• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You’re Matt Rhule…. What are you doing?

ncfan

50 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

This is pretty much the plan. Only difference is I agree with the trade back but  target QB and OL as opposed to WR with the acquired 2nd or third.  

That’s the popular route. I’m good with that also. I don’t want to unload top WR1 money on DJ. I wouldn’t make him a top 20 WR in the league salary wise, and we may be better off long term if we can get nice draft capital or players in exchange for him. 

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

I agree, only an idiot would judge a teams success with wins and losses.

What the hell has the NFL been thinking all these years?  Picking winners and losers based on wins and losses?  

Nah, we need to determine who the best teams are based on Rhule's invisible intangibles that only people like Actionman can see. 

TL/DR:  Fans can't see it, but Rhule knows 10X better than you or I.  Stop bitchin' and trust the process.

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

What the hell has the NFL been thinking all these years?  Picking winners and losers based on wins and losses?  

Nah, we need to determine who the best teams are based on Rhule's invisible intangibles that only people like Actionman can see. 

TL/DR:  Fans can't see it, but Rhule knows 10X better than you or I.  Stop bitchin' and trust the process.

This is why I always hate arguments like "yeah we're losing but look where we ranked on offense / defense / special teams / whatever".

People used to try and use similar arguments to try and say that, despite all the losing, Marty Hurney was actually a good GM.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I feel like we have to explain this a lot...

His job isn't to know more about football than fans. That'd be easy.

Rhule's job is to be better at coaching football than guys like Sean Payton, Bruce Arians and Bill Belichick.

What he showed last year is that he's not even as good a football coach as Joe Judge, Mike Zimmer, our old friend Ron Rivera and several other head coaches who wound up getting fired.

So yeah, if bragging about being better than fans is all you've got, welp...

If we are clearing talking about X’s and O’s I would venture there are a number of fans that know more

While I love the poo on Rhule stuff too because I think he's a dipshit in over his head, I will take a more serious tone for this response.  Here's 3 things Rhule should do IMMEDIATELY

1)Step. Away. From. The. Microphone.  Seriously, I've never seen someone with such tremendous foot in mouth disease and he doesn't know how to stop. From the Christensen arm length and double down on that debacle to blaming Cam for something he did correctly in game, it just seems he cant get out of his own way.  Watch some of the other good coaches talk, learn from them.  It sucks for us as fans to not get your honest opinions but it wont be as catastrophic as these situations.

2)Stop being hands on in the personnel decisions.  Not saying go completely away, but give fitterer a framework of what needs to be addressed and let HIM make those decisions, and just because he chose someone YOU may not agree on their fit, still give those players a chance or its all a complete moot point.  Fitt is paid to design the roster, you're paid to operate the roster, know the role and get back to that.

3)Listen to your new coaches.  FINALLY you have someone with NFL experience on your staff.  We as fans may not agree with the Macadoo hiring, and I openly made fun of the "rockstar" status of it, but he's still a guy with a ton of NFL experience, listen to them, they have insight that you don't, and will provide a HUGE value to you in many ways, and probably on both point one and and point 2 before this.

If Rhule does those things, and somehow can turn around this Hindenburg sized clusterfug, then he absolutely has the possibility to keep his job and turn around public opinion of his.  That said, my personal belief is his ego will get in the way of doing any of this.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So basically, you actually buy in to the notion that the process is working but we can't see it.

Wow 😖

Not 100%. Some moves pay off, some don’t. This team was capable of playing decent football, and executing plays through the first 3 weeks of the season. Including dominating a saints team that crushed the 1 seed in the playoffs.. There is a correlation between winning games and executing the plays that are called. This season can easily be described as a calamity of errors and being continuously out of sync. What I’m saying is it’s never as good as it seems and never as bad as it seems. Let’s see what the staff does with another year of front office continuity, a decent amount (27-28) million in cap space before some restructures, and free agency need addressing. Continue to build with players that believe in what the current message is, and see where it shakes out. I’m not a blind Matt Rhule homer, but I think when you initially invest for 7 years, discuss the process, and convince the owner/gm of your vision, you get more than 2 years. What I know is they all said the things that produce winning football. Continue to build the fronts, solidify the QB position with better support, coaching, change of player, and develop young talent. I still think that is happening, way more than with Rivera and co. So I will continue to hope that all facets of the staff are working to make players better, and improve the production on Sunday. Im just not going to tear it down and rebuild every 2 years. Sustained success takes time. I know Rhule brought Baylor and temple players in,.. not for patronage, but because they know the standard, and maybe just maybe would help make things competitive early, while also having players who believe the message.. did it work? Not really, but does it help people buy in? Maybe? But does it also help Joe Cum Gel Person write a hit-squad article with no identifiable source, and opinions around the league that he favors those players? Sure. I have faith that people inside with tons more experience and knowledge about football, will continue to do what they think is in the best interest of the Panthers and their players to develop sustained success. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

