• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College quarterbacks today

Stuart Smith

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I'd take......

1. Kenny Pickett

2. Carson Strong

3. Matt Corrall

4. Sam Howell

5. Malik Willis

6. Resmond Ridder

I haven't seen the WKU kid, so maybe he factors in.

Pickett is a bottom half of the first, top of the 2nd guy, IMO. 

What a year we picked to not have QB figured out AND not have any Day 2 picks.

Edit: Most of my list is actually interchangeable based on what a team wants. Any of those guys could be shuffled around, IMO. Not a big gap between them.

How many years has Pickett been good compare to how many years he's played??

21 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That didn't age well.

Also, FWIW, Sam Hartman's ceiling is probably a Day 3 pick. That was before his performance against Pitt.

No, it didn’t age well. As soon as I typed it Hartman threw an interception and it went downhill. I am not as impressed by Picket as some either, maybe it’s just me.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Howell has the tools to be great too. You are correct though, we need a QB first IMO. It’s how the Cards did it with Murray, Bengals with Burrow, and Chargers with Herbert. Ignoring the QB position again and building a solid team with a random vet throwing the ball will keep us out of range from getting a top one the following year unless we give up a lot of assets like the Niners did… You pretty much have to draft your signal caller in this league.

Yeah, Howell is in there too with Ridder & Willis.  Just less sold on them but any of them could end up being the best in class.  Most sold on Corral and Strong but could change.  Have held firm on liking Strong & Ridder throughout the season.  Ridder has shown improved accuracy which is huge but will need patience.  Strong is ready for the NFL.

Gotta capitalize if you can get a top drafted QB. Too many examples of supposed good classes being awful and vice versa. If you can take a top signal caller you do it at the expense of the need for OL.  OL needs to be coveted along with DL but when the iron is hot for a QB, you take the gamble or else we miss out on a Herbert, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, etc.  All top young QBs post-pick 6. 

I'd like to hit at least once outside of an obvious #1 for Cam in our 25+ year existence (and signing a 28 year old unproven Delhomme).  I mean, at least find a capable starter Cutler/Derek Carr/Tannehill type level.  I see that in Strong as his floor. At the least a Beurline that can win.

7 hours ago, WOW!! said:

How many years has Pickett been good compare to how many years he's played??

Trubisky was a one year wonder, Burrow was a one year wonder, etc. Technically Cam was a one year wonder.

Pickett is the best the bunch to me. I still say he's probably a borderline 1st rounder. Just not a good class at all.

5 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

No, it didn’t age well. As soon as I typed it Hartman threw an interception and it went downhill. I am not as impressed by Picket as some either, maybe it’s just me.

Hartman and Pickett are both very good college QB's. In fact, the ACC was loaded with very good college QB's. 

Unfortunately not many of them are looking like very good NFL prospects. Maybe the Miami kid might be eventually.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Trubisky was a one year wonder, Burrow was a one year wonder, etc. Technically Cam was a one year wonder.

Pickett is the best the bunch to me. I still say he's probably a borderline 1st rounder. Just not a good class at all.

There is no way to know if it really is a good class until after they are drafted and playing on Sundays.  The past year was supposed to be a great class, but to this point, Jones is the only one that looks great.  That could change of course.  But I wouldn't write this coming season's class off just yet.  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

There is no way to know if it really is a good class until after they are drafted and playing on Sundays.  The past year was supposed to be a great class, but to this point, Jones is the only one that looks great.  That could change of course.  But I wouldn't write this coming season's class off just yet.  

Dude all of the top picks this year have shown amazing promise.  Not sure what you are watching 

24 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dude all of the top picks this year have shown amazing promise.  Not sure what you are watching 

The actual games.

Jacksonville has the worst passing attack in the NFL, well maybe other than us.  Early in the season, he was an interception machine, and then the Jaguars staff started restricting his passing, throwing it shorter and less frequent.  So the interception numbers have improved.  But the passing attack is still not good.   Not all of it is on Lawrence of course,  neither the system nor the talent around him helps him very much.  But he certainly hasn't shown himself to be the sure fire hall of famer that some have him as, at least not yet.

The Jets best game from a qb this year was Mike White's game.  Zach Wilson finally had a decent game against the Eagles this past week though, although they still lost. 

Trey Lance hasn't played enough to show anything.  

Justin Fields has looked good at times, but the more they let him throw, the worse he looks.  

Only Jones has shown himself to be a solid performer so far.  

Of course, they are all rookies, and it could change.  But this is why you can't judge them until they actually play.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Well all classes are ultimately judged by hindsight. 

We are all also operating(or should be) under the assumption that the discussion of this class is a projection based on our own or others evaluations of it. It's a prediction, like all projections are. 

I am not writing them off but stating that I don't see many high caliber NFL prospects. With that being the case, I don't think I would take any of these guys before the bottom third of the 1st round and ideally 2nd round or lower. 

That's why I keep repeatedly saying I wouldn't touch one of these guys with our first round pick. It's a big reach, IMO. We are likely to be picking in range of the 1st that you just cannot afford to gamble or miss.