• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coaching News

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Which I don’t get because he did it before after the 2014-2016 lull where there was “firing talks” but hey I guess lucking into Drew Brees saved half that headache.

that’s the difference 

he had a QB. Building when you have an elite QB and rebuilding when you don’t are two very different things 

if Wilson ends up in new Orleans I suspect Payton will be quite content to stick around

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

wants to be given the keys to a better team rather than having to stick around through the suck and risk his rep

I was listening to a sports talk show a few days ago and they were speculating that with Brees gone, no cap room and a good deal of key players up for free agency, the Saints were at the threshold of a rebuild.  That being said, they speculated...and this is rare, some team could poach Payton for right amount of draft capital.  The Saints hit the reset button, create some cap room and stockpile future draft picks in a deal for Payton.

They can't keep kicking their cap hell down the road and without a franchise QB to keep the SB window open, all they are doing is throwing good money after bad just to stay an average club.

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I was listening to a sports talk show a few days ago and they were speculating that with Brees gone, no cap room and a good deal of key players up for free agency, the Saints were at the threshold of a rebuild.  That being said, they speculated...and this is rare, some team could poach Payton for right amount of draft capital.  The Saints hit the reset button, create some cap room and stockpile future draft picks in a deal for Payton.

They can't keep kicking their cap hell down the road and without a franchise QB to keep the SB window open, all they are doing is throwing good money after bad just to stay an average club.

The Saints probably are screwed in the short term.  I read something that speculated Payton could retire and take a season off.  Then return with a different team.  If he did that, he gets a vacation.  And the team he goes to won't have to give up draft picks.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

The Saints probably are screwed in the short term.  I read something that speculated Payton could retire and take a season off.  Then return with a different team.  If he did that, he gets a vacation.  And the team he goes to won't have to give up draft picks.

Yes, but isn't there like 8 vacancies right now?  Even if Payton takes a year off, there isn't any certainty a vacancy will be open next season he would want.  Historically, the Bears, Vikings, Broncos and Giants are not bad franchises despite their recent struggles. The Raiders have a roster that can win now and the thought of Vegas could be appealing to him.  Same with the Dolphins, the cabinet is fairly well stocked there and living at South Beach isn't too shabby.  Unless he's rolling the dice that McCarthy is booted next year in Dallas, I can't think of a club that enters next year with coaches on the hot seat . I doubt he's waiting for Rhule to get canned here. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yes, but isn't there like 8 vacancies right now?  Even if Payton takes a year off, there isn't any certainty a vacancy will be open next season he would want.  Historically, the Bears, Vikings, Broncos and Giants are not bad franchises despite their recent struggles. The Raiders have a roster that can win now and the thought of Vegas could be appealing to him.  Same with the Dolphins, the cabinet is fairly well stocked there and living at South Beach isn't too shabby.  Unless he's rolling the dice that McCarthy is booted next year in Dallas, I can't think of a club that enters next year with coaches on the hot seat . I doubt he's waiting for Rhule to get canned here. 

My guess would be the Cowboys job.  But you make a good point.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Common sentiment right now...

I'll grant that there are still valid arguments for and against them both, but after tonight if Eric Bieniemy and Brian Daboll don't get head coaching jobs, I won't know what to think.

Is he calling plays?  Oh, right, still King Andy.

If he's such a talent, as Reid keeps trying to tell people, why doesn't he get to call the plays?  Do you really believe in him Andy?  Hand him the keys.  You've clearly got a Ferrari there, if he can't succeed with that cast why should anyone believe he can?

53 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Is he calling plays?  Oh, right, still King Andy.

If he's such a talent, as Reid keeps trying to tell people, why doesn't he get to call the plays?  Do you really believe in him Andy?  Hand him the keys.  You've clearly got a Ferrari there, if he can't succeed with that cast why should anyone believe he can?

I grant it's a legitimate question. Concern about the arrest history is valid as well.

With that said, if he doesn't get a head coaching job after last night, I'll be flabbergasted.