• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason finally here. Let's get down to business.

Zod

Draft, and draft the OL often.  I see SI has mocked us taking Neal at #6, which I would be fine with. 

I'd also be fine trading down to the 9-13 range (the Ravens draft at 14 and reportedly looking heavily at OTs) if we can add a second round pick (which looks about right on the draft value chart).

Yes, I know we need a QB.  Yes, I realize it sounds like they love Pickett.  I don't have nearly as high of an opinion as we hear they do.  I'd take OL in rounds 1 and 2 if we trade down, but would consider a QB in round 2.  But until we have an OL that prevents the opposing rusher to simply spring to out QB, it is a losing proposition.

Here are our problems.  We have one OL that we are sure of.  We have two we drafted last year that may or may not be part of the future, either as starters or reliable as depth.  We failed at learning much about them in their first year, despite having the opportunity to do so.  That means we need between 2 and 4 starting OL, and we don't know what that number is. 

Trying to build an OL in one year is a fool's game.  If we somehow drafted 4 starters this year and they stick, they all time out of their rookie deals at the same time.  Now add that the odds of achieving that in one draft are also minimal.  I'm open to drafting 1 FA, but they need to be under 30 and not somebody's cast off.  We have not proven good at that, and if we are going the FA route, I don't want Rhule being the guy trying to identify who the FA is.  I don't want versatility nearly as much as I want quality at a position.I  No point in taking anybody at 30 or over because they are not going to push us over the threshold in 2022, so they need some longevity.  We have too many needs/unanswered questions all over the roster to get carried away (which I think we did this past offseason).

As for the QB, our depth chart is basically bare.  I don't know any more about Darnold than I knew last year, due to the injury and our poor OL.  But, after 4 years in the league being cannon fodder, I am not optimistic.  That is a lot of baggage to overcome.  Drafting a QB in round 2 or later (if we trade down) may put somebody on the depth chart, either above or below Darnold....or not.  But at this point, if my fears about Darnold are correct, he is a backup which is probably not realistic after 2022.

The long and short of this is because of our own incompetence in evaluating young players and our 2021 crop all appearing to regress (which is likely also our own incompetence, not theirs), my expectations for 2022 are what they were for 2021.  I have no illusions we are a solid playoff team next year.  If we don't show further incompetence (BIG if), hopefully we take the next step in 2023.....under Rhule or somebody else.  Most likely it is somebody else, but if he corrects past sins, so be it.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't help feeling that if we address the line via free agency, our top draft pick is gonna be a quarterback out of Pittsburgh.

(and I do believe we're going to try and go that route)

TBH, I think Rhule is on very thin ice. I don’t think anyone knows the amount of control he has with player personnel, but he is definitely on a short leash. 

He’s pretty much stuck with Sam as the starter because of the capital invested. I think Tepper knows that drafting a QB at 6, sets you back 2 more years.

This draft is really deep at OL, for once, I’d like to see us trade back, acquire some picks and build an OL.

2 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Just as it has speculated that Rhule was told to get some real NFL coaches I have to hope that he is not going to have full control of the roster.  That is a big wish I know.  Has Tepper seen the light and decided that hos NFL people need to be making the big decisions?  Just trying to find a way to have some hope.

Yeah, high turnover rate on the coaching staff, definitely shows that Rhule is under the heat.

It really makes me wonder if he thinks this roster is a QB away. If that’s the case, we’re definitely in a world of sh1t…I Have No Idea GIF by NBC

It's not rocket science.  Trade back in the first round to pick-up a second.  Now draft best OL available at both spots.  Three, possibly four OL starter positions are up for grabs; sort it out among the two OL draft picks, BC, Elf and Brown in training camp.  With Campen on board, we may finally have someone capable of coaching these young guys up.

Oh, and quit throwing money at FAs with injury histories.  Our K-Mart Blue Light Special deals have been badly wasted money, time and roster spots.  

2 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

It's not rocket science.  Trade back in the first round to pick-up a second.  Now draft best OL available at both spots.  Three, possibly four OL starter positions are up for grabs; sort it out among the two OL draft picks, BC, Elf and Brown in training camp.  With Campen on board, we may finally have someone capable of coaching these young guys up.

Oh, and quit throwing money at FAs with injury histories.  Our K-Mart Blue Light Special deals have been badly wasted money, time and roster spots.  

We are going to trade out of the 6th spot and only get a 2nd?

