• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on 2022 QB Class

BurnNChinn

The quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl showed as they were expected to. And that’s not great news. The group, compromised of all the top guys outside of Ole Miss’s Matt Corral, came in perceived to be an average lot. It left Mobile with a lot of NFL folks convinced of that. A couple of veteran NFL evaluators told me late in the week that they don’t believe there’s a single NFL starter in this year’s quarterback class. Not everyone was that harsh, but it was unanimous that these quarterbacks aren’t close to last year’s—and most agreed that all five of last year’s first-round signal-callers would’ve been the top guy at the position in the 2022 draft. Here’s a sampling of those takeaways.

• AFC exec: “You might have some people who’d take Malik [Willis] over Mac [Jones], just because of the physical stuff. But comparing them to Mac’s résumé, [Kenny] Pickett had nice stats, but he wasn’t Mac. So yes, I’d say all these guys are behind those five. … Pickett and [Desmond] Ridder look more ready to go. They’re playing a calmer brand of football. The ceiling’s not as high, but they’re more confident, they’ve played a lot, they’ve been on good teams, they’re pretty consistent players. Willis is a wild card. He could be something, but also could be nothing. That one would scare me. … Even the way he played this week, he holds the ball, runs around a lot, and it’s gonna take him a long time to get adjusted.”

• AFC college scouting director: “What’s your threshold for a starter? It’s kind of a broad term. I don’t think there’s an above average starter in the group. Maybe there are a couple of average starters. … If there’s two guys you can make an argument helped themselves it’s Ridder and Willis. Ridder almost by default, just by being consistent. I’m not saying he had a great week, but he comes out ahead by just looking steady. And he was very steady. The highs weren’t that high, but there was no Whoa, what was that?Willis has an absolute cannon; he can rip it. He doesn’t read the defense, but his arm even more live than on tape.”

• AFC exec No. 2: “It was an average showing all the way around. No one really stood out as a top-level guy. Malik showed the most athleticism and arm strength. You just question how ready he is, coming from the offenses [at Auburn and Liberty] he is.”

So, in summary, it does feel like the quarterbacks left Mobile with more questions than they came in with. For all the jokes about Pickett’s hand size, his are smaller than just about any NFL starter, scouts did feel like it was an issue in how the Pitt product threw it at a rainy outdoor practice Wednesday. North Carolina’s Sam Howell physically looked like a mid-round pick to the evaluators on hand. And that Western Kentucky’s Bailey Zappe was even at America’s premier college all-star game and draft showcase, per one scout, “tells you everything you need to know about the quarterback class.”

Like I’ve been saying there’s no way Pickett is the pick at 6. We are going to take LT there, or try to trade back and gain more picks.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4

Just now, Panthera onca said:

If we don't pick Neal, Cross, or Icky I will lose it. This QB group is awful.

Yep I think they would like to trade back a couple spots to get an extra pick but I don’t see anyone trading up. With all the qbs looking terrible at senior bowl, I think threw a wrench in that one.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

The quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl showed as they were expected to. And that’s not great news. The group, compromised of all the top guys outside of Ole Miss’s Matt Corral, came in perceived to be an average lot. It left Mobile with a lot of NFL folks convinced of that. A couple of veteran NFL evaluators told me late in the week that they don’t believe there’s a single NFL starter in this year’s quarterback class. Not everyone was that harsh, but it was unanimous that these quarterbacks aren’t close to last year’s—and most agreed that all five of last year’s first-round signal-callers would’ve been the top guy at the position in the 2022 draft. Here’s a sampling of those takeaways.

• AFC exec: “You might have some people who’d take Malik [Willis] over Mac [Jones], just because of the physical stuff. But comparing them to Mac’s résumé, [Kenny] Pickett had nice stats, but he wasn’t Mac. So yes, I’d say all these guys are behind those five. … Pickett and [Desmond] Ridder look more ready to go. They’re playing a calmer brand of football. The ceiling’s not as high, but they’re more confident, they’ve played a lot, they’ve been on good teams, they’re pretty consistent players. Willis is a wild card. He could be something, but also could be nothing. That one would scare me. … Even the way he played this week, he holds the ball, runs around a lot, and it’s gonna take him a long time to get adjusted.”

• AFC college scouting director: “What’s your threshold for a starter? It’s kind of a broad term. I don’t think there’s an above average starter in the group. Maybe there are a couple of average starters. … If there’s two guys you can make an argument helped themselves it’s Ridder and Willis. Ridder almost by default, just by being consistent. I’m not saying he had a great week, but he comes out ahead by just looking steady. And he was very steady. The highs weren’t that high, but there was no Whoa, what was that?Willis has an absolute cannon; he can rip it. He doesn’t read the defense, but his arm even more live than on tape.”

• AFC exec No. 2: “It was an average showing all the way around. No one really stood out as a top-level guy. Malik showed the most athleticism and arm strength. You just question how ready he is, coming from the offenses [at Auburn and Liberty] he is.”

So, in summary, it does feel like the quarterbacks left Mobile with more questions than they came in with. For all the jokes about Pickett’s hand size, his are smaller than just about any NFL starter, scouts did feel like it was an issue in how the Pitt product threw it at a rainy outdoor practice Wednesday. North Carolina’s Sam Howell physically looked like a mid-round pick to the evaluators on hand. And that Western Kentucky’s Bailey Zappe was even at America’s premier college all-star game and draft showcase, per one scout, “tells you everything you need to know about the quarterback class.”

Like I’ve been saying there’s no way Pickett is the pick at 6. We are going to take LT there, or try to trade back and gain more picks.

" A couple of veteran NFL evaluators told me late in the week that they don’t believe there’s a single NFL starter in this year’s quarterback class. Not everyone was that harsh, but it was unanimous that these quarterbacks aren’t close to last year’s—and most agreed that all five of last year’s first-round signal-callers would’ve been the top guy at the position in the 2022 draft."

So what is being said is what several of us have been ROUTINELY saying for a month now that this QB class stinks and that last year's QB class was quite good.  There it is, so not EVERY QB class sucks and you don't have to watch every moment of the Senior Bowl to see that their body of work speaks for itself--that these guys are who they are.  There are zero Day 1 starters and I have been saying that for weeks now.  If you want to draft a dude a #6, sit him, and hope he may turn into an average starter in 3-4 years, then that is absolutely mind numbing.  I realize having Howell come out this year is giving some guys here rose colored homer glasses, of which is artificially boosting their opinion of this entire QB draft class. Still others see Malik Willis and pine for the early Cam years.  Willis is no CAM Newton folks, so scrap those thoughts.  However, for those with zero emotional ties to any of the QBs see this class for what it is--NOT GOOD.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We've consistently made the dumbest possible QB decisions and consistently overvalued former Matt Rhule college recruits since Rhule was hired. Pickett at #6 is so on brand for Rhule's Panthers that it feels inevitable.

Same feeling.

Could be wrong. We'll see.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Are you still on the Howell train?

I've always been on the Howell train but I've always said I basically want him pretty much anywhere but here. We're a dumpster fire and I'd rather him go to a better more stable organization... which is pretty much anywhere but here and Houston to be honest.

• Pie 1