• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Backup QB NOT on the roster?

MHS831

In all actuality, none of those backups are going to get you to the playoffs and win anything.  Like most teams, if our starter goes out, so do our playoff hopes.  We might be better off trading for a LT if our musical chairs experiments do not work to produce one from within.  Keeping Darnold upright and healthy is probably the better option.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stirs said:

In all actuality, none of those backups are going to get you to the playoffs and win anything.  Like most teams, if our starter goes out, so do our playoff hopes.  We might be better off trading for a LT if our musical chairs experiments do not work to produce one from within.  Keeping Darnold upright and healthy is probably the better option.

There are few teams with that kind of backup, so I tend to agree...If a QB is capable of winning games, he is starting somewhere....I have a new appreciation for Anderson now...I always thought a team should keep some aging, former-starter veteran as the backup (mentor) and a young gun on the PS. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stirs said:

Most starters are not capable of getting you to the Superbowl.

Needing to win a game is still something you hope to be able to do with your backup.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Most starters are not capable of getting you to the Superbowl.

Needing to win a game is still something you hope to be able to do with your backup.

So I think we are hoping that our running game could help us win a few games if the starter went down.  Our OL seem to be good run blockers, if you think of the additions--we added players that make the wide zone scheme better-and a RB.  So if Darnold goes down, we slow down and go ball control---I guess?

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Great thing about this thread? 

Some quality Huddlers chimed in before the crack heads woke up.  Nice posts.

Sounds like my cue to ruin that.  I'm not a crack head, but people who read my posts do wonder sometimes what exactly I have been smoking or drinking.

The only problem I have with Minshew is I think the only way he is leaving Jacksonville is via a trade, and the Jags will get better offers from teams looking for a starter than one looking for a backup/contingency.  Don't get me wrong, if Minshew as available at a bargain price, that would be a good move.  I thought there was a chance he would wind up here before the Darnold deal.

But, Jacksonville is probably going to hang onto him until some team finds itself in need of a starter because theirs has gone down or is not quite as ready as the team had hoped.

The most realistic option is whoever was 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart of a team that picked a QB in the top three rounds.  That is not an illustrious list, either, but there are a couple of little-known guys that get good marks, are now expendable, and are probably better than our #2 or #3. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Sounds like my cue to ruin that.  I'm not a crack head, but people who read my posts do wonder sometimes what exactly I have been smoking or drinking.

The only problem I have with Minshew is I think the only way he is leaving Jacksonville is via a trade, and the Jags will get better offers from teams looking for a starter than one looking for a backup/contingency.  Don't get me wrong, if Minshew as available at a bargain price, that would be a good move.  I thought there was a chance he would wind up here before the Darnold deal.

But, Jacksonville is probably going to hang onto him until some team finds itself in need of a starter because theirs has gone down or is not quite as ready as the team had hoped.

The most realistic option is whoever was 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart of a team that picked a QB in the top three rounds.  That is not an illustrious list, either, but there are a couple of little-known guys that get good marks, are now expendable, and are probably better than our #2 or #3. 

Not at all--you are one of the quality huddlers.  Not crack at all, and this is a good point.  Maybe crystal meth--but the pure stuff--not the bad quality stuff.