• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Schefter: Panthers operating as if Darnold will miss the season

ImaginaryKev

33 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You're right, no one will trade for him.  But the second part doesn't make a lick of sense.  There is no cap relief whatsoever from cutting him.

This isn't like other situations where a guy has a huge cap hit and it's only partially guaranteed.  Sam Darnold being cut is just 18 million in dead cap, next year only.  Whether he is on the roster or not, we're stuck with it.

Let him sit on the bench.

I know I just don’t even want him on the bench. Brings nothing to the backup role besides just being a good teammate. Rather have a backup that can be competent in the system. Cant stress enough how bad this dude is at football.

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

If I were him I'd do whatever it took to stay in the NFL then go to Canada if I can't find a team and try and pull a Flutie or Warren Moon.

But what can he do?

He's not even good enough to be a backup in the league.

Even Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez had a better career.

Edited by glenwo2

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think it depends on how they view certain QB’s in the upcoming draft.

Either it doesn’t work out and they have their choice of Corral, Willis, Howell, or Pickett.

Or it does work out and they are probably only looking at a choice between Howell or Pickett.

Additionally, if it does work out then Cam is probably getting a two or three year extension.

How they view the upcoming QBs may be more of a worry than anyone knows. Their previous choices haven't been good. And Tepper may force them to take a guy even if Rhule and Co aren't sold on him just to have a rookie QB on the roster regardless of Cam's status with the team. The longer Rhule and Co are in charge the worse I feel that Tepper made a huge mistake that will set the team back that much further. And Honestly, I don't feel good about Tepper as an owner either. But we're stuck with him unless the NFL forces a sale.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

How they view the upcoming QBs may be more of a worry than anyone knows. Their previous choices haven't been good. And Tepper may force them to take a guy even if Rhule and Co aren't sold on him just to have a rookie QB on the roster regardless of Cam's status with the team. The longer Rhule and Co are in charge the worse I feel that Tepper made a huge mistake that will set the team back that much further. And Honestly, I don't feel good about Tepper as an owner either. But we're stuck with him unless the NFL forces a sale.

Tepper may have to Jerry-Jones things unfortunately. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

You may see a Chip Kelly scenario happen because of this. Tepper may ask Rhule to step back as far as FO decisions and leave everything to Fitt. 

That's not necessarily a good choice either. Yeah Fitt loves to make trades and it can be exciting, but that isn't always a good thing either.

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Amen 

Rhule’s moves at qb in free agency and skipping on QBs and  LTs in the drafts is to me egregious and shows zero understanding of the NFL and  set this team back years 

with all the rule  changes in the past 10 years, it’s a QB driven league in the NFL where the best of the best play 

this isn’t Baylor or temple where a coach can pick up some scruff and  ‘coach em up’ at QB.  

if I’m Tepper, either Rhule is gone or some credible nfl talent evaluator is brought in as a consultant to ‘help’ him  

cam Newton has come to try and save yet another coach’s ass and that’s a fact  can he do it…,remains to be seen 

Or let Fitterer make the personnel decisions including the draft.