• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alright screw it, take Pickett

RumHam

I still hope the Panthers take an LT with their #6 pick.  But with Campen now on the staff, I have confidence the OL is going to be fixed in some way, shape or form next season.   

So this leads me to be somewhat OK if the coaching staff really likes one of the QB in the first round and takes him.  The Panthers should have their choice of the entire class since I don't think any team before us needs a quarterback (except maybe the Giants ??).

• Pie 1

Have y'all did ANY research on the upcoming crop of QBs?  Legit they like five guys that are seen as 1st rounders (not weak class inflated stock) and this is a strong class of oline.  We have a legit chance of taking Neal for instance. If Houston and Detroit decide to go pass rusher (very talented top heavy class) then both the NY teams take Ikem and Cross for instance. Sitting at six and taking Neal, Cross or Ikem is the a nice problem to have.  Only way we could f this up is reaching for a QB.  

30 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I still hope the Panthers take an LT with their #6 pick.  But with Campen now on the staff, I have confidence the OL is going to be fixed in some way, shape or form next season.   

So this leads me to be somewhat OK if the coaching staff really likes one of the QB in the first round and takes him.  The Panthers should have their choice of the entire class since I don't think any team before us needs a quarterback (except maybe the Giants ??).

Choice of runts of the litter.  Next year is gonna be a game changing crop.  Being inpatient and rushing the process will hurt us.  

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

We are not trading back for a QB when you have a glaring need on the offensive line. Sam Darnold came to a Carolina situation that was too similar to the Jets. You have Darnold under contract so you let him play it out. Draft offensive linemen to build for whatever QB of the future you take in 2023.

Sam Darnold could play behind the NFC Pro Bowl offensive line for a full season we'd still have a terrible offense. Get the quarterback, then figure out the rest later. 

21 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Again, do you even see a Hebert in this draft?  I don't.  It was a coin flip if the Dolphins were going to take Tua or Herbert.  Herbert could have easily been QB2 behind Burrow.  If picks 2-4 needed a QB, he could have went higher.  Point being, this class is not great and blindly throwing darts at the board hoping you hit a bulls eye is not a strategy...it's desperation.

Which QB stood out this season from last years draft? Jeez, talk about desperation. 

1st Round

• 2021 - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields Mac Jones
  • 2020 - Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love
  • 2019 - Kyle Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins
  • 2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson
  • 2017 - Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson
  • 2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch
  • 2015 - Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
  • 2014 - Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater

2nd Round

• 2021 - Kyle Trask
  • 2020 - Jalen Hurts
  • 2019 - Drew Lock
  • 2017 - DeShone Kizer
  • 2016 - Christian Hackenberg
  • 2014 - Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo

3rd Round

• 2021 - Kellen Mond, Davis Mills
  • 2019 - Will Grier
  • 2018 - Mason Rudolph
  • 2017 - Davis Webb, CJ Beathard
  • 2016 - Jacob Brissett, Cody Kessler
  • 2015 - Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion

4th Round

• 2021 - Ian Book
  • 2020 - Jacob Eason, James Morgan
  • 2019 - Ryan Finley, Jarrett Stidham
  • 2018 - Kyle Lauletta
  • 2017 - Josh Dobbs
  • 2016 - Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, Cardale Jones
  • 2015 - Bryce Petty
  • 2014 - Logan Thomas (TE), Tom Savage

5th Round

• 2020 - Jake Fromm
  • 2019 - Easton Stick, Clayton Thorson
  • 2018 - Mike White
  • 2017 - Nathan Peterman
  • 2016 - Kevin Hogan
  • 2015 - Brett Hundley
  • 2014 - Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, David Fales, KEith Wenning, Tajh Boyd, Garrett Gilbert

6th Round

• 2021 - Sam Ehlinger
  • 2020 - Jake Luton
  • 2019 - Gardner Minshew, Trace McSorley
  • 2018 - Luke Falk, Tanner Lee
  • 2017 - Brad Kaaya
  • 2016 - Nate Sudfeld, Jake Rudock, Brandon Allen, Jeff Driskel

