• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albright: Panthers circling on Pickett

electro's horse

2 minutes ago, ncstatekwi said:

I feel we are just going to RIDE with DARNOLD...free agency should tell us a lot!

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-quarterbacks

Who from the list gives you the warm and fuzzies?  On top of that I doubt any of them will come here on one year deals.  So lets roll with Darnold and at least he gives us a top 5 pick

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-quarterbacks

Who from the list gives you the warm and fuzzies?  On top of that I doubt any of them will come here on one year deals.  So lets roll with Darnold and at least he gives us a top 5 pick

Aside from the overall team sucking, why would anyone wanna take their chances with Rhule after how he handled Teddy and Cam? I think Andy Dalton is the only one who would sign but why even waste the money

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Aside from the overall team sucking, why would anyone wanna take their chances with Rhule after how he handled Teddy and Cam? I think Andy Dalton is the only one who would sign but why even waste the money

thats another good point

Just take the hit in 2022 and get your qb next draft.  It appears to be absolutely loaded with qb top end talent

14 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

thats another good point

Just take the hit in 2022 and get your qb next draft.  It appears to be absolutely loaded with qb top end talent

Next years class will be picked apart the same as any other draft. We've already taken the "hit" the last two seasons. We squandered those opportunities with an all defense draft and a first round corner while the league has clearly titled in favor of prolific offenses and we now have one of the worst. It would be foolish to begin making plans with an unknown pick in 2023. With the shape of our division there are no guarantees we finish with a top 10 pick. Even as bad as Rhule has been there is still talent here and our division is undergoing big changes. Anyone who actually thinks we are going to actively tank is in for a rude awakening.

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

Next years class will be picked apart the same as any other draft. We've already taken the "hit" the last two seasons. We squandered those opportunities with an all defense draft and a first round corner while the league has clearly titled in favor of prolific offenses and we now have one of the worst. It would be foolish to begin making plans with an unknown pick in 2023. With the shape of our division there are no guarantees we finish with a top 10 pick. Even as bad as Rhule has been there is still talent here and our division is undergoing big changes. Anyone who actually thinks we are going to actively tank is in for a rude awakening.

It may be picked apart but there are way more prospects in 2023 then the poo show of this QB class.

Young, Stround, Van Dyke, Rogers, Jurkovec, Haener, mccall, Hooker, Slovis

Not all are going to be top qbs but there is just more volume to choose from in 2023.  Personally Stroud, VD and Jurkovec are intriguing but McCall may skyrocket up boards due to his pin point accuracy and various arm angle throws.  poo I probably would gamble with McCall this year at 6 rather then the scrubs in this draft

Granted his arm isnt a howitzer but holy hell some of those throws are mahomesesque

Edited by mrcompletely11

Corral interests me the most at this point.  I've said it before, he could be a more-gutsy version of what people thought Mariotta was (Who I see starting again next year on a QB starved market)

Pickett has some great qualities but I am legit concerned about hand size.  He's beyond the fringe zone where you can make up for it elsewhere and it's just straight up a physical limitation.  It's not comparable to Burrow, he's got the 2nd smallest in recorded history for QBs.  That's why I find it weird analysts are shrugging it off; we're talking all time undersized for something many coaches have deemed important throughout modern NFL history.

8 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

He's great if you just want to attack the middle and right side of the field. Too bad this isn't college defense anymore. Whipple took 3 seasons to figure out how to scheme around Pickett's deficiencies. If Whipple were a head coach in the NFL, he wouldn't take Pickett.

Yep, pretty much.

I would feel better about him if he could show an ability to climb the pocket and make throws standing tall. Right now, besides his arm strength, that's really the most glaring problem he has. He can throw great on the run, but he gets jumpy and abandons the pocket too early.

4 minutes ago, davos said:

Corral interests me the most at this point.  I've said it before, he could be a more-gutsy version of what people thought Mariotta was (Who I see starting again next year on a QB starved market)

Pickett has some great qualities but I am legit concerned about hand size.  He's beyond the fringe zone where you can make up for it elsewhere and it's just straight up a physical limitation.  It's not comparable to Burrow, he's got the 2nd smallest in recorded history for QBs.  That's why I find it weird analysts are shrugging it off; we're talking all time undersized for something many coaches have deemed important throughout modern NFL history.

Yeah, Corral has some great traits. I want to see Willis, Howell, and Corral at the combine. If they can show they can sling it (which all three should).

2 minutes ago, davos said:

If Rhule takes Pickett and his zero percentile hand size while passing on a legitimate LT like Slater due to arm length I don't know what to say. QB hand size is more important than arm length for a T. I thought he was supposed to be all about analytics.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

If Rhule takes Pickett and his zero percentile hand size while passing on a legitimate LT like Slater due to arm length I don't know what to say. QB hand size is more important than arm length for a T. I thought he was supposed to be all about analytics.

I would be much warmer to the idea for Pickett if he was just generally undersized like Burrow (which isn't really "undersized" IMO).  The rule of thumb (pun not intended) among NFL coaches was always minimum 9.5".  We're talking an entire standard nail smaller.  Burrow was .5" under, not an issue. 

We could be going from the ONLY active starting QB that wears 2 gloves (Teddy) to the worst starting QB in the league (Darnold) to a 24-year-old rookie who wears two gloves (Pickett)

They really know how to pick 'em.  End this clownshow