• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is CJ Saunders??

WOW!!

Every interview with coach Rhule lately this name comes up every time...

Who is this guy and why is he getting talked up so much.. He doesn't look big or very fast. 

Seem like he had the same appeal at Ostate.. Walk on really??

Could he really make this team??

So two thoughts.

1.  There is always room for a possession receiver on a team and if this is "that guy" - the one who always gets 9 yards when you need 7 and never drops a pass - we have room for that.

2.  As a coach, you've got to motivate ALL your players.  By talking up Saunders, you're giving him motivation to keep pushing, which is great.  Simultaneously, you're sending the message to the other guys competing for seats 5 - 7 in the receiver room that they need to step up.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3
  • The D 1

Who knows? He may just be a guy who is really coachable and busts his ass and Rhule really likes him for that. As for not being really big or really fast, plenty of really good NFL receivers have lacked prototypical type measurables. I honestly doubt this guy is anything more than a coach's favorite for previously mentioned reasons but we'll see.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That's why we keep Zylstra on the team, a reliable possession guy that can play STs.

12 rec, 164 yards over 3 season. 

It's the ST and his character that have made him stick in the NFL. He has been a great 5-6th receiver. 

With that said, I think he have shown improvement during this training camp so maybe he have taken the extra step and might stick around for another season. 

Yuck.  Sorry, I appreciate Rhule showing him love, but he does not look like an NFL receiver at all.  No explosiveness or suddenness, not very big, and zero YAC ability.  So many of those clips have him tripping over himself after the catch or immediately running out of bounds.

I was hoping to see some Welker to him from the description, but idc what Welker's measurables were, he was super quick and shifty on the field with surprising speed.  Saunders is not.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

43 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yuck.  Sorry, I appreciate Rhule showing him love, but he does not look like an NFL receiver at all.  No explosiveness or suddenness, not very big, and zero YAC ability.  So many of those clips have him tripping over himself after the catch or immediately running out of bounds.

I was hoping to see some Welker to him from the description, but idc what Welker's measurables were, he was super quick and shifty on the field with surprising speed.  Saunders is not.

Yeah exactly my point... What the hell is Rhule doing with this overboard amount of praise for a player seemingly below avg??

• Poo 1

DJ, RA, Terrace Marshall Jr are the locks.

David Moore, Shi Smith, Brandon Zylstra, Omar Bayless, Keith Kirkwood, and CJ Saunders are fighting for those last 3-4 spots on the main roster.

Could see the staff trying to stash Bayless for another year along with Saunders,  whether or not that's the wisest move