• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I used to come to this place to learn things about football...

23 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I don’t doubt it’s the same other places, but is it really an excuse for lack of logic and reason?

Oh I agree don't get me wrong. But at some point with all the losing it just turns into a big vent session. It hasn't helped going straight from the extremely deflating Bridgewater mess to an unknown in Sam Darnold after for better or worse passing on drafting a quarterback. If September brings wins that will go a long way in restoring good vibes and quality conversation. If not. Well... 💣💥🤣

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I actually agree with you here. It’s definitely improved since last season. But I still think it’s very underwhelming and if we lose a starter, especially Shaq, we will get exposed by whoever is filling in. We just don’t have much to rely on there. 

This franchise has a long history of having so many many, above average linebacker groups. It has spoiled us. 

Without a doubt, we don't have the talent across the group we normally do. Can't upgrade every position group do quickly, no matter how often we trade back. 

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Well, I did throw my question marks in the thread. That said, Chinn, YGM, Marshall, Tremble, Christensen, Brown, Smith etc were all picked after the first round and while it’s a small sample size, it’s clearly looking better than drafts we have had under DG or Hurney in the later rounds. 

Combine that with the fact I’m damn tired of the constant negativity and Tepper, Rhule, organization bashing on general that’s being going on for the last few years, I’m prone to pardon the sparse optimism even if exaggerated. 

But again, since you feel compelled to point out I’ve overlooked the overtly positive posters, tell me. Which had been more plentiful today? The doom and gloom or the sunshine crowd? We both know the answer. So yes, I was responding specifically to the negative Nancy types. 

We do agree on Grier. His time is almost up. And Slye may stick around another year but he has to be on a short leash as well.

The doom and gloomers win today. But. Let me ask you, at this point, who is more factually validated? We averaged 5.5 wins the last 3 seasons. 5.5. It it were me, I’d be overlooking the sunshine crowd more based on that. And that’s all that is happening. It may be premature but it’s valid. The negativity you’re so tired of is justified. Nothing has been shown to the fans that we are on track, nothing.

I continue to keep an open mind but in the end a poor season will really dig deeper into a hole that’s already there. I am more understanding of the negativity because it’s based on facts. But don’t get me wrong, hope is great. Any Panther fan still standing at this point, even the negative nancies have hope. Hope is the staple of being a Panther fan. And when the hope turns to fact, we will see less negative nancies.

If we win week one, I hope you come back to calm the sunshine crowd down just the same because that day they will outnumber the nancies, guaranteed, but ultimately one game doesn’t mean much just the same.

Edited by onmyown

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

This franchise has a long history of having so many many, above average linebacker groups. It has spoiled us. 

Without a doubt, we don't have the talent across the group we normally do. Can't upgrade every position group do quickly, no matter how often we trade back. 

Agreed. If there is one thing this team is known for across the league historically it’s our LBers. No matter how good or bad we have been, LBer is virtually always been our biggest strength (one of certainly) in the past. 

• Pie 1

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Agreed. If there is one thing this team is known for across the league historically it’s our LBers. No matter how good or bad we have been, LBer is virtually always been our biggest strength (one of certainly) in the past. 

We use to draft at least 2 linebackers every year, just because.  

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

The doom and gloomers win today. But. Let me ask you, at this point, who is more factually validated? We averaged 5.5 wins the last 3 seasons. 5.5. It it were me, I’d be overlooking the sunshine crowd more based on that. And that’s all that is happening. It may be premature but it’s valid. The negativity you’re so tired of is justified. Nothing has been shown to the fans that we are on track, nothing.

I continue to keep an open mind but in the end a poor season will really dig deeper into a hole that’s already there. I am more understanding of the negativity because it’s based on facts. But don’t get me wrong, hope is great. Any Panther fan still standing at this point, even the negative nancies have hope. Hope is the staple of being a Panther fan. And when the hope turns to fact, we will see less negative nancies.

If we win week one, I hope you come back to calm the sunshine crowd down just the same because that day they will outnumber the nancies, guaranteed, but ultimately one game doesn’t mean much just the same.

Well today the sky is apparently falling based on our 3rd string blowing a lead that players who will be on the roster had rewarded us with. So no, THAT aspect doesn’t really follow logic. Our backups were better in the first half. The vast majority of the second half was played by players who won’t even be on the roster.

Secondly, I somewhat hear what you are saying, but this is a team that’s entire coaching staff is in their second year. Yeah we have been bad, but that resulted in a fire sale of staff and players. This team is virtually new from top to bottom. They sort of deserve a little time to implement their system and assess what they have. I understand the frustration with losing, but the “facts” you mention aren’t really facts. You can’t compare what previous coaches, GMs and players did to what is now virtually an entirely new regime. That just isn’t based on reality. 

Obviously beating the Jets doesn’t warrant a parade. And I won’t be bragging heavily about a win against them. But even still, it holds more validation than two practice squads playing against each other. 

• Pie 4

I don’t think PJ can make it as a starter but I hope you are right. That only benefits us. But if he can turn out to be a decently reliable backup, that’s still an important position and one we need. So I’ll be just fine with that.

161 yards in the first = 300 plus yards and a possible touchdown had pj walker finished the game. 

that is starter material, does he have problems that can be fixed? yeah.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

You'll find some of the best and smartest fans in here  and you'll also find the worst and dumbest ones as well.

Good luck finding out which is which.

We all have our high and low points. I was absolutely opposed to drafting CMC and Luke. Was only mildly warm on the idea of drafting Cam. 

The difference was I refrained from starting threads accusing the FO of stupidity and incompetence after we took them lol.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Well today the sky is apparently falling based on our 3rd string blowing a lead that players who will be on the roster had rewarded us with. So no, THAT aspect doesn’t really follow logic. Our backups were better in the first half. The vast majority of the second half was played by players who won’t even be on the roster.

Secondly, I somewhat hear what you are saying, but this is a team that’s entire coaching staff is in their second year. Yeah we have been bad, but that resulted in a fire sale of staff and players. This team is virtually new from top to bottom. They sort of deserve a little time to implement their system and assess what they have. I understand the frustration with losing, but the “facts” you mention aren’t really facts. You can’t compare what previous coaches, GMs and players did to what is now virtually an entirely new regime. That just isn’t based on reality. 

Obviously beating the Jets doesn’t warrant a parade. And I won’t be bragging heavily about a win against them. But even still, it holds more validation than two practice squads playing against each other. 

Fair. He also had 1 TD to 5 INTs last season and overthrew a lot of balls today. 

I don’t hate the guy. I’m rooting for him. I just don’t see the skill set personally. But I hope he’s a league MVP in a Panthers jersey one day haha. I just find that unlikely. And like I said, backup is an important position. If he can competently hold it down, that doesn’t mean he’s bad. Very few QBs will ever make it to the NFL backup caliber level 

• Beer 1

This isn’t really me crying about not liking what posters have to say, nor am I interested in ignoring what seems like half the board today.

This is more pointing out how ridiculous some of the overreactions are today whilst adding some legitimate insight into what I took away from the game. 

Judging by the positive reacts so far, I think I spoke for quite a few people on this sentiment. Thus I think this was a thread worth making.

I almost always avoid the live game threads.  They tend towards extreme reactions and a lot of stuff that's not really worth reading.

But once the dust settles and emotions quiet a bit, there are usually some good threads worth reading.

Thanks for good observations & perspective.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, RenoCarolina said:

I enjoyed the write up but I’ve been here since day one and over-reacting to preseason games is one of the few traditions still alive from the old days. 

Truth. I lurked here since 2012 before I joined in 2014. Not much has changed in 10 seasons on this front.