• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cuts from around the league

Mr. Scot

The Detroit Lions waived-injured Crosby on Monday in a stunning move that comes months after they made their presumptive swing offensive tackle available via trade.

Apparently he has a hamstring injury.  I am thinking he was unhappy Detroit drafted a tackle in the 1st and he lost his starting job.  Played both left and right tackle for the Lions last year.  

Get 'em Fitterer!!!

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.
  • Pie 3

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:
Source: The #Bills are trading DE Darryl Johnson to the #Panthers.

Wait, I thought he played fullback?  Hold on, didn't he retire a long time ago??  How can he play games and be an announcer???  I'm so confused????? 😆

Daryl Johnston* 

I know you are kidding.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

Some things Lions fans are saying about the Crosby cut: 

I really liked Crosby and was hoping we'd keep him. Seeing how well he played as a fill-in starter for so many games last year, I have a hard time believing he was not worthy of a roster spot. Oh well, "what have you done for me lately" is what it comes down to, and I guess they didn't see it in him through the offseason. Wish him the best.

This looks like a red flag to me with this staff. You don’t cut swing tackles on rookie deals who have played well in previous seasons. The only way this makes sense is if they think the injury is going to hamper him/prevent him from playing all year and they know he is walking in FA next year. I suspect we will not look back kindly on this move.

Let's not forget, I'm not exactly sure on the waiver period, but they potentially could be trying to sneak him through for the practice squad which can have 16 members this season same could be said for Mike Ford

• Pie 1

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I really liked Crosby and was hoping we'd keep him. Seeing how well he played as a fill-in starter for so many games last year, I have a hard time believing he was not worthy of a roster spot. Oh well, "what have you done for me lately" is what it comes down to, and I guess they didn't see it in him through the offseason. Wish him the best.

This looks like a red flag to me with this staff. You don’t cut swing tackles on rookie deals who have played well in previous seasons. The only way this makes sense is if they think the injury is going to hamper him/prevent him from playing all year and they know he is walking in FA next year. I suspect we will not look back kindly on this move.

Let's not forget, I'm not exactly sure on the waiver period, but they potentially could be trying to sneak him through for the practice squad which can have 16 members this season same could be said for Mike Ford

There's no chance a guy with an NFL OT body is making it through waivers.

Those guys are as rare as hen's teeth in this day and age. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

There's no chance a guy with an NFL OT body is making it through waivers.

Those guys are as rare as hen's teeth in this day and age. 

Are we not high on the waiver list?  If he somehow makes it to us past the first several teams, we need to pounce!

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

This guy is wrong. Pretty sure they cannot put him on the practice squad if he's waived with an injury designation. Either another team claims him, or he reverts to the Lions' IR for the year. If he goes on IR, I imagine they would cut him with an injury settlement once he's healthy. No reason to keep a guy on an expiring contract that they don't want on IR for the year. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So it's come to this...

What else can they do?

Can't stash him on IR as he's not injured. Can't cut him as then you can't trade him. Isn't technically suspended by the NFL yet either I don't believe. They're in a tough bind. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So it's come to this...

Why is this a surprise?  Surely no one expected he would just be cut, right?

This is really the only thing they can do.  His trade value is non-existent right now, right or wrong.  He's worth $67 million in dead cap this year and $51 million next year.  The only way the Texans get out from under that is by waiting until 2023 to cut him OR find a trade partner.