• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question...what if P.J is better then S D?

Jmac

40 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

No, not at all…,simply presenting another scenario.  I believe in him, doesn’t matter to me where, as long as he’s happy.  

Everyone wins if he succeeds in Carolina.  

But here's the issue.

You trade him anywhere else again, he's done as an NFL Starter.

This is IT.

If he can't succeed here as a long-term NFL QB Starter, he can't succeed anywhere.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, 1usctrojan said:

Well, Sam loves Charlotte….give him a chance to be good enough.  If he improves, trade him next year, at least you’re not exposing a rookie to an oline that is a work in progress.  Won’t be long till you find out what you have.  

Great post.  Hope this works out.

2 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

If PJ is better than Darnold, that's not only a terrible sign for this season and the immediate outlook of this franchise but would make the Darnold trade one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

Having said that, PJ is still a reasonable backup. If Darnold gets hurt and we're not looking competitive, we can trot him out, make our games semi-interesting even if largely uncompetitive, and angle for a top draft pick. If Darnold keeps us afloat for a playoff spot leading up to his injury, we can scour the league and buy low on a semi-decent fill in (e.g. Minshew or Foles) and leave PJ as the backup.

its almost like yall don't listen to what people are saying. semi interesting? thats like the polar oppsoite of what people have said about his game. 

7 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

Now he has the talent. But just 5 months ago when he was still on the JETs thats not how most of you felt. I just think this sudden switch up is weird.

I can see where it can seem weird.  I honestly wouldn't have given Darnold another look had we not traded for him.  I thought wtf are they doing?  When we had Darnold, and Fields was there at 8 I thought for sure we'd take Fields.  Darnold was insurance in case no good QB's fell.  Nope, they rode with Darnold.  So then after it was official we're rolling this guy, I thought I'd dig into it a little bit.  I started with highlights, but then watched some games.  The guy has talent, and most people agree on that.  There were flashes in most games.

So I figured I'd do a look into just how bad the jets were, outside the QB.  That's when I realized that Fit and Rhule were on to something.  When you have one of the worst o-lines in the league, with one of the highest pressure %, shortest unpressured pocket time, receivers with the dropsies who can't get separation, franchise-record-low run game, no QB coach, and literally have trouble snapping the ball, it became apparent that Darnold was carrying too much with that team.  In three years he missed several games for injury and illness.  They didn't win ONE game he missed.  Not one.  That's when I joined the "give Darnold a chance" club.

Some people aren't going to switch until we're winning.  That's fine.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I can see where it can seem weird.  I honestly wouldn't have given Darnold another look had we not traded for him.  I thought wtf are they doing?  When we had Darnold, and Fields was there at 8 I thought for sure we'd take Fields.  Darnold was insurance in case no good QB's fell.  Nope, they rode with Darnold.  So then after it was official we're rolling this guy, I thought I'd dig into it a little bit.  I started with highlights, but then watched some games.  The guy has talent, and most people agree on that.  There were flashes in most games.

So I figured I'd do a look into just how bad the jets were, outside the QB.  That's when I realized that Fit and Rhule were on to something.  When you have one of the worst o-lines in the league, with one of the highest pressure %, shortest unpressured pocket time, receivers with the dropsies who can't get separation, franchise-record-low run game, no QB coach, and literally have trouble snapping the ball, it became apparent that Darnold was carrying too much with that team.  In three years he missed several games for injury and illness.  They didn't win ONE game he missed.  Not one.  That's when I joined the "give Darnold a chance" club.

Yeah but PJ would have blocked for himself and threw it to himself on a playbook he wrote the night before so we better start him, especially after the MVP like performance Sunday. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Yeah but PJ would have blocked for himself and threw it to himself on a playbook he wrote the night before so we better start him, especially after the MVP like performance Sunday. 

Ok?  Apparently someone's mad at PJ.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, SBBlue said:

The skepticism by some is a bit annoying (especially when some are just proclaiming him to be the worst QB in the history of the NFL and continue to whine about Fields or want PJ to start[that's CP, though] ) but I guess it's a What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately league so I'm sure if(or rather...WHEN) Sam plays well and helps the Panthers win NFL games, that attitude will start trending toward a more Positive outlook.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He has a good arm. He has plus athleticism. He's not Mahomes or Rodgers but he has the talent to be a legit NFL QB. Do I think it's going to happen? Honestly, no I don't. But the possibility does exist. The odds were 0.00% with Teddy.

The odds are high that Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Jones bust too.

You have to bring more than odds to the table in a discussion about QBs. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Odds aren't high the entire class busts.  

Especially Trevor and Fields both busting IMO.  I think it is a safe bet at least one of them becomes a legit franchise QB.   There college resumes answered a lot more questions IMO than your standard top tier prospect. 

4 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

OK. 22 QBs chosen in the top half of the first round from 2011-19. First year of rookie deals that changed everything. 

7 are(were) worthy of that status. Cam, Luck, Watson, Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Murray. Tannehill and Goff could go either way. 

13 were busts. Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Manuel, RG111, Bortles, Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky, Jones. 

So of 20, there is a 35% a team gets a franchise QB. Of all those busts, who “turned” it around? Tannehill was on his 2nd contract, with a major injury, on the team that drafted him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

OK. 22 QBs chosen in the top half of the first round from 2011-19. First year of rookie deals that changed everything. 

7 are(were) worthy of that status. Cam, Luck, Watson, Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Murray. Tannehill and Goff could go either way. 

13 were busts. Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Manuel, RG111, Bortles, Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky, Jones. 

So of 20, there is a 35% a team gets a franchise QB. Of all those busts, who “turned” it around? Tannehill was on his 2nd contract, with a major injury, on the team that drafted him.

also, the busts get weird.  I mean, Mariota vs Manuel for example.   Serviceable player vs doesn't belong in the league. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

also, the busts get weird.  I mean, Mariota vs Manuel for example.   Serviceable player vs doesn't belong in the league. 

You get taken that high and don’t get a 2nd contract with that team, that’s a bust. And Mariota cost much more in draft capital.