• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake on Sam

ladypanther

Most people here won't be able to understand what Jake is saying. 

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now. 

When you want to win so badly you try too hard and think too much. This greatly limits you.

I've experienced it personally. In HS I was so assignment focus thinking I'm letting guys down if I don't do my assignment. But by hyper focusing I played slow. It was a function of how the message was being relayed by the staff.

In college the staff freed us up to play naturally and to just make plays within the framework of the scheme. 

I experienced something similar later in life when I played golf on TV for the first time and in front of a gallery. I was completely in my head thinking you have to stripe this all these people are counting on it and I blew the shot.

It's just like Maverick said, If you think out there you're dead.

I think Sam is trying too hard plain and simple and the guys around him aren't helping much.

• Pie 7

Just now, Mage said:

How can Joe Brady help Darnold any more than he possibly has?

He gives him easy throws.  Darnold misses them.  Sure, we could commit harder to the run game, but Hubbard is the only back on the roster that we can really trust to be effective and teams aren't going to let him go wild against us.  He's played well but only averaging 3.7 YPC for a reason, 2.7 last week.  

The fact of the matter is we tried protecting him via McCaffrey.  It's why McCaffrey got so many touches.  Brady can't do much more than what he's been doing to help Darnold.  Darnold just lacks the IQ to get the basics down.

Chuba has been fine in the run game.  Sometimes teams decide to take that away by stacking the box and forcing you to throw.  Our line is DEFINITELY not good enough to run against a stacked box.  The Saints stacked the box, but Sam lit them up.  The Giants stacked the box, and . . . that happened.

Expect more of this now that word is out that Sam is struggling.  Run game and pass game work hand in hand.  If Sam is completing throws downfield, box loosens up and we have a chance to run it.

The whole offense is just in a really bad place.  This is what happened to Cam his last year.  Teams stacked up close to the LOS to stop the run and short pass because they knew Cam just couldn't beat them deep.  Teams know Sam is struggling, so they force him to beat them.

Some of this is on Sam.  Some of it is on our receivers.  Some is on our line.  Sam completed 64% of his passes against the Giants.  That's not terrible.  It would have been around 70% if our receivers didn't have a collective case of the yips.  Our line hasn't had a game allowing less than 3 sacks since WEEK TWO.  That's terrible.  Way too much pressure to put on a QB who you are trying to rehab from THIS EXACT PROBLEM.

13 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

The first few weeks it was the same thing. He'd lock on to one receiver, stare them down, and if they weren't open he'd dump it off to CMC. I'm not sure he even looks at any other receivers direction after snapping the ball.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry but this is true. That final play against the Eagles he took the snap blinked and threw a rocket into triple coverage and the game was over. That is Sam Darnold and it isn't going to change unfortunately.

• Beer 2

Sam does have the talent but he doesn't have it between the ears. When his presnap read is good and he can hit his first read he looks really good. But when he has to come off his first read and start processing on the fly it all falls apart for him. I don't think that can be fixed. You either have it or you don't. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I will ask again.  What is plan b?

Mine would've been Minshew, but at this point I think we gotta just eat it and tank. Try to run the ball and limit Sam's ability to hurt us. Mainly one read/half field read play action based pass plays. Which is what a lot of people are currently complaining about. The offense has looked elementary because it is. It has to be.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Mine would've been Minshew, but at this point I think we gotta just eat it and tank. Try to run the ball and limit Sam's ability to hurt us. Mainly one read/half field read play action based pass plays. Which is what a lot of people are currently complaining about. The offense has looked elementary because it is. It has to be.

Its sheer insanity that we didnt offer something like a 5th for GM instead of the bank for Darnold.  

But as far as plan b, IMO the only option is to pick a lineman in the 1rst, try to build the line other ways and then run it back with Sam next year.  Then assess the qb situation in the draft or free agency.  But you have to fix the line before you bring in someone else

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its sheer insanity that we didnt offer something like a 5th for GM instead of the bank for Darnold.  

But as far as plan b, IMO the only option is to pick a lineman in the 1rst, try to build the line other ways and then run it back with Sam next year.  Then assess the qb situation in the draft or free agency.  But you have to fix the line before you bring in someone else

That's giving up on next year. Sam ain't it. And yes, I said from the get go that going all in on Darnold was idiotic. Wanna trade for him and see if you can fix him? Okay (well, not okay since is said this was gonna be a disaster from the get go but whatever). But you HAVE to have a sold fallback plan. PJ Walker is NOT that. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's giving up on next year. Sam ain't it. And yes, I said from the get go that going all in on Darnold was idiotic. Wanna trade for him and see if you can fix him? Okay. But you HAVE to have a sold fallback plan. PJ Walker is NOT that. 

I wanted to believe.......but my head deep down told me it wasnt going to work.  Fitt, for all the praise he is getting on here was essentially bidding against himself for darnold.  Not sure why we didnt simply wait and let things play out closer to the draft.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I wanted to believe.......but my head deep down told me it wasnt going to work.  Fitt, for all the praise he is getting on here was essentially bidding against himself for darnold.  Not sure why we didnt simply wait and let things play out closer to the draft.

Yep. People got mad at me for pointing this out. If we hadn't panicked and stayed patient we would've ended up getting Darnold for significantly less because no one else wanted him. Considering that, the Jets absolutely robbed us blind in that trade. Darnold's true market value was probably a mid-round pick. We should've gotten him for a 4th rounder, maybe an extra late rounder thrown in to sweeten the pot.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's giving up on next year. Sam ain't it. And yes, I said from the get go that going all in on Darnold was idiotic. Wanna trade for him and see if you can fix him? Okay (well, not okay since is said this was gonna be a disaster from the get go but whatever). But you HAVE to have a sold fallback plan. PJ Walker is NOT that. 

Yeah I told people PJ isn’t an nfl qb but everyone said oh no give him a chance lol.

• Pie 1