7th Round

• 2021 - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields Mac Jones
  • 2020 - Cole McDonald, Ben DiNucci, Tommy Stevens, Nate Stanley
  • 2018 - Danny Etling, Alex McGough, Logan Woodside
  • 2017 - Chad Kelly
  • 2016 - Brandon Doughty
  • 2015 - Trevor Siemian

UDFA

• 2021 - Collin Hill, Shane Buechele, Jamie Newman, Feleipe Franks
  • 2020 - Tyler Huntley, Kevin Davidson, Riley Neal, Jalen Morton, Nick Tiano, Shea Patterson, Bryce Perkins, Josh Love, Brian Lewerke, J'Mar Smith, Case Cookus, Khalil Tate, Broc Rutter, Anthony Gordon, Reid Sinnett, Steven Montez
  • 2019 - Tyree Jackson, Jake Dolegala, David Blough, Brett Rypien, Kyle Shurmur, John Lovett, TJ Linta, Gage Ferguson, Manny Wilkins, Jake Browning, Nick Fitzgerald, Drew Anderson, Wilton Speight, Taryn Christion
  • 2018 - Austin Allen, Kyle Allen, Reggie Bonnafon, Kurt Benkert, Jack Henegan, Chad Kanoff, Peter Pujals, Tim Boyle, Dalton Sturm, Nic Shimonek, Quinton Flowers
  • 2017 - Zach Terrell, Nick Schuessler, Kyle Sloter, Eli Jenkins, Zach Conque, PJ Walker, Tyler Ferguson, Cooper Rush, Austin Appleby, Taysom Hill, Wes Lunt, Trevor Knight, Nick Mullens, Skyler Howard, Tyrone Swoopes, Alek Torgerson, Sefo Liufau
  • 2016 - Joe Licata, Jason Vander Laan, Max Wittek, Mike Bercovici, Joe Callahan, Marquise Williams, Joel Stave, Jake Coker, Trevone Boykin
  • 2015 - Jason Lovelocke, Shane Carden, Jameill Showers, Brandon Bridge, Anthony Boone, Kevin Rodgers, Bryan Bennett, Nick Marshall, Jake Waters, Taylor Heinicke, Devin Gardner, Cody Fajardo, Andrew Hendrix, Tyler Murphy, Cole Stoudt, Dylan Thompson, Connor Halliday
  • 2014 - Jeff Matthews, Connor Shaw, Dustin Vaughn, Bryn Renner, James Franklin, Chase Rettig, Seth Lobato, Stephen Morris, Travis Partridge, Logan Kilgore, Taylor Martinez, Brendon Kay, Kory Faulkner, Keith Price, Brett Smith, Tommy Rees

Folks are more than welcome to use that list to confirm whatever bias they already have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, Icege said:

1st Round

• 2021 - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields Mac Jones
  • 2020 - Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love
  • 2019 - Kyle Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins
  • 2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson
  • 2017 - Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson
  • 2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch
  • 2015 - Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
  • 2014 - Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater

. . . . . 

Folks are more than welcome to use that list to confirm whatever bias they already have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great list.  Thanks for posting.

With a quick analysis, it looks like around 1/2 of 1st round QB's make it as decent starters (depending on how you want to define "decent").   And of these starters, many went 1.1 in the draft.  

After that, it's basically nobody.  Derek Carr and Dak Prescott were starters from the later rounds but that's 2/65 if I counted correctly.  And that ratio ignores the multitude of UDFA.  I'd guess most of the UDFA QB's were just training camp arms.  

My takeaway is if you don't get a QB in the 1st, it's not going to happen.  And actually it should be high in the first, like the top 10 picks or even top 5.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Icege said:

God damn copypasta! 

ian hecox fist shake GIF

EDIT: JUST missed the edit window. Gdi.

fwiw there were no 7th rd QBs in 2021

WTF is up with the edit window here?  Is that to just fug with us or what?  Why not make in like 5 mins.

Edited by Shocker

One more takeaway from Icege's QB list:  most every year had at least one or two good QB's.

Even 2014, which seemed like the worst of the bunch, had Teddy Bridgewater.  He may be limited in a lot of ways but Bridgewater can game manage OK.    Maybe 2015 had none with Jameis Winston currently a FA.  

But almost every class has talent.  It's all about finding the guy who's a good fit for your system and developing him correctly.  

• Pie 1