• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper's Next HC: Get a Search Committee

saX man

7 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

When you mentioned one guy, for some reason I thought you meant one guy.

sorry...wasn't suggesting him or the one man search team. it just made me think about him. hadn't thought about him in a long time.

hire a guy from a team and expect him to not suggest someone he's worked with recently? 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hurney handled money, but Rhule was completely Tepper's decision. Thus why this post exists, b/c he fuged up the first time.

It's been noted that Hurney hired him before Tepper even knew what was going on. A real GM would have seen through Rhules BS. Hurney not so much. 

Do search committees really do any better job at finding coaches?

It's easy to second guess the process once you know the results.

Would a search committee have hired Jimmy Johnson for the Cowboys?  Mike Tomlin for Pittsburg? 

I'm not saying Rhule is the answer, or that Tepper needs to make the decision all on his own, but when it comes to finding a coach or even a QB, more times than not you are wrong.  I'm more interested in how you handle it once you realize it isn't working.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Do search committees really do any better job at finding coaches?

It's easy to second guess the process once you know the results.

Would a search committee have hired Jimmy Johnson for the Cowboys?  Mike Tomlin for Pittsburg? 

I'm not saying Rhule is the answer, or that Tepper needs to make the decision all on his own, but when it comes to finding a coach or even a QB, more times than not you are wrong.  I'm more interested in how you handle it once you realize it isn't working.

The Steelers had Kevin Colbert running their search. We had David Tepper. And the results break down accordingly.

I don't necessarily care if there's a search committee choosing the next head coach or not. It just needs to not be Tepper.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Steelers had Kevin Colbert running their search. We had David Tepper. And the results break down accordingly.

I don't necessarily care if there's a search committee choosing the next head coach or not. It just needs to not be Tepper.

Single selections are a bit of a small sample size. 

Here again, I'm not saying Tepper needs to make the decision, I'm just saying people are drawing some absolute statements from a singular decision that are never really absolute.

on a side note, did Colbert make the final call on Tomlin?  or Rooney?

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Single selections are a bit of a small sample size. 

Here again, I'm not saying Tepper needs to make the decision, I'm just saying people are drawing some absolute statements from a singular decision that are never really absolute.

on a side note, did Colbert make the final call on Tomlin?  or Rooney?

Some would say the NFL.

The decision was up to Colbert. It came down to Tomlin and then Steelers assistant Russ Grimm. Conspiracy theorists say the NFL pushed for Tomlin "in the spirit of the Rooney Rule".

No idea whether there's any validity to that, but the decision worked out regardless, so...

• The D 1