• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule was trying to "hold" the lead today ?

JABANOG

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Ehhh, I don't like that at all.  If that was their exact wording...  I dont take preseason outcomes too serious nowadays, as most coaches use it more for situational reps and practice to see how their team performs in any given scenario and winning or losing is fairly inconsequential (see Belichick)... but if Rhule was legit playing to win and "hold" the lead for the desired outcome instead of just using the situation as a metric, that doesn't sit well with me.

Rhule really starting to worry me ever since last season ended.   

and I’m still not sure about how Rhule went about this week as a whole. 

- he was going to play his starters 

-then he advised he let the Colts dictate how they wanted to practice. Whatever they wanted. 

- Colts HC wanted to rep his starters hard in practice and not play his winning football team in the preseason game.  Announcers hit on the fact that it was Colts HC’s preference. 

-Rhule then changed his mind on playing his starters IMO following the Colts.  

But we aren’t a winning team primarily focused on health.  We are a young bad team that needs to be repping Darnold, Horn, etc. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

we went for it on two fourth downs . We made one , but lost the second when it was a chip shot for a field goal .  We could have been up by 11 points at that time .  I guess the coaches wanted more looks on the run game and O-line .   This didn't look like they were trying to hold on to the lead to me.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Thank you, Mr Snow, for being the only voice of logic reasoning in here. 

Seems to me there are already a lot of huddlers that hate our coach, and will waste no opportunity to bash him. 

Gotta love the professional amateurs.  

This.  I wish you could pie multiple times.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ace420 said:

Not to get off of topic, but I think sly was OK today. He made all of his fgs except for a world record 63 yarder. 

Missing the xp sucked, but it was pushed back some due to penalty.

Made 3 out of 4 realistic kicks. Not great, but it will be hard to upgrade him at this point as any kicker getting cut probably won't be any better.

Chiefs claimed Butker when we put him on the PS.  We just need to keep our eyes open.  I'm not saying dump him, but today's performance is concerning.

One of Slyes FG's looked like a gift from the refs.

None were dead center and I was clinging to my seat as they sailed right at the uprights.

Slye did not look good today.  The  psychology stuff isn't working.

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, frankw said:

There's really no excuse in not having a plan for crowd noise though that's a lack of preparation. For all the talk of preseason reps being unnecessary for our starters that omission is not a good look for anyone.

Agree 100%, I just don’t think Rhule wants that out there.

He’d have much rather preferred that Grier addressed that in private rather than bring it up to the media.

When you aren’t a superstar you could see your self on the unemployment line pretty quickly for saying negative things about your boss.

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

and I still like how Rhule went about this week as a whole. 

-then he advised he let the Colts dictate how they wanted to practice. Whatever they wanted. 

- Colts HC wanted to rep his starters hard in practice and not play his winning football team in the preseason game.  Announcers hit on the fact that it was Colts HC’s preference. 

But we aren’t a winning team primarily focused on health.  We are a young bad team that needs to be repping Darnold, Horn, etc. 

It's more and more obvious he's learning on the job, and still learning how to coach grown men vs young college players with his DBO sign. If he didn't have solid coordinators this staff would be a mess

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's more and more obvious he's learning on the job, and still learning how to coach grown men vs young college players with his DBO sign. If he didn't have solid coordinators this staff would be a mess

And I can accept that to a degree.  Just think we should be able to talk about it.  

not blindly defend it all.   Started with Teddy.  Teddy can suck as a starting QB and point out a legit criticism of a brand new NFL staff.   Both can be true. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, CRA said:

and I’m still not sure about how Rhule went about this week as a whole. 

I like Rhule for the most part. I really hope he works out. But I'm not gonna pretend like the jury isn't still way out.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Holding a lead is not a situational outcome you would practice?  Seems like it would be something you would want to do myself. 

Generally, I agree.  But I heard Rhule's comments on the postgame show.  He said they were running more when Grier was in because they were trying to ice the game.   I found that comment a little scary in that at no point in the second half were we really in a position to ice the game by running out the clock.  I looked it up, and Will Grier threw it ten times in the second half, compared to PJ's 21 times in the first half.   So it seems they really were trying to ice the game.  Hopefully you are right and they were just trying to practice that aspect, but it seems a strange thing to say and do.  But if they try to ice a real game with a one score lead in the fourth qtr, Rhule will be back coaching in college sooner rather than later. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

And I can accept that to a degree.  Just think we should be able to talk about it.  

not blindly defend it all.   Started with Teddy.  Teddy can suck as a starting QB and point out a legit criticism of a brand new NFL staff.   Both can be true. 

Agree, Teddy looked exactly the same in his preseason reps in a completely different system. Tho I don't think their team had 5 offsides penalties or whatever we had

7 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Generally, I agree.  But I heard Rhule's comments on the postgame show.  He said they were running more when Grier was in because they were trying to ice the game.   I found that comment a little scary in that at no point in the second half were we really in a position to ice the game by running out the clock.  I looked it up, and Will Grier threw it ten times in the second half, compared to PJ's 21 times in the first half.   So it seems they really were trying to ice the game.  Hopefully you are right and they were just trying to practice that aspect, but it seems a strange thing to say and do.  But if they try to ice a real game with a one score lead in the fourth qtr, Rhule will be back coaching in college sooner rather than later. 

Sounds like Rivera and Fox. Take the air out of the ball and hope your D can hang on. That's a tough row to hoe in today's offense driven league.

• Pie 1