• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone still trust Tepper at this point?

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Spending money on a coach is only a bad thing if it's a Reason he won't move on.  Not sure that is true.

I don't really want the owner involved with things on the field frankly. I just want him able to move on from those not performing.  He did so with Rivera and Hurney... Hoping he does with Rhule as well.  He may give him a third year, which would disappoint me, but we will see.

Spending money on any position is bad if you spend it on the wrong guy.

As far as on-field involvement though, I agree that the only influence he should have there is the hiring of the person who handles all of that stuff.

Unfortunately, his choices on that front so far (Hurney, Rhule) haven't exactly inspired confidence.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As far as on-field involvement though, I agree that the only influence he should have there is the hiring of the person who handles all of that stuff.

Unfortunately, his choices on that front so far (Hurney, Rhule) haven't exactly inspired confidence.

Agreed. Keeping Hurney for as long as he did was a bad sign of things to come IMO. Especially letting Hurney have a huge hand in hiring Rhule. That should have been a sign, if Hurney is raving over a coach, it’s probably a bad hire. 

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

Agreed. Keeping Hurney for as long as he did was a bad sign of things to come IMO. Especially letting Hurney have a huge hand in hiring Rhule. That should have been a sign, if Hurney is raving over a coach, it’s probably a bad hire. 

Goes back to what I've said before...

Jerry Richardson's biggest flaw was that he always seemed to trust the wrong people.

I was hoping we'd get away from that with David Tepper, but so far it's still up in the air.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ehh. I'd rather he spend money on who he thought was a good choice and be wrong than miss out on someone because he's cheap.  He can, in theory, learn.

Fitterer actually seemed a decent choice too.  Hard to evaluate him given Rhule but a lot of his moves have had good value.  FA OL was terrible but...

That said... I don't mind him moving slow to fire Rivera and Hurney.  Just hope he sees the trend this team is headed in and moves on from Rhule. 

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Ehh. I'd rather he spend money on who he thought was a good choice and be wrong than miss out on someone because he's cheap.  He can, in theory, learn.

Honestly, neither of those is a good option.

Yeah, he can learn, and I hope he does. Lord knows Jerry never did.

Moving on from Rhule would be a very positive sign. Keeping his nose out of the head coaching search that follows would be an even more positive one.

2 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Are we sure about this?  Teddy threw the *coaching staff* under the bus. admittedly, he was right, but are you sure that this was Tepper stepping in vs the staff being done with him?

I don't think we can blame Tepper directly for Darnold or a lack of Fields; if anything, what we've heard is he pushed hard for Fields.

A few different folks that cover the team have mentioned that Tepper is directly involved with the search for a QB. His comments about needing a great GM, HC, and QB are commonly referenced in regards to it along with his comments about where he made it clear he didn't want Teddy.

I was listening to a podcast recently (I think it might have been ellis') where it was covered again? I'll have to try and remember who it was that was mentioning it. Maybe Sheena Quick?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

A few different folks that cover the team have mentioned that Tepper is directly involved with the search for a QB. His comments about needing a great GM, HC, and QB are commonly referenced in regards to it along with his comments about where he made it clear he didn't want Teddy.

I was listening to a podcast recently (I think it might have been ellis') where it was covered again? I'll have to try and remember who it was that was mentioning it. Maybe Sheena Quick?

I can't help but believe a more experienced HC would have been able to talk Tepper off the ledge when it comes to frittering away cap space and draft picks on backup QBs in the middle of a supposed team rebuilding project.  For whatever reason Rhule wasn't able to do that and now the team finds itself in a bigger hole than they started with at the QB position.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Icege said:

Ahh I know Tepper is pushing for a franchise QB, but if he really was pushing THAT hard, we would actually have Fields I think.  Did you mean that Sheena Quick claimed that Tepper specifically forced them to move on from Teddy?  Because that seemed surprising.  

I think that Teddy was not the answer, and the staff thought Darnold might be.  The staff didn't think Fields was.  I think he is clearly going with what our staff thinks rather than forcing them to go in his direction, or we'd have Fields instead of Horn.

Btw, did Tepper make comments beyond the whole "you're constantly evaluating the QB position if it isn't a guy that can lead you to the playoffs"? I wasn't sure if he specifically called Teddy out (not that he necessarily needed to, lol).

There are big mis-steps for sure.  I think hiring Rhule was a mistake. I believe hanging on to him for another year will also be a mistake. IMO he is a new owner making some bad decisions. But I’m not ready to brand him a bad owner.  Yet…

As far as trust, I don’t think it matters whether I trust him or not.  He’s the owner and I’m a fan. I will be happy when things work out and be pissed when they don’t.  My situation is different than many though, as I seldom get to attend games. If I were going to the stadium consistently, I would definitely be re-evaluating the financial investment.  

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Ahh I know Tepper is pushing for a franchise QB, but if he really was pushing THAT hard, we would actually have Fields I think.  Did you mean that Sheena Quick claimed that Tepper specifically forced them to move on from Teddy?  Because that seemed surprising.  

I think that Teddy was not the answer, and the staff thought Darnold might be.  The staff didn't think Fields was.  I think he is clearly going with what our staff thinks rather than forcing them to go in his direction, or we'd have Fields instead of Horn.

Btw, did Tepper make comments beyond the whole "you're constantly evaluating the QB position if it isn't a guy that can lead you to the playoffs"? I wasn't sure if he specifically called Teddy out (not that he necessarily needed to, lol).

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I'm fairly certain I've heard Sheena and ellis mention Tepper's involvement with finding a QB.

Total agreement here that Teddy wasn't the guy, but I think that holding tight on him for one more season would have this team in a better position to improve. Similar record but with resources to rebuild still.

• Pie 3