• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the Panthers Rookies(TheAthletic)

kungfoodude

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Lol, relax man. Sorry you are butt hurt but when a bunch of us said we should have taken Smith instead of a LS, it’s OK to say we were right just based on so far. We were talking about Smith when day 3 started. We 100% should have taken a chance on Smith instead of a LS. Smith could fall apart and never start a game but that doesn’t matter. Let me clarify since you are jumping into the silly defense of we just don’t know yet and you can’t go back and say we should have taken Brady:

1) I really liked our draft overall, never said I didn’t. I think I complained about this 6th round pick more than anything else. I was fine with Horn and that will be a much bigger what if pick, but I get why we made that pick.

2) I’m not declaring Smith a HOFer. I made it well known that I liked him and that I hope we take him on day 3 because he dropped due to his medical condition. Kind of like Orlando Brown who fell because of the combine, Smith based on his play in the SEC, was a day 2 pick and a solid player.

3) I’m not playing what if scenarios and trying to redraft, especially since we don’t know who will really pan out. It’s Ok for you to acknowledge that sometimes people have feelings about certain players and really wished their team took them. Because we went CB/WR in the first two rounds, I wanted Smith even more to give us a better chance of hitting on OL.

4) I said right in the draft thread that we should use as many picks to try and get OL as we can. When we picked a LS, a bunch of us were like why not pick one up undrafted?

Listen, you can give try and ignore it like a what if or say it’s too early, but I felt very strongly that we needed to take more than two OL in the draft (Moore was undrafted and already gone) and I felt very strongly that Smith was a great shot to take and I liked him more than Brown, but had we gotten Brown and Smith in the 6th, that would have been a coup even if neither worked out.

Lol I was just saying to relax and wait till they play a snap

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Camp Fodder said:

Yep, I’d rather we took a flyer on a potential backup QB

I actually don't agree here. We've already got two "flyers" for backup QB on the roster now. We don't need another contender for QB3. A veteran backup is more valuable to the team at this juncture. Conversely, I can see the value in taking a shot at LS. If he's serviceable, we can free some salary cap space for several years with a rookie contract to a fairly niche position, instead of paying the vet minimum. Drafting the best at the position increases the probability he's serviceable. If it doesn't work out, it was a low-round, low-yield pick anyway.

But in general, I'm not gonna get heartburn over pick 222.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I know people kept saying hey, you aren’t going to likely get a starter so just grab the LS to replace Jansen. Ugh, I just felt like googling Smith to see if he was doing anything at all and saw that. Just hurts sometimes, it was so obvious. I hope BC breaks out and takes over at G this year and Brown looks great in pre-season but damn if a bunch of us didn’t feel like we didn’t take enough shots at OL talent. I’m hindsight, a LS, really? Smith had the health concerns but he was way too talented to not take a chance at that point.

Drafting a LS with a stellar one on the team is just light speed stupid. I mean, anyone with any sense knew it was dumb. Doesn't really matter if the replacement 6th rounder worked out or not. That is a UDFA signing. 

• Beer 2

Kugbila over Bakhtiari (next pick) is the bigger one, arguably the biggest miss in our history.  Bakhtiari was right there in our laps, a huge need, many tied him to us, projected maybe a G more than a T at the time, and we took a guy no one heard of from a small school.    

That right there could have been Cam's saving grace and I deem it the pick that forever was a miss.  Biggest miss in our history for a "shouldawouldacoulda".  Trey Smith hasn't played a snap yet so let's please hold the moaning for him.  Nothing has played out minus training camps.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

Smith was not on our board and not on many other teams board as well. He has some serious health issues that could force him into very early retirement. If his health stays well, he could be a stud.

I mean....did you see the other guys we signed in the offseason??

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jared Patterson said:

Smith was not on our board and not on many other teams board as well. He has some serious health issues that could force him into very early retirement. If his health stays well, he could be a stud.

I just looked up Smith's draft profile.  He has a history of blood clots in his lungs.  Obviously the issue could have been a medical red flag for more than a few teams in the NFL.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-smith/3200534d-4976-4701-9935-2cd0c0d35dd1

2 hours ago, saX man said:

Kugbila over Bakhtiari (next pick) is the bigger one, arguably the biggest miss in our history.  Bakhtiari was right there in our laps, a huge need, many tied him to us, projected maybe a G more than a T at the time, and we took a guy no one heard of from a small school.    

That right there could have been Cam's saving grace and I deem it the pick that forever was a miss.  Biggest miss in our history for a "shouldawouldacoulda".  Trey Smith hasn't played a snap yet so let's please hold the moaning for him.  Nothing has played out minus training camps.

Probably would have won super bowl 50 with that pick

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

From what I have read Fletcher was the best LS in college and we wanted to make sure he wouldn't choose another team if he went undrafted so we used a 6th rounder on him. A guy who never had a bad snap in his college college starting all four years. For Alabama who was dominant last year. Versus a guard who was a high round prospect based on his talent who dropped due to injury concerns.  We picked for need assuming that Jansen isnt the future and Fletcher makes the team. I would be unhappy if we try to stash him on the practice squad and he gets stolen like with Butker a while back. Then it becomes a wasted pick.  

• Beer 1

Just now, panthers55 said:

From what I have read Fletcher was the best LS in college and we wanted to make sure he wouldn't choose another team if he went undrafted so we used a 6th rounder on him. A guy who never had a bad snap in his college college starting all four years. For Alabama who was dominant last year. Versus a guard who was a high round prospect based on his talent who dropped due to injury concerns.  We picked for need assuming that Jansen isnt the future and Fletcher makes the team. I would be unhappy if we try to stash him on the practice squad and he gets stolen like with Butker a while back. Then it becomes a wasted pick.  

It will be a bigger waste if he doesn't beat out JJ.

IMO, we were creating problems where there were none on a roster with ample enough problems. That was why I was so against that pick. If we had to be in a bidding war for a UDFA, so be it. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It will be a bigger waste if he doesn't beat out JJ.

IMO, we were creating problems where there were none on a roster with ample enough problems. That was why I was so against that pick. If we had to be in a bidding war for a UDFA, so be it. 

No one cares about a long snapper until he screws up. With all the extra picks we got this year I am amazed about all the angst because we used it on a long snapper who never muffed a snap.in his college career.  I think he makes the roster. If he doesn't start right away then that is simply due to how good Jansen is not a knock on Fletcher. He is the future.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

No one cares about a long snapper until he screws up. With all the extra picks we got this year I am amazed about all the angst because we used it on a long snapper who never muffed a snap.in his college career.  I think he makes the roster. If he doesn't start right away then that is simply due to how good Jansen is not a knock on Fletcher. He is the future.

I also don't think he will be the same level of loss if he gets poached off the PS as Butker was. Kickers can make or break you(reference Slye, Joey). 

I hated the pick because we could have simply signed him as a UDFA(although Washington went dumb after us too, so who knows). Ideally, JJ keeps rocking out next season and until his contract is up and then we can stash Fletcher on the PS until he takes over. If that happens, all butthurt will be rendered null and void.