• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We really rolling with this offensive line?

Zod

11 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

It's really weird how fans....fans,  think any football executive is ignoring such an important unit such as the offensive line. 

But as we all know, fans know better/best. 

I mean....

If they aren't ignoring it now,  I'd honestly hate to see what ignoring it actually looked like. It's very hard to argue they've made legitimate efforts to provide the kind of protection you'd hope to get for a new QB in his first season with the team. Drafting one mid round and one late round rookies and adding free agents that exactly zero independent observers are impressed with as legitimate starters? This after the unit has been repeatedly awful for several seasons in a row?

What argument that you would expect an informed neutral observer to accept would you put forward that they have not ignored the OL?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

My biggest fear is that we roll with the line long enough to ruin our chances for the playoffs than Rhule pulls a Rivera and puts the young guys in and we start to dominate.

One or Two games too late. 

That would suck a lot.

Erving and Elflein have extensive injury histories, so I am gonna guess we won't have to wait that long to see the young guys.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

My biggest fear is that we roll with the line long enough to ruin our chances for the playoffs than Rhule pulls a Rivera and puts the young guys in and we start to dominate.

One or Two games too late. 

This team really doesn’t have a chance for playoffs, I would look at next year. We’re not one of the 7 best teams in the nfc yet.

The first 2 teams we play have good DLines.  I think, however, that they are going to give the vets a shot first, meanwhile, all the experience (even if from the sideline) you can give the rookies, you try to give it to them.  Some of you think starting third round OL is the solution. 

That shortens the rookie season, making the "wall" less daunting.  Give them 10 games to play, not 17, and the chance for success is greater.

The Elflein contract was a head scratcher, but they were hoping his athleticism would help.

As for ignoring the OL, if they paid attention to the OL, would you be willing to hand over Marshall?  He was about the 57th pick and we could have grabbed a serviceable rookie in round 2--not great--but serviceable. 

It is probably our best bet to pray that Erving holds up at LT to some degree (w/ TE help) and that Christensen, Jordan, and maybe Brown develop quickly.

Edited by MHS831

14 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

We had a different team and quarterback then. Defense was really, really good.

Of course we did.  Our defense is good now.  You act as if this does not happen and that there are conditions--the conditions you describe apply to us.

In 2013, the Chiefs went 11-5 with new QB Alex Smith after going 2-14 the year before.

In 2008 the Dolphins finished 11-5 after nearly going 0-16 the year before--an OT win in week 15 saved them from that fate--and they brought in Chad Pennington. 

Alex Smith and Chad Pennington were no better than Sam Darnold before going to their new teams and turning it around.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Of course we did.  Our defense is good now.  You act as if this does not happen and that there are conditions--the conditions you describe apply to us.

In 2013, the Chiefs went 11-5 with new QB Alex Smith after going 2-14 the year before.

In 2008 the Dolphins finished 11-5 after nearly going 0-16 the year before--an OT win in week 15 saved them from that fate--and they brought in Chad Pennington. 

Alex Smith and Chad Pennington were no better than Sam Darnold before going to their new teams and turning it around.

Smith and Pennington had football smarts and an understanding of the game that was better than the coaches of the teams they had left. 

Darnold fits the pattern, but we're going to have to see if the football IQ and processing speed is there. In his one pre-season performance, it looked kinda promising.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Smith and Pennington had football smarts and an understanding of the game that was better than the coaches of the teams they had left. 

Darnold fits the pattern, but we're going to have to see if the football IQ and processing speed is there. In his one pre-season performance, it looked kinda promising.

I forgot Garropolo in 2019.  They traded for him in 2017 and he won 5 straight.  Then he was hurt in 2018 and they went 4-12.  In 2019, they went 13-3.  Again--not a star QB that cost 3 firsts and 2 seconds--a backup off another team's roster did it.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

THe OL needs to find its groove.  They are not very choreographed right now.  We will add a player or two throughout the season, but it should improve as we go.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

This team really doesn’t have a chance for playoffs, I would look at next year. We’re not one of the 7 best teams in the nfc yet.

It is way to early to predict this.  We have tons of weapons and a defense that can be really good.

If the defense can carry this team while we figure out a way to resolve our offensive line problems we have a chance to be in the playoffs. Our offense will score some points.  The defense is stingy we could win alot of close games. 

That's just me.  Always optimistic and try to see the good things we have going for us.