Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

It's 2005 again


Mr. Scot
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I don't care if he disagrees with my analysis this is my opinion. 

I'm chuckling at you trying to question someone's football acumen. 

5 ints in 2 games doesn't spell great quarterbacking no matter how you spin it. 

You just indicated that "playing at a higher level" gave you more authority. But when it was pointed out to you that someone who played at a much higher level than you disagreed with you, you threw out your own appeal.

Not exactly sound debate technique...

I believe the kids refer to that as having "just played yourself" 😐

Edited by Mr. Scot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You just indicated that "playing at a higher level" gave you more authority. But when it was pointed out to you that someone who played at a much higher level than you disagreed with you, you threw out your own appeal.

Not exactly sound debate technique...

I believe the kids refer to that as having "just played yourself" 😐

No Edwardo.

I never said it gave me the authority on anything you indicated I didn't know what I was speaking about because I disagreed with your opinion. 

I simply stated I'll put my experience and knowledge up against yours any day of the week. You made it personal not me. 

Again Sam has done some good things but this offense hasn't really looked efficient all year, they had leads for the most part and he hasn't been asked to do too much. 

I stand by what I said so far trading for Donald appears to be a lateral move from a season ago.

 

 

  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pantherxtreme said:

No Edwardo.

I never said it gave me the authority on anything you indicated I didn't know what I was speaking about because I disagreed with your opinion. 

I simply stated I'll put my experience and knowledge up against yours any day of the week. You made it personal not me. 

Again Sam has done some good things but this offense hasn't really looked efficient all year, they had leads for the most part and he hasn't been asked to do too much. 

I stand by what I said so far trading for Donald appears to be a lateral move from a season ago.

And I said that regardless of your experience level, automatically blaming everything on the quarterback is shallow analysis.

And sorry, but I will take Steve Smith's opinion over yours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And I said that regardless of your experience level, automatically blaming everything on the quarterback is shallow analysis.

And sorry, but I will take Steve Smith's opinion over yours.

I'm not placing all the blame on the quarterback, but I am going to hold him to the same standard that was applied to other quarterbacks. Protect the football, that's something that he can control.

 

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No doubt the offense is different with CMC in there, and I know it opens up things for all the other guys out there when he's healthy.  That being said, I can't agree with this, Scot.  DJ and Robby each had 1k yards last season with no CMC.  TMJ was flashing all through camp and preseason.  Tremble has shown a ton to like early with the more snaps he's gotten.

To me, the issue is the ball distribution.  For all of his shortcomings and his penchant for checking the ball down, Teddy spread the ball around well.  Yes, he also missed a ton of deep throws to DJ last season, in particular, buy he was spreading the ball around relatively efficiently.  I dont know if Brady has shifted his scheme and philosophy, if he's trying to show a different dimension to help himself in his next HC interview, if Darnold is just hitting his first couple of progressions, or if it all lies at the feet of the OL...  or it could be a combination of all of that.  The line wasn't very good last year either, so I just don't know.  But, something is different.  The players are just as skilled and talented, but the ball isn't getting to them.  And despite the issues with the OL, I'm really thinking it is Darnold's decisions. 

Even this week, on a down early in the first half, they showed a replay where Darnold looked to his first read, which was Ian Thomas running to the flat to his left, he was wide open.  For some reason, Darnold came all the way back across the field to his right side, and threw it over there.  The play wasn't hugely consequential, but I remember Olsen saying he didn't know what "spooked" Darnold off of his first read.  What I'm getting at is, while Teddy's obsession with getting it out quick regardless of down or distance was detrimental because it robbed us of big plays when they were there, Darnold's seeming indecision is just as detrimental because the ball sometime isn't even getting out of his hand at all...  5 yards is better than -5 yards or a pick or incompletion because everything is covered up.  Darnold has said himself that some of the sacks are on him because he's holding onto it too long.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

No doubt the offense is different with CMC in there, and I know it opens up things for all the other guys out there when he's healthy.  That being said, I can't agree with this, Scot.  DJ and Robby each had 1k yards last season with no CMC.  TMJ was flashing all through camp and preseason.  Tremble has shown a ton to like early with the more snaps he's gotten.

To me, the issue is the ball distribution.  For all of his shortcomings and his penchant for checking the ball down, Teddy spread the ball around well.  Yes, he also missed a ton of deep throws to DJ last season, in particular, buy he was spreading the ball around relatively efficiently.  I dont know if Brady has shifted his scheme and philosophy, if he's trying to show a different dimension to help himself in his next HC interview, if Darnold is just hitting his first couple of progressions, or if it all lies at the feet of the OL...  or it could be a combination of all of that.  The line wasn't very good last year either, so I just don't know.  But, something is different.  The players are just as skilled and talented, but the ball isn't getting to them.  And despite the issues with the OL, I'm really thinking it is Darnold's decisions. 

Even this week, on a down early in the first half, they showed a replay where Darnold looked to his first read, which was Ian Thomas running to the flat to his left, he was wide open.  For some reason, Darnold came all the way back across the field to his right side, and threw it over there.  The play wasn't hugely consequential, but I remember Olsen saying he didn't know what "spooked" Darnold off of his first read.  What I'm getting at is, while Teddy's obsession with getting it out quick regardless of down or distance was detrimental because it robbed us of big plays when they were there, Darnold's seeming indecision is just as detrimental because the ball sometime isn't even getting out of his hand at all...  5 yards is better than -5 yards or a pick or incompletion because everything is covered up.  Darnold has said himself that some of the sacks are on him because he's holding onto it too long.

