• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fiterer - mid season grade

mrcompletely11

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

"Bid against ourselves and paid a kings ransom for Sam Darnold"

Dude a 2nd round pick is not a kings ransom.  So no.

I know Darnold isn't panning out but taking a gamble for only a 2nd instead of a 1st or mor, is fine. He took the gamble and it was going to go two ways man. It works or it doesn't. Unfortunately for us it did not work out. 

Everything else is on point at least. Fitterer is doing a wonderful job, getting Rhule players he wants, this is more on Rhule than Fitt. 

Na that is a cop out. If the GM is just a yes man to the head coach then they both have to go. If that is how it was designed then we are truly fuged.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

I'll give you QB, but how could the OL be better if there were no better options in FA?

Instead of going after two of the worst options available, in both level of play and injury history, could have easily used that 14.5M guaranteed for Kevin Zeitler and/or Matt Feiler. Both signed for about 7.5M a year. Average was their floor. Instead that went to two players who have maybe one season between them that would be considered close to average. When they were actually healthy. Add that the planned starter at LG(Miller) was a FA and couldn’t get any offer above vet minimum after starting all last year. And still no team thought he was worth anything as a 27 year old starter for multiple seasons. The excuse that there were no options is just plain false. 

The problem is Rhule the GM has made it very difficult on Rhule the HC. From day one. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Used a top 10 pick on a DB with no QB and only having 1 offensive lineman. 

got fleeced by the Jets.  Made him the man with no comp and pointlessly picked up his 5th year option 

Too big of deal for a one year wonder Robbie….and we just drafted 2 WRs. 

D+ 

nothing else he has done can outweigh that enough to get to a C

1 hour ago, Icege said:

Way too early to be giving a GM a grade only 9 games into their first season at the position, especially when having to clean up the mess left by Hurney.

I could agree if the new decision makers weren't currently creating their own mess. Dave Gettleman had the same built in excuses and made the same blunders that further dug us into a hole. It is perfectly reasonable to ask questions and look at all this with the necessary perspective of our past bc the Panthers have a distinct knack for repeating mistakes and so far it isn't looking good on multiple fronts.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Don't forget Fox and AJ Bouye who have played well.

Tremble and Nixon look like good pickups.

The BC and Brown draft picks make his OL efforts look even worse.

And taking the long snapper instead of Trey Smith. It was our 9th pick you're allowed to gamble with a high risk high reward player there. Get the snapper in FA

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I know we've heard that Tepper wanted Fields, but where did we hear that Fitt did?

This is the first one that came up in a Google search. I am sure that there are others, but it does provide some quotes where Snow saw Sam and told Matt to check him out.

https://biblesport.com/mlb/matt-rhule-on-why-panthers-didnt-pick-qb-in-draft-i-just-believe-in-sam-darnold/

I - Incomplete

There are way too many unknowns to evaluate him at this point.

Robby went from a 1,000 yard receiver to a non-factor. Is that because he sucks and locking him up was a bad deal? Or is Sam the problem? We don't know.

Sam, is he as bad as he looks because he's bad or is he bad because he's being David Carr'd behind this garbage line? We don't know. (Before you say it, no, we really don't)

The O-Line, Does the line suck? Oh yeah, it sucks. It could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Jaycee, could we have drafted a O-Lineman instead of Jaycee? Yeah. But one rookie does not an offensive line make.

It all comes back to the line, and fixing the line wasn't a 1-year job.

The defense is a revelation. And I'd like to see what the man responsible for it can do with an off-season dedicated to fixing the offense.

7 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I said the other day his grade should be a solid C, but after sleeping on it this dude has failed in just about every aspect of his job..

Cons:

Bid against ourselves and paid a kings ransom for Sam Darnold

Thats subjecture.. and most likely inaccurate.

Firstly, 1st round QBs always get traded for something no matter how bad they are (see Josh Rosen). Plus I think we need to give Fit the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to negotiate and this is was the price driven by the market. 

I can see how people are mad and want to fire everyone, but I think that Fit is a good piece to this puzzle. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Thats subjecture.. and most likely inaccurate.

Firstly, 1st round QBs always get traded for something no matter how bad they are (see Josh Rosen). Plus I think we need to give Fit the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to negotiate and this is was the price driven by the market. 

I can see how people are mad and want to fire everyone, but I think that Fit is a good piece to this puzzle. 

Why are we in a position where we have no viable back up QB for our mediocre if not garbage starter QB? Who is to blame and should they be held accountable?

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

Why are we in a position where we have no viable back up QB for our mediocre if not garbage starter QB? Who is to blame and should they be held accountable?

Im actually 100% ok with not having a vet back up. We were always going to ride or die with Sam. Sam was either going to win his way out of getting replaced or lose his way to it. I dont think signing an 'elite back up' is a good part of the rebuilding process. 

Win with Sam or lose with Sam. We lost. Now put him on ice for the year. Build an oline next year and the year after bring in a QB. Rebuild complete. Just like the plan has always been. 

58 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

This is the first one that came up in a Google search. I am sure that there are others, but it does provide some quotes where Snow saw Sam and told Matt to check him out.

https://biblesport.com/mlb/matt-rhule-on-why-panthers-didnt-pick-qb-in-draft-i-just-believe-in-sam-darnold/

Boy that has some cringey comments in hindsight.