• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not bringing in competition for Darnold or Slye was a huge mistake

hepcat

11 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I don't care how much people poo me. Sam Darnold this offseason is the most I have EVER seen a player be sheltered. I don't see how this can be good for us. If someone has a legitimate reason why Sam has only made 2 throws I'd love to hear it.

Keep him healthy. Take all reps in CONTROLLED joint practice environments. 

You'll see him at length Friday, its the smart thing BECAUSE we have a steep fall off at #2.

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, hepcat said:

And Darnold is BARELY PLAYING? WTF.

This is where you lost me. Starting QB's barely play in second preseason games. It is known. Reacting this way screams casual poorly informed fan. You've been around these boards alone long enough to know better. 

Calm down.

Have some dip.

*offers him chips and cheese.*

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wow. Just...wow 😕

Do you disagree? Passing on Justin Fields or even Mac Jones when he fell into their laps when you’ve got a QB who has been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL over the last 3 seasons as your new starter is a move that could get people fired. 

They didn’t even sign a veteran QB with some starting experience or hell keep Bridgewater to be a backup. They put all their eggs in the Sam Darnold basket which makes no sense to me based on his history as a starter.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

This is where you lost me. Starting QB's barely play in second preseason games. It is known. Reacting this way screams casual poorly informed fan. You've been around these boards alone long enough to know better. 

Calm down.

Have some dip.

*offers him chips and cheese.*

Darnold has done nothing to earn that treatment. He’s getting it because the Panthers have no other options in case Darnold fails so they’re playing it safe. I get that, but it wouldn’t be that way if they had a plan B. If this was Fields vs Darnold they’d both be getting playing time. 

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Do you disagree? Passing on Justin Fields or even Mac Jones when he fell into their laps when you’ve got a QB who has been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL over the last 3 seasons as your new starter is a move that could get people fired. 

They didn’t even sign a veteran QB with some starting experience or hell keep Bridgewater to be a backup. They put all their eggs in the Sam Darnold basket which makes no sense to me based on his history as a starter.

Ask me in about ten weeks or so.

Rhule and Fitterer watched the film of Darnold's entire Jets career. Fitterer had already scouted him for the Seahawks and Rhule met with him when he was interviewing for the Jets job.

They and the rest of their pro staff decided they were comfortable with him as their guy.

Will they be proven right? Don't know, but I do know preseason freak outs are silly regardless.

• Pie 5

23 minutes ago, hepcat said:

And that’s the whole point of creating this post. Not bringing in competition for Darnold is a huge mistake. Coddling him like he’s already an established starter isn’t a good idea. Not having a backup plan in case he fails will get people fired (hopefully)

so you’re hoping the team fails just so you can be proven right? maybe we should have some competition for who’s allowed to be a fan.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, hepcat said:

Darnold has done nothing to earn that treatment. He’s getting it because the Panthers have no other options in case Darnold fails so they’re playing it safe. I get that, but it wouldn’t be that way if they had a plan B. If this was Fields vs Darnold they’d both be getting playing time. 

As long as I have been watching the NFL, I don't ever recall seeing an expected starter play more than one series in the second preseason game. You may not think Darnold is the answer, I know I'm certainly not sold yet myself, but it's not up for debate that he's expected to start. It's not *treatment* so much as SOP.  If we had drafted Fields and he were here now in an open QB competition, then both QB's likely would have played a series each and you'd be posting questioning how we're supposed to evaluate them against each other with so little playing time. Keep in mind this team has played two full weeks of practice against two different NFL rosters. The coaches have had ample opportunity to evaluate Darnold against other teams players and he will play his most snaps on Friday. 

Chill. This is how this always works. Darnold's situation is not meaningfully different.  Either he's going to be the answer or he isn't. How much he plays in preseason game number 2 isn't going to move the needle on that. If he flops, then we'll lose most of our games and be in position for a top prospect next draft. I for one do not want some mid level backup riding great skill position players on O and a stout defense to the NFL purgatory that is 8-8.

5 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Bringing in competition for Darnold would have destroyed the Panthers in other areas.

What money/draft assets should the Panthers have employed, and then look at the trickle down effect of what we'd have lost.

Why is it no one ever does this?

Every personal decision in the NFL has an opportunity cost.

Every.

Single.

One.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

You are 100% correct. After seeing Trubiskey play with a decent team, everybody in Chicago should be fired.