• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Schefter: Panthers operating as if Darnold will miss the season

ImaginaryKev

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

When Marty Hurney is better than you at evalution.....oof.

Marty was really good in the first. Just sucked at everything else. The fact rhule wanted to trade down for cj is really alarming tbh. 

14 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I mean I understand a new coaching staff and front office starting fresh. But if they were gonna cut Cam they shouldn't have paid Teddy. Let Will Grier play so you can tank and draft a QB in the top 5 (they could've positioned themselves for T Law, Fields, or Wilson by letting Grier play pretend Gardner Minshew for a year).

Or let Cam play on a reasonable deal in your "heavily schemed offense" that you think will make any ole QB look good. 

Just so frustrating the way they handled QB and OL as opposed to the defense which everyone loves. 

I’ll never understand it because of what they’ve done the past two years. It makes me nervous about how they view qbs and how they evaluate just based on price and draft capital given up. They went after Stafford which is good but damn. I would’ve been cool with taking a flyer on Darnold but for a 2nd 4th 6th and 18 million 5th year option pick up? And no vet backup? Wtf are we doing? Teddy and 60 million? Wtf. These moves are compounded by price and draft capital. 

I get this team needed major rebuilding pieces as the team was old and expensive. I get defensive heavy drafts, I get what they’re trying to do but some of these moves have been insanely dumb to even casual football fans. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Where did you read that? 

I can’t remember specific ones during that time. There were several articles written that Marty was in love with Herbert. Stuff like this during covid

there were several other articles with people saying rhule wanted to trade down and was in love with Henderson.  Maybe Henderson wasn’t gonna be there but he realllllly liked him. Which is obvious because we just traded a 3rd for him.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm honestly not sure if Sam Darnold ever makes another NFL active roster.

If I was in his shoes, I would retire. A millionaire while in your twenties and his whole life in front of him. Nothing to be ashamed off. He had an opportunity to play in the NFL and now it is time to move on.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, jbland said:

I had such high hopes after the first few games. Unfortunately, the law of averages will prevail. He is what he is. 

Darnold very much had a path similar to most backups, unfortunately. 
Backups are good, usually, for a max of about 3-5 games and then they fall off. 
I am fine keeping him as a backup to whoever plays QB next year, whether that is Cam or someone else. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I mean Cam was only gonna cost them 20 mil that year they cut him for Teddy. They should've just kept him and looked for an option in the draft. Fields should he the QB of the future here but luckily good QBs are flooding the league now.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do at the position this off-season bc they could take a guy now or let Cam ride next year and draft a QB then. Maybe that Alabama QB will be eligible by then, who knows. 

Sad thing is Cam said that he would have played that year on the 20 million. He wasn’t asking for an extension. 

1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I mean I understand a new coaching staff and front office starting fresh. But if they were gonna cut Cam they shouldn't have paid Teddy. Let Will Grier play so you can tank and draft a QB in the top 5 (they could've positioned themselves for T Law, Fields, or Wilson by letting Grier play pretend Gardner Minshew for a year).

Or let Cam play on a reasonable deal in your "heavily schemed offense" that you think will make any ole QB look good. 

Just so frustrating the way they handled QB and OL as opposed to the defense which everyone loves. 

....it seems like they have no forethought or reasoning ability of future outcomes...just sling it and let the cards fall where they may.... to a degree im not worried about the money but at some point it will affect the dead money and our ability to pay players we want. I'm more pissed about losing picks...thats the motor that drives the rebuild.

• Pie 1

Couple things here. 

1) No way we trade Sam ala Osweiler. At the time, Osweiler was 1 year into a 4 year 72million contract. They were on the hook for 3 more year with what what a fairly lower cap at the time.

We have 1 year left at 17 million for Sam. There is zero chance we sink any further resources into that rapidly sinking ship by giving another team a 2nd or 3rd to take the contact. It's far more likely we either a) cut him June 1 designation and spread the hit over 2 years or b) we roll into 2022 with a very expensive but capable back up.

2) We keep seeing lots of hindsight in regards to keeping Cam in the first place and even in this thread "It only would have cost 20 million to let him play it out." 

I remember at the time I believe it was Zod (not 100% sure big guy dont quote me lol) or one of the other locally connected guys or gald that said Cam did not want to play out on a 1 year deal. That he wanted a long term contract and commitment from the team before the season started. 

Based on what we saw his last 2 years with us and the shoulder and foot that was also the absolutely right call. Signing Cam to a 4 year 100 million deal and trotting him out behind the lines we've had the last two years would have gotten him killed. 

I hope Cam comes back and it's Ace Boogie time the rest of this year. I hope Cam gets a long term extension after the season and his shoulder can hold up to an 18 game season and leads us to a SB again where this time we get the Peyton Manning treatment and Cam could ride off into the sunset with an ending he deserves. 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, Jmac said:

If I was in his shoes, I would retire. A millionaire while in your twenties and his whole life in front of him. Nothing to be ashamed off. He had an opportunity to play in the NFL and now it is time to move on.

Agreed.  

I mean...he's got 18 million (a bit less after Taxes but still a hell of a lot) coming his way next year so if I were him, I'd start making plans for a post-career life.