• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fittermagic

MHS831

If he’s as good as Gettleman was at finding low priced FA gems that could contribute (like Luvu), but not an asshole at contract negotiations and cutting aging franchise stars without care (remains to be seen), and drafts more consistently than Hurney and Gettleman, we have a very good GM on our hands. 

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Is he a guard?  Or are you referring LT to RT?

Who knows? He's definitely a guy that played his entire college career as a LT, so he will be learning a new position since he clearly won't be playing there. 

We are also converting a UDFA TE from last year to a FB, when he was a WR/TE his entire college career. 

And we also converted Jeremy Chinn to LB after he played S/CB his entire college career.

We still do that stuff and there really isn't anything wrong with doing it. You just can't be as fuging inept at it as Marty Hurney was.

• Beer 1

Just now, hepcat said:

If he’s as good as Gettleman was at finding low priced FA gems that could contribute (like Luvu), but not an asshole at contract negotiations and cutting aging franchise stars without care (remains to be seen), and drafts more consistently than Hurney and Gettleman, we have a very good GM on our hands. 

Well......Gettleman had a lot of success with that early but that went down the toilet pretty quickly as his career in Carolina went on. I think that sort of went to his head a little bit. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Just wanted to start a thread to examine our new GM.  He is proactive, does not hesitate to make a move when needed, and he knows the talent pool, as it seems. So as I sit on my front porch this morning thinking, "How can I contribute to the Huddle today?" as a mild breeze wafted through my silky-fine hair, I thought, "Why not celebrate the man with the best moves on the team recently: Scott Fitterer."

His aggressive style:  Perryman traded, not cut of kept on the roster as in the past; Little traded instead of being cut or kept on the roster as in the past (Marty would milk his picks for all they were worth--the reason he wanted Marcel Dareus over Cam Newton--to see if Clausen would develop), and then we trade for a strong-legged kicker because we have had enough of Joey Slyce--instead of waiting to see who was cut and then trying to battle to sign them, we make a move--for the pick we got for Little (basically), so SF is playing with house money.

So far, the draft seems exceptional:  Yes, Horn is that guy, Marshall is a stud with first round talent, Christensen is going to find a place to play very soon (RT with Moton at LT or LG is my guess), Tremble is a player, Hubbard will give CMC some breathers and prolong his career, Nixon is showing that he can contribute, Shi Smith has been very good--a slot WR if I have ever seen one, Taylor seems to be a CB gem found late in the draft, and even Haskins can get up the field and make noise in the backfield....This tells me that he (and the scouts) have an eye for talent late in the draft, something we have never seen here very often.  This could go down as the best draft in franchise history if Horn and Marshall reach their potential and the other players mentioned contribute effectively.  Shi Smith is the sleeper who could remind us of another Smith at WR who was a sleeper, Nixon and Haskins could contribute to a rotation now (what? Day 3 picks you say?).  I have to be honest--I think Tremble is one of those locker room guys--a leader on the field with his tenacity and work ethic, an overachiever who will fire up the crowd and sideline.  He is another sleeper.  Christensen is a technician, a very athletic OL and he plays like it; he will find a place in the lineup soon.  So what is not to like so far? Horn will be the best CB we have seen in black and blue, and Marshall could be better than Moose. 

Free Agency:  The move that seems to impress me the most is Luvu.  Where did they find this 24 year old? (I know, the Jets where we found Anderson, Darnold, and Elflein) At worst a special team warrior, at best a starting LB very soon. Currently, he is on a 1-year, $1m contract). If he continues to play well, we could be locking him down soon. Reddick was a great move for a bargain ($8m, 1 year); maybe he has a good year and we can afford to re-sign him.  Dan Arnold looks to be a bargain for 2 years ($3m per) and Morgan Fox (2 years, $4m per).  Getting John Miller back on a $1m, 1 year deal (for a starting G) was a coup.  If Elflein or Erving materialize into players, free agency was a win.  The reason I say that is these players were the first signings during the open free agency period and we paid top dollar, imo.  If both bust, it hurts Fitt's stock.  Fitterer's background, however, is college scouting, so he should be better at drafting than working free agency, but both seem to be rather successful in my opinion.

Neck out, sharpen those swords and have at it or thank me for the obvious, but doggone it--I am worth it.

But, where is his Adam’s Apple?

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Who knows how it will play out, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hurney ever was.

Seems to understand roster construction, which has been missing from our front office for the majority of the last two decades.

Now we have to win.

As much as I believe that he will be, I am not prepared to say that yet. Dave Gettleman taught me that lesson.

• Beer 2

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We actually just did that with Brady Christensen.

At least he’s played oline before. I was thinking more along the lines of converting a QB to WR, DT to o-line, safety to CB and vice versa. Hurney was notorious for those projects. 

21 minutes ago, frankw said:

Of course not but there is a middle ground somewhere between that and immediate anointment before anything has been proven right? It's his first gm gig just like our last two. Who by the way had their own following at one point especially Gettleman who even had his own catchphrases. There are key qualities to like so far such as SF's clear aggressiveness in making moves and not being afraid to move on quickly. His first draft has plenty of potential. I am hopeful we see some positive results for the upcoming season and from there he will raise his profile with the fanbase.

Except for Fields, right? You already know he is a superstar and we were stupid for not taking him, right?...

2 minutes ago, Manna said:

At least he’s played oline before. I was thinking more along the lines of converting a QB to WR, DT to o-line, safety to CB and vice versa. Hurney was notorious for those projects. 

Chinn had never played LB before, but he did last year.

The problem wasn't Hurney thinking a player could play another position they hadn't, the problem was that his talent evaluation ability wasn't much deeper than that of a mock draft blogger. Probably less, actually.

3 minutes ago, Manna said:

I know what you’re saying, but that was on Hurney or Rhule 😛 not fit

I think those decisions also ultimately come down to the coach, even more so in this case because Rhule makes the bulk of these decisions anyway. I don't know that I believe Fitterer walks on water, like some have decided. I know that he doesn't operate the way any GM we have had in team history does. And I'm okay with that. Nice to have a breath of fresh air and hopefully it works out well.