• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LaCanfora asks evaluators about Pickett...

Mr. Scot

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It does suck as a fan. I know we have the hey you aren’t a real GM so your suggestions suck, but from the 2019 draft till now, we’d be in better shape if the group think of the off-season/draft watcher huddlers had control. We’ve made that many egregious errors like not drafting the strengths of drafts and seemingly not having a plan. I mean you are picked 30/31 pre-season everywhere after losing Cam, Luke, Bradberry and others from a 5-11 season and you still forego comp picks and spend the entire cap just to go 5-11. Now we could potentially have our 4th attempt at a QB solution in 3 years while we ignored QB in what was talked about as a super deep QB draft (even Mills got love).

At least in the huddle, we actually had some foresight and plans.

In all seriousness, a committee of the top posters from the Huddle would have done so much better than the Panther GM's over the last 5 years.  Get a group together of 10 well respected posters on this board and come to consensus decisions on the team direction and draft / FA choices.  I'm sure it would have been a huge improvement over the chaotic mess that has occurred lately for Carolina.   Stupid decisions, horrible contracts, no long term plan, no foresight.  Just an embarrassment.

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Flames 2

36 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. The worst part is our strategy was way better than what happened. The Browns, who Hue accused of tanking, did it and at least got to the playoffs and had they chosen the correct QB, they might be in the SB.

Feel free to tell me what we got wrong, here was the plan:

1. Don’t sign FAs like Teddy and Weatherly, just maximize the comp picks  and cap space like the 3rd for Bradberry and a 5th for Irvin or whoever we lost for signing Weatherly. We also gave the Saints a comp 3rd for Teddy.

2. Release Short and save as much cap as possible. Heck, release Turner if you hate him that bad or trade for a pick not trade for another injured player and pay them premium money.

3. Get a rookie QB who will have 1 season under his belt while Brees and Brady retire and Ryan gets closer to 40.

4. Let Grier lead us to a great top 3 draft slot.

Oh, for shits and giggles don’t forget all the OL suggestions we had like do not draft Little, get an IOL like McCoy or Risner or Jenkins and keep your 3rd and pick another OL or Maxx Crosby who we had in for a private visit. Also, take a tackle in the deep 2020 class instead of Brown and instead of reaching for Little in 2019. Take Trey Smith over a long snapper or Humphrey or other OL over Marshall.

Also, don’t throw $30M at Robby before DJ is extended. The cap space saved above was for Moton, DJ, Burns and others we should have drafted.

That’s great and all, but the panthers still weren’t going to get the number 1 overall pick. To insist that they were is fantasy.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Did you per chance watch Will Grier when he started and how he made Kyle Allen look like Tom Brady?

That’s why I said top 3. No guarantees, but Grier easily gets us at least one more loss. That put us at top 3. Heck, even getting to 3rd gets us the haul from SF if we didn’t like Lance.

Okay, great, but you’re still not getting Trevor Lawrence with the second pick in he draft. Getting Trevor Lawrence was the goal of everyone here, just as getting #1 overall and “waiting for Bryce young” is now.

42 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I would literally take Derek Singley (CB LSU) or Kyle Hamilton (S Notre Dame) over Pickett.  They would be dumb choices considering our team needs but at least these guys have elite talent.  Pickett looks like, at best, a mediocre game-manager.  And, more likely, just a long term backup. 

Yeah I was personally thinking I would prefer Nakobe Dean if the bigtime OTs are gone over these QBs.  He is more worth the pick.  We could use a LB like him. 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Word has it he has a noodle arm. Accurate but can't throw the deep ball. True or untrue?

He has above average arm strength. Very quick release and it looks pretty effortless to throw (even with his baby hands)

Honestly, if he were a true junior coming out of the draft, he would be regarded MUCH higher as a prospect. His age gives some people pause since it took him until he was almost 24 to look like a legit QB. 

The question is - is he a slow learner or did he finally break through the barrier to unlock his true potential?

If you would have told me that he was a Junior, looking at his tape, I'd be ecstatic to draft him. His most recent season was a significant jump in production (much like Wilson had last year) but again, it took him until he was an old man among boys to get there. How will he look in the NFL with other grown men around him?

I found an article about him last season that talks about the traits he has and how he could be a potential high draft pick in 2022 if he continues to get better:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pitt-qb-kenny-pickett-serious-qb4-candidate-nfl-draft/

It's a copycat league and I wouldn't be surprised if rhule thinks we are getting the next Joe Burrow if we draft him.

That gives me absolutely zero confidence as a prospect though. 

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have a hard time imagining someone trading up into the top five for Kenny Pickett.

Is it out of the realm of possibility the Giants or Texans don’t take him? I know it’s such a reach for their spots as it is ours but there needs to be some hope somewhere.

36 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

If I were Tepper, I'd call Rhule into my office the day before the draft and ask who he was going to select.  If he said Pickett, I'd fire him on the spot.  

Why would Tepper not be cool with Rhule taking a Pitt guy like Pickett? It’s very much likely Tepper may even tell Rhule to get Pickett. Especially since Tepper will be as desperate for a potential franchise QB as Rhule is.