• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ is still undefeated

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Absolutely great team win, and PJ had a part in that and the entire team looks different with Cam back.  Everyone knows this is Cam's team, and PJ doesn't seem to mind that one bit.

PJ was way more accurate than in past games, so maybe 2 weeks with the ones helped.  But he still took unnecessary risks and missed the mark in really weird ways... To be briefly critical... 2 turnovers is unacceptable for a backup frankly (let alone a starter - I'm looking at you, Darnold) and while he kept the offense moving, we need to get Cam up to speed as soon as possible IMO because in tougher games 2 turnovers could be costly.  Still, for only his second start, not bad and if we need him to start in the future, hopefully a bit more time with the 1s irons out more issues.  It was clear that when we were put in long downs he struggled.

1st start - 70% completed 

2nd start - 75% completed 

too much is made of his garbage time stats IMO.   If you prep him for a start, he does pretty well for what he is. 

Garbage time brings out his biggest flaw.   He is overly aggressive and wants to make a play every down.   So if you put him out there to pass every down.  He tries to make a play every down.   He needs to learn to play for another down when the play isn’t really there.   But he has only 2 starts in the NFL.  I think he has legit backup potential.   We are 2-0 with him.  That’s the job. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

1st start - 70% completed 

2nd start - 75% completed 

too much is made of his garbage time stats IMO.   If you prep him for a start, he does pretty well for what he is. 

Garbage time brings out his biggest flaw.   He is overly aggressive and wants to make a play every down.   So if you put him out there to pass every down.  He tries to make a play every down.   He needs to learn to play for another down when the play isn’t really there.   But he has only 2 starts in the NFL.  I think he has legit backup potential.   We are 2-0 with him.  That’s the job. 

against Detroit he threw an interception when it was 7-0... that's not garbage time...

but hopefully you're right, since I suspect he'll be around for a bit longer lol

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

against Detroit he threw an interception when it was 7-0... that's not garbage time...

but hopefully you're right, since I suspect he'll be around for a bit longer lol

I mean, his flaw simply exists.  Saw it vs Det and today.   Saw it that goal line play earlier this year. 

he has to learn live to play for another down when it isn’t there.  Right now, if he is tasked a pass….he is going to try to make the play.   No matter what.  But he is young.  

I think he has a nice skill set though.  Plenty of room to grow IMO.  He could end up being a our backup.  I always thought people have been overly hard on him because of our starters. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

If Cams arm is healthy then this isn’t going to be PJs job for long. PJ has some serious limitations with accuracy getting the ball downfield. That was super conservative playcalling. Not saying that’ll change a whole lot with Cam. But the threat of the run and potential deep balls over the middle will at least be there. 

9 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, his flaw simply exists.  Saw it vs Det and today.   Saw it that goal line play earlier this year. 

he has to learn live to play for another down when it isn’t there.  Right now, if he is tasked a pass….he is going to try to make the play.   No matter what.  But he is young.  

I think he has a nice skill set though.  Plenty of room to grow IMO.  He could end up being a our backup.  I always thought people have been overly hard on him because of our starters. 

Well, if he had no flaws, he wouldn't be a back up.  

But yeah, he definitely has a good shot at being a career backup for us.  

I'm really happy for PJ. The guy came out and made the most of his opportunities. But you hold your breath every time the ball goes down field with him. He threw one pick, really should have had a second but the defender bobbled the ball. 

The offense we ran with PJ against the Cardinals was eerily similar to the one we ran the first three weeks with Sam Darnold. 10 of PJ's 22 completions were dump offs to CMC. CMC had 23 touches (and he would have had more had the game been closer) That game plan got us to 3-0, including a win over the Saints. It also got CMC to IR. 

In many ways, I see a lot of similarities between this Arizona game and the Saints game earlier. We beat a good, but depleted team with an offensive game plan that isn't sustainable. If PJ is asked to start for too long, my concern is we'll start seeing multiple turnover games from him. But that's true for a lot of backup level QBs in the NFL.

Edited by trueblade

The biggest question to me is do any of you think that maybe PJ showed enough yesterday to potentially be considered a good backup moving forward for years to come? He didn't look awful and looks like a capable leader behind a starter to me. He also seemed like a good teammate celebrating with Cam and just looking happy out there. He seems to have a positive vibe and now looks like he could have the skills to be a solid backup.

PJ wasn't without flaws yesterday but he stood tall in the pocket and made some really good throws. Even with the few gaffes that's the best we've seen in weeks from a Panthers qb. The guy doesn't deserve the hate he has received here especially when you consider who he took the reins from.