• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling Huddle GM’s: How would you fix our QB and O line in ONE offseason?

WarPanthers89

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I agree with everything you said in paragraph 2. You're overly optimistic in paragraph 1. 

It amazes me that so many people think Carolina is a desirable destination for highly ranked FA offensive lineman. Way too many posters keep saying we can fix the line thru free agency. Well, we're not the only team attempting to upgrade their line this off-season. 

We are on of the five or sixth worst teams in the NFL with all of the problems you clearly outlined in paragraph two. I don't think ANY good to great lineman would even consider coming here, and the last thing we need are mediocre lineman. Then again mediocre might be an upgrade at the guard and center positions.

We’re talking about offensive linemen, including interior linemen. Not QBs. These guys respond to money, and the panthers should be willing to pay lots and lots of money.

They should take the same approach to free agency on the line that they did last season-the différence being they should target players who haven’t been proven failures throughout the entirety of their career.

pay money.

22 minutes ago, Growl said:

We’re talking about offensive linemen, including interior linemen. Not QBs. These guys respond to money, and the panthers should be willing to pay lots and lots of money.

They should take the same approach to free agency on the line that they did last season-the différence being they should target players who haven’t been proven failures throughout the entirety of their career.

pay money.

We have less than $25 million in cap space...and part of that needs to be set aside for our rookie class.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

We don't "lots and lots of money" to pay anyone. And even if we did, we're not the only team who has money to bid on a FA lineman's service this off-season. A lot of other teams are in a better position to offer more money than we could. Plus, we have some FA's that must be paid "if" we want to retain them (Gilmore, Jackson, Reddick)

Rhule came here to establish a winning culture and end what Tepper called "sustained mediocrity". The culture here is worse than before they arrived. We've had three straight 5-win seasons. That's worse than sustained mediocrity. And the trades we made in 2021 may set us back even more.

I'm telling you, if people have their hopes up of fixing the O-line by signing one or two of the top FA lineman this off-season I expect them to be sorely disappointed.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

We have less than $25 million in cap space...and part of that needs to be set aside for our rookie class.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

We don't "lots and lots of money" to pay anyone. And even if we did, we're not the only team who has money to bid on a FA lineman's service this off-season. A lot of other teams are in a better position to offer more money than we could. Plus, we have some FA's that must be paid "if" we want to retain them (Gilmore, Jackson, Reddick)

Rhule came here to establish a winning culture and end what Tepper called "sustained mediocrity". The culture here is worse than before they arrived. We've had three straight 5-win seasons. That's worse than sustained mediocrity. And the trades we made in 2021 may set us back even more.

I'm telling you, if people have their hopes up of fixing the O-line by signing one or two of the top FA lineman this off-season I expect them to be sorely disappointed.

The salary cap is an illusory tool. It has never in any way prevented any team from doing something it truly wanted to do. It is malleable to the point of obsolescence and means absolutely nothing.

• Beer 1

Keep Cam Newton as starter. Draft Aqeel Glass to groom over 2 to 3 seasons. Build a team around them that a SB winning QB may want to step in and take over at. That will solve the QB problem and give you a QB that can take you through the playoffs.

OL is not difficult to solve either. Moton and Christensen stay at OT. Need leadership. Draft Tyler Linderbaum for C and OL leader. Draft Zach Tom, also a leader, for Starting G and backup C. Let Linderbaum and Tom make the OL calls. Sign Trai Turner in free agency.

LT Christensen, LG Turner, C Linderbaum, RG Tom, RT Moton. Deonte Brown hopefully can stay in shape to be a top backup at G and T.

RB CMC, re-sign Abdullah, and draft Leddie Brown. Hubbard can be #4 if there is room.

WR. Good at complimentary receivers. Need a #1 receiver. Sign Sammy Watkins, Christian Kirk, and Chris Conley to pair with DJ and Robby. Draft Jaquarii Roberson and Reggie Roberson Jr.

TE. Trade for Hunter Henry, sign David Njoku, sign Jesse James, Tremble for depth.

Don't worry, I never get my way. Rhule will see to that.

14 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I discussed this in an earlier post, but I'll jump in.

