• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Rhule ever answer post game?

CRA

19 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

This is heavily supported by analytics. You have to make a 2-pt conversion at some point. When you try it shouldn't drastically change it's chance of success.

You are trying the 2-pt before the 1-pt to get your mandatory but uncertain plays out of the way early, so you have the maximum amount to time to adjust if it fails.

The Panthers under Rhule have actually been pretty good regarding decision making on 4th down and 2pt tries.

Analytics call it a push I believe down 9. 

that’s when being a good football coach comes in.   Specifically who your team is.  And we have very horrible offense.  

so you kick the XP.   One score game.   Cam was coming in cold after basically being benched.   Fail and you would then be asking a very bad offense to orchestrate two more drives.   

and given the poo play calls they had late….they weren’t going to pull off two drives.  Same poo calls we saw under Joe Brady.  And Rhule was up there praising his new playcaller.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

You kick the XP.  You make it a 1 score game.  That’s basic game management.

You fail to covert and you give yourself no shot as it remains a 2 score game.  you prevent your team from having a shot to win. 

The false start forced Rhule into the correct call.  

It’s typical Matt Rhule.   And it’s why he is pointless.   Just like a new OC was pointless if Rhule is here.   Same horrible situational stuff was called late in the game. 

Thats literally zero logic lmaooo

you have to get the 2 point regardless whether its after the first TD or the second TD If you wait till the second TD and dont get the 2 the games over if you try after the first and dont get it at least then you can onside or try to get a stop depending on how much time is left. Anyone with any sort of football knowledge will tell you the same thing 

Edited by KillaCamNewton
  • Pie 1

Old post, but this explains it: http://www.footballperspective.com/trailing-by-15-in-the-middle-of-the-4th-quarter-teams-are-foolish-to-not-go-for-2-after-touchdowns/

The counterargument goes something along the lines of “just take the points, that way it is a one-score game.” Essentially, people are afraid of missing the two-point attempt and trailing by 9 points. But it’s not a one-score game. Trailing by 8 isn’t a one-score game if you are going to fail on your two-point try. And there’s no reason to think your odds of converting a 2-point attempt are higher when trailing by 2 than by 9. Trailing by 8 is a 1.5-possiession game; half the time it is a 1-possession game, and half the time it is a 2-possesion game. To simply put your head in the sand and say “I don’t wanna know!!” may keep hope alive longer but it lowers your odds of winning.”

Short answer, going for 2 down 15 in the 4th is absolutely the correct call. 

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 3

14 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Thats literally zero logic lmaooo

you have to get the 2 point regardless. If you wait till the end of the game and dont get the 2 the games over if you try first and dont get it at least then you can onside. Anyone with any sort of football knowledge will tell you the same thing 

it was literally discussed live on air during the game. 

nothing about this current Panther squad and our O…..suggests going for 2 then is the smart call. 

Pure analytics isn’t football.  We also talked earlier this week about how we were overcommitted to it and it likely impacting play calling effectiveness.  

• Pie 1

In game the call didn't make sense. IF you go for two and fail, you are down two scores and two possessions with the clock running out. Onside kick recoveries are miracle plays. If you kick the XP you are down 1 once score and one possession.  Plus you give your defense hope to keep playing hard.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 2

15 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Old post, but this explains it: http://www.footballperspective.com/trailing-by-15-in-the-middle-of-the-4th-quarter-teams-are-foolish-to-not-go-for-2-after-touchdowns/

Short answer, going for 2 down 15 in the 4th is absolutely the correct call. 

That’s a blog post by an unknown guy that essentially claims Steve Spurrier is the only guy who gets it. 

analytics call it a push.  They don’t call for 2 there for everyone.  But who you are as football team and your game then has to factor.  Our O sucks.  We are defensive dependent on them to make plays.  

In my mind it didn't matter when we went for the 2 since we needed it either way. I'm even fine that Cam was brought back in for it since he generally is our best bet in those situations and at that spot of the field. What annoys me is yet again a penalty fugs us over. We commit way too many penalties and that is even after bringing refs into practice to try and work on that problem.

2 minutes ago, ichigo1057 said:

In my mind it didn't matter when we went for the 2 since we needed it either way. I'm even fine that Cam was brought back in for it since he generally is our best bet in those situations and at that spot of the field. What annoys me is yet again a penalty fugs us over. We commit way too many penalties and that is even after bringing refs into practice to try and work on that problem.

DBO.  Lost in all the 2pt talk is all the other Matt Rhule stamp of horrible football that was all over that game. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ichigo1057 said:

I might could of accepted it if there was more time.  We scored that TD with 3 minutes left in the game.   We just don’t have the O for that. 

2 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Notre Dame and Oklahoma probably didn’t want to call him after watching the garbage he is responsible for this season.

Ruhle has been such a disappointment as a pro coach that he has damaged his resume and future prospects. Will have to take a poo college job again and start over. 

Rhule should coach at ECU