• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the arm talent narrative is greatly overrated. 

I still think the bust odds on Wilson and Lance are super high.  

Most likely. I liked the upside of Lance more than Wilson. And both could turn out to be great QBs. But it’s more likely both fail than succeed. Certainly early in their careers. They’ve just not ever played NFL level competition.

Many QBs have made that jump with great success (Brees being a prime example) but that’s an all in move. If I had to bet on one, give me Lance

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Why is age relevant at all to a rookie?  Yea, it sucks for the player, it means his potential football career will be shorter.  But for the team?  There is no downside.

You're getting a player who is, in theory, mentally more ready to put in work and learn.  One who will likely only need one more contract done in his entire career.

BC either works out or he doesn't.  Like any rookie.  But his age isn't really a negative as some folks would like to make it out to be.  If he takes a year or two to acclimate to the NFL, and we then get five productive seasons of a "good" NFL lineman, it's a pick well spent.

That extra physical and mental/emotional maturity vs. their peers in college matters. If they had a higher talent level, they would've probably already entered the draft and they might not have the talent level you saw on film once they're facing guys with a similar level of physical and mental)emotional maturity that comes with age.

• Pie 3

Just now, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

We should’ve drafted Fields at 8. 

I agree, but they were drafting a QB at 2. Our staff was satisfied with what we have in relation to that position. They picked a BYU QB with an injury history and only one good year over a player who was constantly one of the best in the country the past couple years against better competition.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree, but they were drafting a QB at 2. Our staff was satisfied with what we have in relation to that position. They picked a BYU QB with an injury history and only one good year over a player who was constantly one of the best in the country the past couple years against better competition.

I wanted Fields too. But here's the thing. Flip the script and have Zach Wilson available at #8 and he absolutely would've been the pick. At the end of the day, all we really know for sure about the Panthers' opinion of Justin Fields is that they ranked him below Jaycee Horn.

• Pie 1

Just now, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

Maddox was 21 when he was drafted. Kurt and Jake spent time playing in NFLE and elsewhere. I’m talking about old rookies that we’re “DRAFTED”. Name one. 

Playing in Europe vs college, why does it matter. Warner and Delhomme were older when they got their NFL shot. Staubach was 27 his rookie year. Sam Mills was also 27.

• Pie 1

Good coaching counts…..setting up a young, raw QB with everything he needs to succeed helps…….when he was drafted, Wyoming QB Josh Allen had a cannon and could run, but couldn’t “hit the broad side a the barn”.  He didn’t win in a lower conference schedule, was owned by power 5 programs.

Patience, great coaching, a team built around him, he signs a big contract in year four.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

Good coaching counts…..setting up a young, raw QB with everything he needs to succeed helps…….when he was drafted, Wyoming QB Josh Allen had a cannon and could run, but couldn’t “hit the broad side a the barn”.  He didn’t win in a lower conference schedule, was owned by power 5 programs.

Patience, great coaching, a team built around him, he signs a big contract in year four.

Allen is the most stunning NFL success story I may have ever seen. It's difficult to overstate just how raw and inaccurate he was as a passer in college. The development he's made as a passer is nothing short of stunning.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wanted Fields too. But here's the thing. Flip the script and have Zach Wilson available at #8 and he absolutely would've been the pick. At the end of the day, all we really know for sure about the Panthers' opinion of Justin Fields is that they ranked him below Jaycee Horn.

I’m not 100% sure we would have drafted any QB not named Lawrence at 8. I think we are very high on Darnold. Hopefully our staff can show us why this year. I’m also not sure we ranked Fields below Horn as much as we considered the QB position set and needed a CB. If we had a RB ranked above Horn we would have passed because we simply don’t need to use that kind of capital on a “luxury” pick since that position is set. I’m not saying I agree, but I feel that’s our staff’s school of thought.

• Pie 2