• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alec Baldwin

Brooklyn 3.0

15 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Still makes no sense to have real ammo on a set. My friend works on the set of Walker. Yes, they rebooted Walker Texas Ranger. She said they use 3D replicas and Air Soft with zero shooting capability.

Any redneck with some basic gun safety training would have known this could be a disaster...

22 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

Baldwin's producer title may have been ceremonial but that doesn't necessarily remove duty of care. It probably depends on the contract and the responsibilities of other producers. The courts will figure that out. Maybe.

I don't get the argument that he glorified gun violence in movies though.

This. Not so much "ceremonial" as Hollywood accounting shenanigans. You see this a lot in low budget/indie movies with A-list talent. Basically, films that don't have a large above the line budget can't pay their talent up front, so they give them producer credits, so they can get more money on the back end once the film is released.

• Pie 1

• 1 month later...

Jesus Christ. Seriously, do y'all have the slightest idea about basic firearm safety? If anyone hands you a gun, the first thing you do is check the chamber. Is it loaded? It doesn't matter if they tell you it's not loaded. You absolutely assume that it is until you confirm for yourself that it is not. He openly admitted several times that he did not do that. Granted, maybe that's acceptable on a movie set. If so, that needs to change. That's firearm idiocy. That's not political. That's just basic firearms safety 101. 

He claims he never squeezed the trigger. They're gonna put that gun through the ringer. If they can't duplicate an accidental discharge there's gonna be a BIG problem with his story.

George Clooney's comments lead me to believe this level of firearms idiocy is not commonplace on film sets.

"Every single time I'm handed a gun on the set, every time they hand me a gun I look at it, I open it," Clooney told Maron on the November 15 episode. "I show it to the person I'm pointing it to, I show it to the crew. Every single take, you hand it back to the armorer when you're done."

What Clooney said makes perfect sense. That's how someone with a decent understanding of firearms safety would handle such a situation.

Baldwin's response to that on national television?

"If your protocol is you check the gun every time, well, good for you."

Fuging YIKES. Anyone with a basic understanding of firearms safety is just left gobsmacked by a statement like that.

Y'all, I don't give a fug about political leaning. I give zero fugs about the Democratic or Republican parties and I honestly think the modern definitions of political "right" and "left" basically translate to "hopelessly ideologically confused". That is just stunningly blatant disregard for firearms safety following a fatal shooting when you were holding the gun.

The prosecutor knows they'll be up against the absolute best legal defense money can buy and that will unfortunately play a major role here in whether or not charges are ultimately filed, but honestly... if this prosecutor has any guts charges are getting filed. At minimum he's guilty of gross negligence and possibly others on the set as well.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

George Clooney's comments lead me to believe this level of firearms idiocy is not commonplace on film sets.

"Every single time I'm handed a gun on the set, every time they hand me a gun I look at it, I open it," Clooney told Maron on the November 15 episode. "I show it to the person I'm pointing it to, I show it to the crew. Every single take, you hand it back to the armorer when you're done."

What Clooney said makes perfect sense. That's how someone with a decent understanding of firearms safety would handle such a situation.

Fuging YIKES. Anyone with a basic understanding of firearms safety is just left gobsmacked by a statement like that.

Y'all, I don't give a fug about political leaning. I give zero fugs about the Democratic or Republican parties and I honestly think the modern definitions of political "right" and "left" basically translate to "hopelessly ideologically confused". That is just stunningly blatant disregard for firearms safety following a fatal shooting when you were holding the gun.

The prosecutor knows they'll be up against the absolute best legal defense money can buy and that will unfortunately play a major role here in whether or not charges are ultimately filed, but honestly... if this prosecutor has any guts charges are getting filed. At minimum he's guilty of gross negligence and possibly others on the set as well.

Could be ignorance, not negligence. I don’t know his history. Setting politics and feelings about firearms aside let me make an objective statement I have witnessed and experienced again and again and again.

A large portion of people fear guns, they have been taught, teach and preach not to use, look at, or handle any firearms. Guns are bad. It’s demonized. And that’s fine no objections. 

Could be his experience. His prerogative. However if it is, he likely has no clue how to handle a gun or any safety measures. I’d be willing to bet he does not know the cardinal rules. And I’d also be willing to bet no one even offered to teach him and he may not have known to ask. This is a problem. The director or whomever disregarding this is a problem. (Should this be the case)

He likely has absolutely no idea clearing a weapon/making sure it’s clear, every time you pick one up, is something that’s universal known among people familiar with firearms…I assume that is where his comment came in.

Edited by onmyown

He cocked the damn hammer back. I bet he thought it did what it didn't do and it slipped. He shouldn't be charged at all. It was an accident. But him saying he doesn't feel guilty or feels at fault is a bit much. Dude is a POS. Verbally abuses his spouse and kids, assaults people on the street, etc. Funny actor or not, he's not immune to criticism.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Could be ignorance, not negligence. I don’t know his history. Setting politics and feelings about firearms aside let me make an objective statement I have witnessed and experienced again and again and again.

A large portion of people fear guns, they have been taught, teach and preach not to use, look at, or handle any firearms. Guns are bad. It’s demonized. And that’s fine no objections. 

Could be his experience. His prerogative. However if it is, he likely has no clue how to handle a gun or any safety measures. I’d be willing to bet he does not know the cardinal rules. And I’d also be willing to bet no one even offered to teach him and he may not have known to ask. This is a problem. The director or whomever disregarding this is a problem. (Should this be the case)

He likely has absolutely no idea clearing a weapon/making sure it’s clear, every time you pick one up, is something that’s universal known among people familiar with firearms…I assume that is where his comment came in.

We're talking about firearms here. Ignorance IS negligence.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're talking about firearms here. Ignorance IS negligence.

Right. But that doesn’t solve anything or consider the full scope. Saying something happened because someone is ignorant and therefore negligent doesn’t do anything. Ignorance is just that. Some of society reinforces ignorance. That’s the point. That’s the part of the problem. And that shares the blame.

No one should think the answer is saying Baldwin should have known better without asking why he did not know better is all I’m saying. 

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don’t get how this could have even been an issue. Was Baldwin never trained to hold guns? Ever? Literally even with BB’s or what not when I’m handed any gun I check it or confirm with whoever gave it, loaded it to me with what it’s status is. It’s literally second nature. 

My biggest “WTF” moment was the fact he claimed he never pulled the trigger. The only explanation to me is like I said when it happened if it was a very old antique gun, anything else he would have had to pressure the trigger. I feel like as a prosecutor they could run with that comment too, even with the amount of money going against them. If they can prove he pulled the trigger, it would be over now that he said he didn’t. 

Edited by Harbingers