• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday's presser: Double down on Foxball

trueblade

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

I don't think you can count on a "low scoring game" in today's NFL, so that's not a standard any D should be held to in order to be considered elite.

I can't think of another squad that could go out and give that much effort when they're on the field for 35 minutes, and just have time to get a breather while the offense goes 3-and-out.

I don't blame them in the least for the Giants game.

But man, they let us down in the 2nd half vs Minnesota and Dallas.  Yes, the offense fuged up in both cases too, but the D folded like a chair after ST scored a TD vs Minnesota, and failed to get a final stop for a tie / win vs MN and DAL.  That's why I don't think they are truly elite. Rhule is counting on them winning us low scoring games... I just don't see it.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

moments after the game he quickly made it known Darnold was starting next week and every game after that.    That it wasn't an actual benching.   He didn't want people to think that. 

Sounds pretty coddling to me.   

Or PJ is just so bad, Darnold is just the only real choice on the roster. Darnold has shown more as a Panther than PJ.  They've both also been terrible, so...

Too bad we don't have another alternative

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

moments after the game he quickly made it known Darnold was starting next week and every game after that.    That it wasn't an actual benching.   He didn't want people to think that. 

If you don't know what a word means lots of stuff might sound like it

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

What choice does he have? You think PJ is going to fix it? It's not coddling, it's admitting failure. 

Just now, mav1234 said:

Or PJ is just so bad, Darnold is just the only real choice on the roster. Darnold has shown more as a Panther than PJ.  They've both also been terrible, so...

I think the right move is to start PJ if this current trend continues.  A prepped start for a game is just different than late game pass only duty while down.    And in PJ's start.....we moved the ball.   We aren't moving the ball.   At all.  You could break out the dang triple option for all I care.  I am under no illusion PJ is good or will be. 

But to say he can't at least move the ball better than what Sam has done the last 3 starts minus 1 quarter? I don't buy.  Bad QBs that shouldn't start can move the ball better than what Sam has done the past 3 games with Sam (minus the Vikings 4th q). 

So I am not firmly back where I was last year.  If we are going to lose, I think PJ would be more entertaining.  So that is what I think we should do.   And he is aggressive enough downfield it would at least be entertaining.   Good football isn't on table. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the right move is to start PJ if this current trend continues.  A prepped start for a game is just different than late game pass only duty while down.    And in PJ's start.....we moved the ball.   We aren't moving the ball.   At all.  You could break out the dang triple option for all I care.  I am under no illusion PJ is good or will be. 

But to say he can't at least move the ball better than what Sam has done the last 3 starts minus 1 quarter? I don't buy.  Bad QBs that shouldn't start can move the ball better than what Sam has done the past 3 games with Sam (minus the Vikings 4th q). 

So I am not firmly back where I was last year.  If we are going to lose, I think PJ would be more entertaining.  So that is what I think we should do.   And he is aggressive enough downfield it would at least be entertaining.   Good football isn't on table. 

See I look at it this way, PJ might actually win us a game or two but Darnold is guaranteed to cost us every game in his own right the rest of the way. Having him at the helm gives us a better chance at a higher pick. I say stick with the turnover machine. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think that was by design. At this point I would be fine never seeing Darnold play again. Its not like we're going to win anyway. The team has given up...its going to be really ugly from here out.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What choice does he have? You think PJ is going to fix it? It's not coddling, it's admitting failure. 

you start evaluting who should even be on the roster and be taking up space.   PJ is our backup for the 2nd year and row.

Well, go find out if he actually should have the backup gig.  Get that answered for the world to see.  You started him once in place an injured QB and manged to win with him that time.  Pretend Sam is hurt from sucking so bad and see if you can manage to find a way to win an actual game with him.  Give him two starts.  If you can't? Well, don't keep bringing him back as backup anymore.  Now everyone knows you need a starter and a backup. 

then take a look at the practice squad kid at some point.  See if you should even have them there.  See if he shows some potential. 

What's the point of starting Sam? There is no point.  At least if you look at the others....there is no more pretending/assuming if they should be back either.  It just gets it all answered. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

See I look at it this way, PJ might actually win us a game or two but Darnold is guaranteed to cost us every game in his own right the rest of the way. Having him at the helm gives us a better chance at a higher pick. I say stick with the turnover machine. 

I have no problem with that rational.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

you start evaluting who should even be on the roster and be taking up space.   PJ is our backup for the 2nd year and row.

Well, go find out if he actually should have the backup gig.  Get that answered for the world to see.  You started him once in place an injured QB and manged to win with him that time.  Pretend Sam is hurt from sucking so bad and see if you can manage to find a way to win an actual game with him.  Give him two starts.  If you can't? Well, don't keep bringing him back as backup anymore.  Now everyone knows you need a starter and a backup. 

then take a look at the practice squad kid at some point.  See if you should even have them there.  See if he shows some potential. 

What's the point of starting Sam? There is no point.  At least if you look at the others....there is no more pretending/assuming if they should be back either.  It just gets it all answered. 

I agree its time for re-evaluation of a lot of positions.  PJ is not even a good backup and everyone knows it but Rhule. 

It was always Sam's job and if he could not get it done there was no plan B. Rhule couldn't imagine being wrong about fixing Sam and was so sure that he didn't even try to have a backup plan.  We see how that worked out. 

I seriously doubt we can learn anything new about this cast of misfits that we haven't already seen.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree its time for re-evaluation of a lot of positions.  PJ is not even a good backup and everyone knows it but Rhule. 

It was always Sam's job and if he could not get it done there was no plan B. Rhule couldn't imagine being wrong about fixing Sam and was so sure that he didn't even try to have a backup plan.  We see how that worked out. 

I seriously doubt we can learn anything new about this cast of misfits that we haven't already seen.

There was no Plan B this season... I still think they knew this is still a rebuilding team in year 2 of the rebuild that Tepper sent the letter about... Once San Francisco made that trade and They lost out on Stafford and Watson this was the plan... I still think they will be a player for free agent QBS next offseason if this Darnold thing continues..

53 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

No he didn't why do these fools comment on poo they haven't watched.

I greatly apologize for triggering you by my comment. 

rhules comments ever since signing Darnold has heavily indicated that he wants to coddle him. By saying that he wants to run more is saying he wants more off Sam’s plate, indicating that he knows it won’t take much to cause Darnold to “regress.” This also indicates that he knows they messed up on the trade and is trying to salvage what he can knowing they gave up a 2nd rounder for Darnold. By coddling Darnold it “lessens” the blow of darnold making mistakes, thus, making it look like a good trade.