• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Ownership Learning Curve

Panthercougar68

There is a sentiment on this site and in this fanbase right now that Dave Tepper is the issue with the team and that we are doomed to eternity. This is a thread about how rough starts tend to be the norm for new ownerships in the NFL. We are in an era where teams are being sold to new owners. We have seen the Browns, Bills, Panthers, and soon the Broncos change hands. The three recent changes had owners hire their first coach and two of them have fired said coach.

(Disclaimer Im on the fire Rhule train)

Terry Pegula was ridiculed for how he handled the Bills initially and lauded over the Sabres but that has changed as he has gain experience in this league. Here is an article that if you change Pegula to Tepper it seems like Carolina 2.0

https://torontosun.com/2017/01/05/terry-pegula-a-case-study-in-billionaire-sports-team-owners-gone-wrong

Pegula learned from mistakes and has a solid foundation in place.

Hell Jimmy Haslam is starting to right some of his earlier issues

"But Dave came from Pittsburgh there should be no learning curve"

Pittsburgh has the main thing that every stable franchise has, a good coach and a franchise QB which Tepper has said many times that he wants (and knows) that he needs to win game. 

Tepper bought the team and looked to shake up the business side and waited to see what Ron had..which wasn't much left in the tank. He made his first hire and it isn't looking good BUT THATS THE PATTERN. Florio called it in 2020 and said that the pattern is that the first coach hired tends to be fired. We don't know if Dave will fire or keep Matt into 2022 it's all speculation. 

tldr

Dave is letting the football people make the choices and so far those choices are good they are Matt's not Dave's. If Dave were Jerry Jones, Fields would be getting killed behind this line.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Nothing I’ve seen has given me any reason to believe it will improve.

I don’t need to like tepper.  I don’t have to like him.  Here’s the kicker, he doesn’t have to be good.  He can suck.  To date, that’s what it looks, smells, and tastes like.

Making money and running a franchise are not the same thing.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Nothing I’ve seen has given me any reason to believe it will improve.

I don’t need to like tepper.  I don’t have to like him.  Here’s the kicker, he doesn’t have to be good.  He can suck.  To date, that’s what it looks, smells, and tastes like.

Making money and running a franchise are not the same thing.

Absolutely

Peter Angelos has been doing that with the Orioles for decades. 

Tepper is making money on the franchise (900 million more in valuation since he bought the Panthers)...........so performance on the field is a cherry on top but not necessary.

All NFL franchises are money makers......the overall league success will cause all team values (boats) to rise.

There is a reason why NFL team owners has become a billionaire club and its not because they don't make money no matter who the team is.......

The losers in the equation are the fans conned into their die hard worship of bad franchises where their performance on the grid iron is only secondary to the bottom line of the owners pockets. 

That.......and of course in the case for the Panthers................a really really nice state of the art practice facility........LOL!

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Mr. Tepper was a passive and minuscule investor in the Steelers...

...he had absolutely nothing to do with day-to-day operations in any part of that great franchise 🤦‍♂️

True. But one would think Tepper would have learned how an NFL team operate through observation. 

• Pie 1

Panthers first owner was in the NFCCG in year 2.  He hired a NFL guy to be the HC.  

Tepper literally said the league is designed for everyone to be .500.  What you do above or below that is your front office and coaching staff.  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Panthers first owner was in the NFCCG in year 2.  He hired a NFL guy to be the HC.  

Tepper literally said the league is designed for everyone to be .500.  What you do above or below that is your front office and coaching staff.  

That is true but you are leaving out the fact that that team had the advantage of picking/drafting/signing players that other teams save Jacksonville could not.  Jacksonville who had the same advantage was also in the playoffs in their second season.  It's not the same comparison.  

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Hire bad people and get a bad product. This organization is infested with incompetence and people performing poorly.

JR is a POS but he does understand the NFL. He still put an image he found desirable above winning but his mediocre product looks top shelf from where we sit right now. That stings, and fug JR. 

It's pretty bleak right now. When you start to wonder if your Fandom can withstand the stink or if you even care anymore, it's real bad. Since 1995 I can't think of a time where this team was as pathetic on so many levels.

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That is true but you are leaving out the fact that that team had the advantage of picking/drafting/signing players that other teams save Jacksonville could not.  Jacksonville who had the same advantage was also in the playoffs in their second season.  It's not the same comparison.  

Jags did a better job of maintaining that early success than we did too.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jags did a better job of maintaining that early success than we did too.

They did for a while. But we have not been much more successful than them overall honestly.

We have mostly avoided the expansion team blues since inception in that we have hovered around average so far.  But this team has a lot of building to do before we see a regularly competitive team.

As a long time football watcher like yourself we have seen a lot a crap thrown at the wall with these teams trying to build a successful franchise. The vast majority of the team's outside the playoff regulars cannot maintain any success beyond one playoff appearance evey few years. Sound familiar?

I think the biggest issue our team has faced, and probably most bottom half teams do, is the lack of depth to weather the war of attrition with injuries.  Not having adequate depth is a season killer for a lot of teams as injuries pill up. We have just sucked at building depth at crucial positions.  In the past when we stayed relatively injury free we tend to have a good season.  When not..well you see season's like this one.  Although this season was aided by not having adequate starters at crucial positions so the injuries there did not matter because they sucked anyway. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1