I think combo but agree.  It's not that Darnold doesn't go through reads but if his first read isn't there, it's like he has this jitter bug nature to him on deciding where to go.  Yes, we have an OL situation but even in his clean pockets, he doesn't seem to see the whole field.  He's one, two, three, rather than more a field scanning the field approach with anticipation.

The fact that Marshall, Robby, and our TEs production has fallen off so much is telling we're trying to cater this offense to his benefit but now that defenses have responded, it's time to respond on offense...and we haven't been.  We really need to see him reading the field better and distributing to the right guys at the right time.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Now in the past, we've tossed it short to  Anderson and let him run with it. I'd like to see more of that again. Keep him as a field stretcher for sure, but get him the ball more short as well and let him run with it. We do that with DJ Moore and we've done it with McCaffrey. Why not more with Anderson as well? I'd say it's worth a shot.

When teams commit to taking away Tyreek Hill deep, Andy calls drag routes for him to catch and run. Brady could do something similar for Anderson. Maybe he is but the line isn't allow for that either, I don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry but this a terrible take. The offensive line in 2005 would be the best line this team would have fielded in the last decade. That allows a guy like Nick Going to look like an actual NFL running back and gave Jake enough time to sit in the pocket and deliver deep balls to Steve Smith.

This current team cannot do any of that. We have plenty of talent at the skill positions and it shows flashes when Sam gets some protection. It seems like as the game goes on, the offensive gets worse and starts to falter probably because the other team is seeing what we are doing and adjusts to shut it down. On the other hand, I'm convinced Joe Brady doesn't know what he's looking at when it comes to opposing defenses and how to call plays to counter those looks. After 5 games, I don't think it is a coincidence that the offensive completely flatlines come the third quarter. Opposing defenses adjust and Joe Brady is either incapable of recognizing that or just too stubborn to give a poo.

Running similar plays over and over to the point where opposing players know what a receiver is about to do before the ball is snapped has nothing to do with a players talent or ability to get open. It is nothing more than piss poor coaching and play calling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, Mr. Scot said:
On 10/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, Pantherxtreme said:

Old man I played football for surely at a higher level than your ass. 

I know what good Qb play looks at we are getting mediocre at best. Can he improve hopefully.  But right now the investment is on the downward turn. 

Sure you did 😐

Question though if you want to throw that card: Did you play at a higher level than Steve Smith?

I ask because if you look in the other thread you'll see he disagrees with your analysis.

By your expert "insider" based opinion...

...is the inimitable Steve Smith Sr. the ultimate arbiter as it goes to all things right or wrong in the area of football oriented "analysis"...?!?

Or is this simply a case of situational convenience? 

😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's a combination....all of which are fixable btw. Maybe not all this year but: 

A. Oline: Idunno exactly how good Pat Elfien is but maybe there is a correlation between the time he went down and our line just completely collapsing. I just don't remember our line being "this" bad when he was in the line up. Erving isn't special but he can hold his own at times. If both of these guys are down, our line really becomes swiss cheese. Matt Paradis is a backup at best. It's too early to tell on BC so that leaves Moton as our only dependable starter. This offseason, without a doubt focus should go here. Free Agency and a pick. Ideally, you wouldn't want all rookies starting on your line. But wherever we can get upgrades, I'm all for it. 

B.) Receivers: While we do have talented receivers, they play somewhat soft. Almost as if they've lost confidence. They rarely attack the football. Added to the drops they suddenly have issues with. Also, the seperation is lacking but 88 has been open alot this season. Being the 3rd option with a faulty line doesn't help Marshall's case.

C.) Darnold: We can't protect him, as the line gets worse he follows. He's pressing too hard at times. He's a reflection of the shape our line is in. As his trust fades so goes his footwork. He's also eyeing his primary read a little to much and AGAIN, bad things happen when we force feed Anderson. It's gotta happen organically. 

D.) Brady: Some of his calls are genius, others not so much. He can draw up a play, it's when he calls that play that's the problem. It's siuational. Also, noticed the timing if off....by the time Sam finishes his drop the receivers haven't finished their routes. I think Darnold's distrust in the line is subconsciously causing his feet to move faster when the ball is snapped. That's pure speculation though. We also seem to abandon the run too early. 

McCaffrey:  There is alot of value in having a reliable 3rd down and check down option. Its obvious to now that there is a reason he gets so many touches. Not out of option but necessity. Would explain Samuel's numbers last year when he took the role after injury. The volume is still too much though and while Hubbard is good, he's not in the same realm as CMC. I'm not even mentioning blitz pickup. I do think by next year, he'll be ready to take on some of those carries/catches. Esp if he progresses like Christian did in year two. 

TE: Dan Arnold was a safety blanket for our QB. We may have undervalued his importance. Hopefully Tremble gets up to speed.

We we're too good too soon. Fooled the fanbase and the staff too early. False hope. Yet and still we have 10 more games to play. Just my personal opinion of our current state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...