei. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

I expect Svech to come in around 6.5 for 3 years if they go the bridge route. And I fully anticipate Skjei, Nino, or Gardiner (+ prospect(s)) to go in any trade. If it's one of the defensemen, all spots are filled. If it's Nino, that just opens another forward spot to fill, preferably on the cheapish end. 

As it stands right now I think the roster looks something like:

Svech - Aho - Turbo

Nino - Trocheck - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Lorentz - Stepan/Drury - Leivo

Slavin - Pesce

Skjei - Bear

Cole - DeAngelo

Gardiner

The LHD is stacked and very expensive, especially for Gardiner to be an extra. That's why I really think we use Gardiner or Skjei in a trade for a LW (ie Tarasenko). That would also offset 4 (Gardiner) or 5.25 million (Skjei) of the large contract we take on.

In all honesty, I think Skjei+ for Tarasenko makes too much sense even though I would like to keep Skjei. 

Slavin-Deanglo

Skjei-Pesce 

Cole-Bear

IMO. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Slavin-Deanglo

Skjei-Pesce 

Cole-Bear

IMO. 

Fair enough. DeAngelo could honestly slide in at any of the 3 RHD spots. I'm just not sold on him defensively to be a top pair guy. But I guess that's what Slavin is for. He definitely hid Hamilton's deficiencies. 

• Pie 2

Just now, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Fair enough. DeAngelo could honestly slide in at any of the 3 RHD spots. I'm just not sold on him defensively to be a top pair guy. But I guess that's what Slavin is for. He definitely hid Hamilton's deficiencies. 

He his the only clear offensive D man, and I have to say on the ice he has skill. Id bet if he keeps his mouth shut hes 1RD and 1PP.

• Pie 2

Brendan Smith signed (LD/RD).

I think this makes Gardiner even more available as trade bait and he adds a lot of experience to a 3 or 4th line and he can play either side. I could see him playing alongside Cole on the 3rd line and Bear and Skjei on the 4th. Either way, someone will get their feelings hurt having to play the 4th line. This is a sneaky good defensive group- not a lot of offense- but strong on D.

Him & Cole together might be one of the most physical blue lines this team has ever seen.

And, also not to be taken for granted, Svech did not file for arbitration and I'm fairly certain he could have(?).

Edited by Anybodyhome

9 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Brendan Smith signed (LD/RD).

I think this makes Gardiner even more available as trade bait and he adds a lot of experience to a 3 or 4th line and he can play either side. I could see him playing alongside Cole on the 3rd line and Bear and Skjei on the 4th. Either way, someone will get their feelings hurt having to play the 4th line. This is a sneaky good defensive group- not a lot of offense- but strong on D.

Him & Cole together might be one of the most physical blue lines this team has ever seen.

And, also not to be taken for granted, Svech did not file for arbitration and I'm fairly certain he could have(?).

Nope Svech is no arbitration. But we still have to tender him a good offer. 

Edited by Harbingers

The whole defensive logjam makes no sense at all at this point.

I would really like to see the Canes man up and go and get Tarasenko.  He has one year left and maybe the Blues will eat some of that as well depending on the return.  If he puts up numbers likes he has in the past then give him a 2-3 year contract...show us you aren't being cheap. 

• Pie 1

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2190143/2022-stanley-cup-odds-teams-to-buy-sell-following-chaotic-offseason

It's hard to imagine why a team as close to Cup contention as the Hurricanes would choose to go the route they did this offseason. Letting Dougie Hamilton go was understandable - as good as he is, they couldn't come close to matching what he got from New Jersey - but the 180-degree pivot Carolina took in net remains one of the most puzzling offseason storylines.

Why the Hurricanes are paying virtually the same annual salary for Frederik Andersen and Antti Raanta over Alex Nedeljkovic and Petr Mrazek - who were superb for them last season - remains a mystery. Andersen, who'll be 32 when the season starts, is coming off the two worst campaigns of his career and was limited to just 24 games last season due to injury. The 32-year-old Raanta, meanwhile, has only played 57 games over the last three years.

------------------------------------------------

My sentiments exactly.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1