If we are clearing talking about X’s and O’s I would venture there are a number of fans that know more

I might not understand X's and O's better than an NFL coach.  But I do have enough common sense to realize that Brady Christensen and Deonte Brown should have played a lot at the end of this lost season.  Otherwise how can you evaluate them or the team's OL needs going forward.  Or that Jeremy Chinn probably should have been schemed more like he was his first year when Chinn was in the DROY discussion.  

You don't have to be Albert Einstein to figure these things out.  

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Actionman0z said:

Not 100%. Some moves pay off, some don’t. This team was capable of playing decent football, and executing plays through the first 3 weeks of the season. 

What a coincidence.  Those first three weeks the team also had All Pro running back CMC.  And as soon as he got injured, the offense could not do anything and the season tanked.  A record of 2-12 for the rest of the year.

If your team needs to be propped up by one All Pro player, you don't have a very good team.  And numerous other franchises have lost great players and still had successful seasons.  It just takes good coaching to be able to adjust.  Something Carolina did not have this year.  

• Pie 2

Trade for Watson assuming he has changed his mind and he is willing to come here. Christensen at LT and Moton at RT should be enough for Watson, and I can address the interior of the line later in the draft if needed.

Watson would have 4 good weapons to which to throw the ball, and the best RB in the NFL. That, along with our defense, means we would highly likely have a competitive team. At worst, we would still have a couple more wins than 2021. That's improvement.

The real problem is that the stadium has been mostly empty with opposing fans outnumbering our fans. That is what's going to get Rhule fired more than anything else. My Watson plan would bring fans back to the stadium because he's the kind of high caliber QB people will pay to watch play (myself included). I'm not paying to watch Sam play, I'm not crazy.

If Watson turns his nose up again at our poop franchise, then I'm going for a QB in the draft. Willis throws the ball with the highest velocity and has the strongest arm. That means if he can learn then he's the best prospect out of the lot. The worry is that he's a dope. That falls on the QB coach, OC ect to get him in line and reading the field properly. I pull the trigger on Willis and if he doesn't learn the offense then I fire more offense staff members and plead to Tepper that it takes time for a rookie to come around.

Edited by pantherj

3 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

What a coincidence.  Those first three weeks the team also had All Pro running back CMC.  And as soon as he got injured, the offense could not do anything and the season tanked.  A record of 2-12 for the rest of the year.

If your team needs to be propped up by one All Pro player, you don't have a very good team.  And numerous other franchises have lost great players and still had successful seasons.  It just takes good coaching to be able to adjust.  Something Carolina did not have this year.  

Roster superiority is probably about the only chance Rhule has at winning. As a game planner and caller, he's not likely to rise above the college level.

When your opponents are professionals, that's not gonna cut it.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think it was way more than that. But that was a serious factor. I think you can go back and evaluate every game, and you find several different reasons why the Panthers lost. 

Step 1 - take inventory.  What are the weaknesses and strengths?  You have already covered this. what is the mental condition in the locker room.  (How confident is the team with the Coach staff and other team members). I think fans forget looking from the outside is not the same thing as being on the inside.

step 2 - Planning.  What steps should we take.  Assuming the locker room is okay.  I thought the defense was a strong point.  I do think the offense needs work.  Is Jimmy G the answer?  I am convinced accuracy and delivery time are crucial to a QB.  (QB needs to deserve nickname “Federal Express).   Ask yourself,  how would Darnel perform with Sean Payton as coach.

step 3 - Action bring in the veteran QB.  Let the off season QB competition begin.  Veteran has experience but your Current QB has experience with the team.  Make sure the offensive line can give your QB time.  (Find linemen who believe road rage is fun).