• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's contract won't save him

Zod

In my mind, if you're intent on building a team for the long haul, you don't risk precious draft capitol on longshots within the first year or two.  Once the foundation is in place, perhaps, but not before.

If the QB you want isn't available immediately, find a placeholder that keeps the team competitive till your guy (or someone similar) comes along.

Same goes for picking inexperienced coaching staff.

Why???  

Rhule reminds me of a gambler on a losing streak.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

3 hours ago, joemac said:

Its painfully obvious to anybody even paying attention a little bit that this team is going NOWHERE until we get a bonafide franchise QB.  Whatever route they take to do that, they need to hurry the fug up.  We're going to end up wasting the primes of all of our standout players because the braintrust of this team cannot figure out how to get a decent QB.  I dont care how they do it, either draft a guy, make a trade, or if one comes on the open market, sign them.  But, we're going to be in purgatory until this happens.  It doesn't matter what the rest of the team looks like.  They tried to game the system by getting Sam, and that was an epic fail.  They got too cute, too much hubris, and it jumped up and bit them right in their asses.  Now, we as fans, are all paying for it, and will continue to pay for it until they figure it out.

Clocks ticking, assholes. 

Yet, it always seems like we get HCs that prioritize Defense. Best thing Rivera did was to agree with drafting Cam

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

In my mind, if you're intent on building a team for the long haul, you don't risk precious draft capitol on longshots within the first year or two.  Once the foundation is in place, perhaps, but not before.

If the QB you want isn't available immediately, find a placeholder that keeps the team competitive till your guy (or someone similar) comes along.

Why???  

Tepper should of refused, like the Jets, for allowing Rhule to pick 100% of his staff. If that made it that Rhule didn’t want to come so be it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Why???  

Total gambling problem. We're paying Teddy $17m to play for another team this season. Keeping him and drafting a QB to develop maybe wasn't as exciting as rolling the dice on Sam and taking the credit if he panned out

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Tepper hasn't had a winning season in now 4yrs of ownership.

He hasn't gained patience since being here and wasn't patient to begin with. 

When Zod said he's heard whispering of fury building up, I believe it.

Not for long.

If this is true it’s kind of a waste doing contracts like Rhule or 5th options like Darnold and TBs contract. I get some things he doesn’t want to control but if you’re a wait and see kind of guy or no patience kind of guy, these moves make no sense. They require and basically spell out patience.

But maybe he’s just disgruntled behind the scenes letting the people he hire work.

Edited by onmyown

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Total gambling problem. We're paying Teddy $17m to play for another team this season. Keeping him and drafting a QB to develop maybe wasn't as exciting as rolling the dice on Sam and taking the credit if he panned out

Rhule is acting like he is the smartest person in the room and gambling with house money.

Tepper is being played for a fool.

• Beer 2

16 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Finding and hiring a football coach is an imperfect science. Building the perfect NFL coach isn’t any easier. All you have to do is look at the hiring and firing numbers in the NFL over the last five years to realize that.

Since the end of the 2016 season, the league’s 32 teams have hired 33 head coaches. Nine teams are on their second swing at the coaching piñata during that period.

Every owner and general manager has an idea of what they want in a head coach and how to find the best man for the job. They spend weeks researching and interviewing prospective candidates. They talk to dozens of people who have employed them, worked with them, coached against them.

And yet, 33 coaching hires in five years.

I can’t find it but somewhere I read that most new owners miss on their first coaching hire. So Rhules failure isn’t unpredictable. 
Read it sometime around when Rhule was hired. 

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, joemac said:

Its painfully obvious to anybody even paying attention a little bit that this team is going NOWHERE until we get a bonafide franchise QB.  Whatever route they take to do that, they need to hurry the fug up.  We're going to end up wasting the primes of all of our standout players because the braintrust of this team cannot figure out how to get a decent QB.  I dont care how they do it, either draft a guy, make a trade, or if one comes on the open market, sign them.  But, we're going to be in purgatory until this happens.  It doesn't matter what the rest of the team looks like.  They tried to game the system by getting Sam, and that was an epic fail.  They got too cute, too much hubris, and it jumped up and bit them right in their asses.  Now, we as fans, are all paying for it, and will continue to pay for it until they figure it out.

Clocks ticking, assholes. 

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 3

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

of qualifying HCs that went from college to pros since 2000....majority were gone after 2 seasons. 

Chip Kelly and Harbaugh went to the playoffs in year 1.   

Yes but how many were given a contract like Rhule? Perhaps it doesn’t matter, notice I said a third year AT MOST. I am not disregarding get may be gone after 2, just simply pointing to more recent college to NFL coaches.

I also think Kelly and Harbaugh came into much better situations, albeit some of that they created themselves. Their situation/franchise was coaching issues, ours was literally everything under the sun cap, talent, culture etc.