Keep Brady at LT.

Draft Linderbaum at CENTER with our 6th pick.

Start Deonte at RG.

Moton is already a fixture at RT.

Draft the best G on the board in the 4th round.

Now, if we could trade down in the first and still get Linderbaum, then I'd draft the best guard on the board with our acquired pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd.

This would address all the spots and it wouldn't cost us a lot money. We could use the available money to retain our FA' or acquire some.

Of course if Brady and Deonte don't pan out, we'll be screwed 

This is exactly what I was looking at for us. Linderbaum is exactly the pick we need. No effing around and getting cute... grab the best center in the draft and install him as a fixture for the next decade. Keep Elflein on hand to help mentor him (if necessary) and to play LG beside him in the early part of the season while developing a new guard from later in the draft or from the undrafted prospects. If no on Elflein, then it might be time to dance with the White Buffalo again and make an honest run at bringing Andrew Norwell back before Buffalo or WFT get him.

Then, what to do at QB. Well, we're on the hook for him so keep Darnold on the roster as your back up. In a best of situation, this might be the best career spot for him. He has a moment or two here and there, so just keep him at that spot for emergencies. Pick up a free agent journeyman to start or a second stringer who needs a shot. Maybe you get a Jake Delhomme if you strike gold, but all you are shooting for is just someone who can compete. Franchise QB is the target for next year. 

And fug the whole Deshaun Watson crap. Just quit it. While I'd be happy seeing us take a swing at Garopolo, chances are his price tag is going to be too high. Watson would be a train wreck with long-term implications.

• Pie 1

Fire everyone,HC and GM. Hire better people in a more reasonable power structure, so many to choose from. Hire Colbert after the draft and consult under the table on staffing.

Move Darnold, eat lots of cap but try to get a 5th or higher. Sign the kind of QB we should have the last 2 years. basically what Cam was in 2021, cheap and positive movement forward. No burdens.

Move CMC to WR or trade him. Tricky but depends on him and what cap we would need to eat vs a pick value.

Dump Elf and Erving. Maybe Brady to LT but if the draft drops another Slater then take that guy and make Brady into a LG. Find a damn Center in the draft. 

Trade Anderson if possible. Begin talking to Moore about extention but big cap hit has to wait until 2022.

Resign Reddick. Let Gilmore and Jackson walk.

We could have some hope, watch players get coached up and actually enjoy the year vs wallowing in the mistakes of this still employed crew.

So many options.  Here's my plan.

1. Restructures.  Convert Moton's 2022 16m base salary to bonus (15m) and base (2m).  Add a void year.  Cap hit changes from 19m. to 9m.  Save 10m.

2. Extend DJ - 4 yrs/60m.  25m bonus with void year.  2022 11m base salary converts to cap hit of 6m.  Saves 5.

Now we have around 40m in cap room.

3. The following players walk and could net comp picks...Reddick, Jackson, Jones, Thomas, Carter, Burris, Cam.  Maybe we get 3 extra picks for 2023.  This will help counteract void years.

4. Re-sign Gilmore (2/20m, 12m bonus, 1 void year, cap hits=5m, 11m, 4m).

5. Re-sign at reasonable deals Erickson, Zylstra, Haynes.

6. Move Chinn back to LB.  Now we need a SS.

Key Needs: QB, OL, OL, TE, MLB, SS.  Remaining Assets: around 30m Cap, Picks 1,4,5,5,6,7.

7. If a "franchise" QB is there at 6, try to move back to 9 (Denver) or 11 (WFT) and grab an extra 2nd and future 2nd.

8. If I can't move back, Ekwonu is my pick (assuming Neal is gone).  If I can move back - the Iowa center is the pick assuming Ekwonu is gone.

9. If I was able to move back, I'm looking at QB, SS, MLB, or G in the second - whichever offers the best value.

10. 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th: MLB, SS, G, DE, TE in no particular order.

11. I only consider QB in this draft if I am able to pick up an extra 2nd by moving back.  Otherwise, Darnold is my guy until 2023 when the new regime comes in and we are picking top 5. 

