• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 Offensive Line vs. 2021 Offensive Line

thennek

47 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Of course we don’t know what we have in Brown yet but Trey looks great. Rhule is so arrogant he thought we were all set at OL and passed on a gift that fell in his lap for frigging Fletcher. We could’ve had Slater and Humphrey, two rookie Pro Bowlers over Horn and the invisible TMJ. Still picked BC as a LG or swing tackle and Brown and Smith in the 6th round. 

Yup, and still had Tremble who's having a decent year, and Shi Smith who has been way more productive than TMJ. Why draft TMJ and Shi then pay Robby $15m a year? ugh this is all gonna look even worse in hindsight in a few years

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yup, and still had Tremble who's having a decent year, and Shi Smith who has been way more productive than TMJ. Why draft TMJ and Shi then pay Robby $15m a year? ugh this is all gonna look even worse in hindsight in a few years

Rhule would’ve actually fixed a problem if he had simply focused on the line. Everything broke our way but he’s so incompetent he screwed it up. I’d love to know how involved Fitt was on those blunders. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Rhule would’ve actually fixed a problem if he had simply focused on the line. Everything broke our way but he’s so incompetent he screwed it up. I’d love to know how involved Fitt was on those blunders. 

In that confidential it seemed like Scott trading back and Rhule blurting out who he wanted. Obviously the long snapper and Chuba (who is not as good as Eli Mitchell or Khalil Herbert taken after him)

• Pie 1

2020 was at least average on the bad days......this 2021 group is just bad. Including Moton whom looks like he is pulling a Tri Turner now that he got paid, hes been pissed poor.

Im a John Miller fan, but this season hes played very poor before and after coofus.

Daley gets my vote as the worst of the worst. Former fan as well.

Erv played about 50% "average/decent/ok" to 50% "daley"

Theres some light.....I blasted on Elf, but he looks "decent" at C after a few games. Christ and Brown may get roles for 2022. Plus moton could bounce back to solid/no worries status. I still believe Christ would be one hell of a LG and Brown should be a serviceable RG as well.

Need to find a NFL LT, they are much rarer than NFL QBs. Thats the biggest issue, needs to be at the top of every list.....

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, thennek said:

Let's talk O-Line and solutions for 2022:  Of course, we all want a new LT and etc, but is this realistic, and with this coaching staff does it make a difference:

The 2020 O-Line was ranked 18 at year end.  Okung played like half the games, and so LT was a revolving door of Okung, Little and Scott.  LG was also a revolving door of Reed, Daley, and Schofield.  C was mostly Paradis but some Larsen.  RG was John Miller, and LT Moton.  In 2020, the right side of the Panthers O-line with Miller and Moton was average to sometimes solid.  Even with all of the changes at LT and LG, the Panthers 2020 O-line was clearly better than the 2021 O-line (not that the 2020 line was super great, but easily better than 2021).  Latest rankings show the Panthers 2021 O-line to be 'near the bottom'.  

So, my question is why is the 2021 O-line so much worse than 2020?  Clearly, Miller has taken a step back as has Scott and Daley.  Losing Larsen, Reed, Schofield, Okung, and Little should not have made this much of a negative difference.  Not that Erving, Eflein, Daley, Scott, Miller and etc are top tier offensive lineman, but I don't see how they are significantly worse than last year.  Obviously, more talent is needed, but I am wondering if there may be a combination of several other things missing.  In other words, maybe talent would not be enough to fix the problem.  With the right scheme and consistency, this o-line could/should be significantly better.  This would be a coaching issue.....

One thing noticed is the Panthers have had a combination of 12 different starters in their 15-games this year.  Some of this is due to injury, but much of it is due to coaching decisions.  Consistency and scheme seem to be missing from this o-line.  As an example, Gross and Wharton had consistency and were even were neighbors and carpooled together.  Those two had mojo when playing side by side.  Either the Panthers have not 'picked guys' that fit 'their scheme', or they are not putting them in a position to be successful.  Too many changes....IE - Brady C has played, RT, RG, LG, and LT this year as a rookie.  How can this be setting him up for success?  Scott and Daley has also been moved around quite a bit.  Even the best players are not able to constantly change positions.  Again, Miller and Moton were a pretty good combo last year, but are not this year. 

With all of the holes on this team (DT, MLB, S, TE, QB) and with limited draft picks I don't think the Panthers will have the resources to completely gut the o-line and start over.  And if scheme, consistently, and coaching is contributing to terrible o-line play, new talent will not make that much of a difference.  I truly believe some of these o-line guys are salvageable enough to be adequate...clearly need a stud C and LG as maybe, just maybe Brady could be an avg LT.

BTW - Rhule has made a complete mess of this 'rebuild'.  The QB situation could not be worse but that is another topic, but unfortunately related to the o-line.  

Film shows many things.  

Same guys. Same tendencies.  Same old juvenile blocking schemes supporting a jr. high offense 

just as the defensive backfield knows  the passing routes, the front 7 knows the schemes and tendencies 

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s coaching. Miller, Scott, and Daley (at G) have looked decent in the past. Also looks like BC might be benched for Erving while MJ and Miller will be starting…

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/carolina-panthers-release-depth-chart-vs-saints-12-29

The only think left interesting in this team was if BC can progress into a decent LT, but we might not even know this year… 

Rhule consistently rolling with guys like Erving and Elflein, despite their clearly poor play in their careers are why we struggle.

We have a bad OL coach(was known when he wad hired) and a bad HC that probably fancies himself an OL expert because of his 15 minutes of OL coaching experience with the Giants.

I said over and over last offseason that Teddy made the 2020 OL look far better than it was because he got rid of the ball so quickly. That isn't the case in 2021. Darnold has always held on to the ball too long trying to figure out what is going on in front of him and Cam has always tended to hold onto the ball too long trying to make a play. With a bad OL, that will get you drilled.....a LOT.

• Pie 1

Several factors. 1st being CMC. It changes the game plan and the way they block based on the runners style. Different QBs. And I think teams are blitzing us more or run blitzing us as they know we can't really run (why Rhule wants to run the ball). Even Moton is not having an all-pro year but still solid. Changing QBs, lots of injuries. Sometimes it's more of that and the fact we don't have the greatest talent level across the line only adds to it. Stability to have the same 5 guys with just one or two missing some time would have helped but we don't even have that.

• Pie 1