• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speed vs Power

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It happens though. That's a "waiit and see" thing of course.

My bigger concern is that even if other teams aren't necessarily built to attack us that same way, we're still weak in the middle once you get past our defensive tackles.

Middle linebacker and safety aren't positions of strength for us right now. And although I'd love to add an "except for Chinn" disclaimer, I really don't feel like I can.

It's very possible that Chinn just needs more time to transition himself to a safety role, but the early returns haven't been great.

No doubt, and I think that we need to prepare better, but we were in a pickle down there.

They are more talented than we are at almost every position group on the field last week, except maybe pass rusher...and thier much better O Line negated that.  We decide to sell out to stop the run, and we could have....Cooper, Lamb and Co. were gonna absolutely crush us through the air...We had two players playing CB for us who had never worn a Panthers uniform...I'm sure we were having to protect them a TON...hence getting crushed in the run game.

My opinion, there are only a couple teams in the NFL who can do that consistently this season, and Dallas is one of them.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

heard someone on NFL network talking about the game yesterday.  He said the old adage of dealing with speed is to run right at it, and that's what the Cowboys did.

However, the Cowboys do have an excellent OL and 2 excellent backs, one of whom is a beast.  Just not a good matchup for us.

Sadly not the first time we've been beaten by that approach either.

That's pretty much what the Packers did to us in the 96 NFC Championship game.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It happens though. That's a "waiit and see" thing of course.

My bigger concern is that even if other teams aren't necessarily built to attack us that same way, we're still weak in the middle once you get past our defensive tackles.

Dallas has a very good passing attack as well.  Dak has turned in to one of the better qb's in the league.  If not for that, their run game wouldn't be anywhere near as potent.  Its not the power rushing that makes them a threat, its the combination of power rushing and potent pass attack.  

38 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Dallas has a very good passing attack as well.  Dak has turned in to one of the better qb's in the league.  If not for that, their run game wouldn't be anywhere near as potent.  Its not the power rushing that makes them a threat, its the combination of power rushing and potent pass attack.  

That rushing game is what allowed them to salt it away in the second half though.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, NAS said:

Not sure, tbh,  He got burned on Sunday.

Watch-out my friend, while true, this type of opinion will get the snake poop mountain....

I said Chinn needed to step-up after CMC went down, many here hated that thought. He has not found his place back there and Snow needs to do better for him as well. D has/was ballin....without Chinn. His impact has not been there thus far in the first 4 weeks. He needs to get back to play-maker status, no TOs or these 3 tackle averages?? Get back on the DPOTW horse!!

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Without sitting down and looking at the rosters, I'm not certain. As mentioned above, NFL rules over the last several years have favored passing and I think most teams have built accordingly.

For what it's worth, that also means Dallas could be set up for a pretty good run because teams have been building their defenses to stop the pass. A good power running team might be able to tear through those defenses like tissue paper.

That is certainly a possiblitlity.