12. I target TE and maybe SS in free agency.  Nothing flashy.  Hang onto those comp picks and around 20m for emergencies and maximum rollover.

Probable OL: Moton, Brown/Draftee, Elf or Iowa Center, Ekwonu/Draftee, Christiansen.  Erving is a Swing.  With potentially 2 rookies and 2 second-year players, I believe there will be improvement, but not enough to prevent us from getting a very high pick in 2023.  Eventually this group could be very good.

In 2023, the new regime will have some decent talent: a very good defense, a top 5 pick, and hopefully 3 extra comp picks, and an extra 2023 second.  Just need to find and develop a franchise QB for long-term.

41 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

This is exactly what I was looking at for us. Linderbaum is exactly the pick we need. No effing around and getting cute... grab the best center in the draft and install him as a fixture for the next decade. Keep Elflein on hand to help mentor him (if necessary) and to play LG beside him in the early part of the season while developing a new guard from later in the draft or from the undrafted prospects. If no on Elflein, then it might be time to dance with the White Buffalo again and make an honest run at bringing Andrew Norwell back before Buffalo or WFT get him.

If Linderbaum is as good as advertised we need to grab him. A great center makes the entire line better. I didn't even consider using Elflein at LG to start the season (or even for the whole year if he plays well) while another player is groomed. That really could work, especially if Deonte could hold up at RG.

I just looked at SPOTRAC and noticed that Norwell is only 30. I wonder if he'd ever consider coming back to Carolina? Thing is, the coaches and front office executives he's familiar with are all in Buffalo and Washington now. I think he'd consider them over us, especially seeing how much the franchise has fallen off since he was last here.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

We're stuck with Sam, keep him as a backup.

Re-sign Cam to a one year deal to be the committed starter, no rotating BS. 

Sign top free agent OL talent, no scrubs, no castaways. One solid OL player is better than 3-4 scrubs like we purchased last year.

Draft the Iowa Center Lindenbaum, Ikowonu the NCSU OT, or Cross.

Draft the best OL player in the 4th, really hoping we can trade up or acquire some picks through a trade with one of our current players. 

Also possibly draft a project QB in the 4th or 5th rounds, a Davis Mills type - low risk high reward. Someone that can actually get some reps late in the season if Cam and Sam are just absolute damaged goods.

The season is an absolute wash anyways, whoever we hire as OC will most likely take over as interim HC. Hopefully we have a a top 3 pick so we can go all in on Bryce Young or CJ Stroud in the 2023 NFL draft.

Edited by GOAT
  • Pie 4

1. Sign Kyle Long + Ethan Pocic to address the interior.
2. Draft Ikem Ekwonu OR trade back and draft Tyler Linderbaum

If Ekwonu is selected, have him and Christensen compete for LT/LG and let the chips fall as they may there. Have Pocic + Elflein compete for center, Long + Brown compete for RG, and start Moton at RT.

If Linderbaum is selected, have him, Pocic, and Elflein compete for C/LG. Start Christensen and Moton as the tackles, and have Long + Brown compete for RG.

As far as QB goes, try to land one in the draft or see if there's a deal too good to pass up in free agency via signing or trade.

1 hour ago, Borat said:

Don't bother doing both. Full fix on the OL. Trot Darnold and/or Cam out again and preserve cap space, or sign a ~Dalton (/ Bridgewater, but that ship has sailed) if you're really trying to clear the slate. 

You’d like that wouldn’t you

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Icege said:

1. Sign Kyle Long + Ethan Pocic to address the interior.
2. Draft Ikem Ekwonu OR trade back and draft Tyler Linderbaum

If Ekwonu is selected, have him and Christensen compete for LT/LG and let the chips fall as they may there. Have Pocic + Elflein compete for center, Long + Brown compete for RG, and start Moton at RT.

If Linderbaum is selected, have him, Pocic, and Elflein compete for C/LG. Start Christensen and Moton as the tackles, and have Long + Brown compete for RG.

As far as QB goes, try to land one in the draft or see if there's a deal too good to pass up in free agency via signing or trade.

They are not drafting Linderbaum.  Rhule basically said that BC is going to be tried at center.