Eagles signed Jordan Mailata to a contract extension and they have Lane Johnson. I would call about Andre Dillard who played well last year when Mailata was injured. In 340 pass protection snaps he gave up only one sack. Might be a target if the price is right 

Edited by TheProcess

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are going to trade out of the 6th spot and only get a 2nd?

unless you know where you are trading back to its a bit ridiculous to complain about compensation.

2022 NFL Trade Value Chart (drafttek.com)

unless it's some crazy move for a QB more times than not the trade value chart will get in you in the ballpark

Edited by AU-panther
spelling

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

unless you know where you are trading back to its a bit ridiculous to complain about compensation.

2022 NFL Trade Value Chart (drafttek.com)

unless it's some crazy move for a QB more times than not the trade value chart will get in you in the ballpark

So its not just as easy as saying "We have to trade back".   We were looking for offers last year and nobody came with any value.  I think the same thing happens this draft.   A team must really really want to move up to make a fair offer and even then it may not be worth it

30 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Draft, and draft the OL often.  I see SI has mocked us taking Neal at #6, which I would be fine with. 

I'd also be fine trading down to the 9-13 range (the Ravens draft at 14 and reportedly looking heavily at OTs) if we can add a second round pick (which looks about right on the draft value chart).

Yes, I know we need a QB.  Yes, I realize it sounds like they love Pickett.  I don't have nearly as high of an opinion as we hear they do.  I'd take OL in rounds 1 and 2 if we trade down, but would consider a QB in round 2.  But until we have an OL that prevents the opposing rusher to simply spring to out QB, it is a losing proposition.

Here are our problems.  We have one OL that we are sure of.  We have two we drafted last year that may or may not be part of the future, either as starters or reliable as depth.  We failed at learning much about them in their first year, despite having the opportunity to do so.  That means we need between 2 and 4 starting OL, and we don't know what that number is. 

Trying to build an OL in one year is a fool's game.  If we somehow drafted 4 starters this year and they stick, they all time out of their rookie deals at the same time.  Now add that the odds of achieving that in one draft are also minimal.  I'm open to drafting 1 FA, but they need to be under 30 and not somebody's cast off.  We have not proven good at that, and if we are going the FA route, I don't want Rhule being the guy trying to identify who the FA is.  I don't want versatility nearly as much as I want quality at a position.I  No point in taking anybody at 30 or over because they are not going to push us over the threshold in 2022, so they need some longevity.  We have too many needs/unanswered questions all over the roster to get carried away (which I think we did this past offseason).

As for the QB, our depth chart is basically bare.  I don't know any more about Darnold than I knew last year, due to the injury and our poor OL.  But, after 4 years in the league being cannon fodder, I am not optimistic.  That is a lot of baggage to overcome.  Drafting a QB in round 2 or later (if we trade down) may put somebody on the depth chart, either above or below Darnold....or not.  But at this point, if my fears about Darnold are correct, he is a backup which is probably not realistic after 2022.

The long and short of this is because of our own incompetence in evaluating young players and our 2021 crop all appearing to regress (which is likely also our own incompetence, not theirs), my expectations for 2022 are what they were for 2021.  I have no illusions we are a solid playoff team next year.  If we don't show further incompetence (BIG if), hopefully we take the next step in 2023.....under Rhule or somebody else.  Most likely it is somebody else, but if he corrects past sins, so be it.

Amen!!!

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So its not just as easy as saying "We have to trade back".   We were looking for offers last year and nobody came with any value.  I think the same thing happens this draft.   A team must really really want to move up to make a fair offer and even then it may not be worth it

This^

This another Madden. 

Two FA targets I'd like:

Bradley Bozeman C/G: Solid starter, won't be the cream of the market but would be our instant starter for years to come and help open up options on the line come the draft.  I like FAs from the AFCN.  ~$8-10 mil/yr

Anthony Walker Jr. LB: We need a complimentary linebacker that can work with Shaq.  I think Walker is a great fit.  I'd imagine he's ~$6-8 mil/yr

The rest would need to be the standard style FA pickups we make because we are what we are. It is what it is.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree, alot of times moving back is harder than people think.  Honestly, I think this year's draft will have more teams looking to move back than normal.  Its not a top-heavy class but overall, there is some depth in the first round, that along with a weak QB class I think we see a lot of teams trying to move down.

In regard to fair offer, depending on how far we move down a 2nd can easily be fair.

Going from 6 to 10 would get you a later 2nd.