• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Halftime adjustments

1st down

Honest question-after watching the Bengals come back from 21-10 yesterday does anyone remember a time where we had coaching that was able to make adjustments at halftime? I've been following the team since its inception and one of the only times I really remember the team making a significant halftime adjustment was the Super Bowl against the cheating Patriots. They were beating us early on because they knew our defensive signals and at the half I remember the original game plan was tossed, which threw them off and gave us a chance to win. Other than that, have we ever had a coaching staff that was consistently able to do it? Granted, I'm getting old so my memory of the games in the 90's is getting hazy, lol.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, 1st down said:

Honest question-after watching the Bengals come back from 21-10 yesterday does anyone remember a time where we had coaching that was able to make adjustments at halftime? I've been following the team since its inception and one of the only times I really remember the team making a significant halftime adjustment was the Super Bowl against the cheating Patriots. They were beating us early on because they knew our defensive signals and at the half I remember the original game plan was tossed, which threw them off and gave us a chance to win. Other than that, have we ever had a coaching staff that was consistently able to do it? Granted, I'm getting old so my memory of the games in the 90's is getting hazy, lol.

Rhule is the worst coach in team history and look no further than the third quarter this past season as proof. Other team made adjustments at half time. Rhule made some stupid speech in the locker room. Whistle blows and Panthers get curb stomped because the other team had competent NFL coaches. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I remember back when Dom Capers was coach in 96, we were known as a pretty good second half team.

Then a year later, Capers got roster control and everything went to hell.

Capers was a good coach for us the first two years but completely agree it all went to hell once he got roster control. Sean Gilbert, anyone?

3 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Rhule is the worst coach in team history and look no further than the third quarter this past season as proof. Other team made adjustments at half time. Rhule made some stupid speech in the locker room. Whistle blows and Panthers get curb stomped because the other team had competent NFL coaches. 

Pretty much. Rinse and repeat.

17 minutes ago, 1st down said:

Give me an example of a halftime adjustment the Bengals made to stop the chiefs after halftime. I know they did, just tell me what one adjustment was?

• Beer 1

The only thing we did well offensively was the first drive plays near the end of the year. Those first dozen or so scripted plays usually led to our offense moving down the field and scoring (or at least being in position to do so). Besides this one (+) I really can say our coaches didn't do much right at all. No Half-time adjustments, and no in-game adjustments that made sense. Overall our situational football was very poor and situational football really depends on having coaches who make good adjustments.

We do not have that currently IMO.

13 minutes ago, Actionman0z said:

Give me an example of a halftime adjustment the Bengals made to stop the chiefs after halftime. I know they did, just tell me what one adjustment was?

Umm, how about the defensive pressure they starting bringing? Mahomes was running around 10 yards in the backfield before he could even get off a pass due to the pressure the Bengals were bringing. Their DT Hill even got an interception, which doesn't happen often for the big defensive line guys unless there is pressure. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Actionman0z said:

They started dropping 8 into coverage, having one safety move up and linebackers drop back to basically have a double team on every WR/TE. Surprisingly seams like the Chiefs didn't adjust and start running more and Mahomes was just standing back there numerous times having no idea what to do

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Actionman0z said:

So what happened?

How the Bengals flustered Mahomes

The Bengals adjusted. Per NFL's NextGen Stats, the Bengals dropped eight-plus men in coverage on 45 percent of their defensive sets on pass plays after halftime. Before halftime, they did so just 25 percent of the time. The scheme from defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo worked.

According to NextGen Stats, Mahomes finished the day completing 7 of 13 passes for 59 yards with no touchdowns and an interception when facing eight or more men in coverage. He also took two sacks in those situations. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/patrick-mahomes-had-no-answers-for-this-bengals-second-half-adjustment-022623952.html#:~:text=The Bengals adjusted.,defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo worked.