• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we draft a QB, I want Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

42 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

All that and still better than picking Pickett.

They all have negatives if you sit there and pick. 

The stats and the game tape don't lie. Scouts can knitpick anybody and find what they think is a deficiency but they can't take away those games, yards, tds. Those are real and not imagined.

I agree, but people (including scouts) still cherry pick things within the stats and the game tape, and honestly there are some valid complaints and concerns regarding all QB draft prospects notwithstanding yardage and TDs. Even more, you can't afford to look at things--including stats--in a vacuum. Context matters! The eye test, considering offensive philosophies and schemes ran, the ability to discern translatable traits, taking into account the level of competition, factoring in size, durability and injury history, etc. are all things that you must be able to draw conclusions from in order to get clarity. That's real too, ripp.

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

All that and still better than picking Pickett.

They all have negatives if you sit there and pick. 

The stats and the game tape don't lie. Scouts can knitpick anybody and find what they think is a deficiency but they can't take away those games, yards, tds. Those are real and not imagined.

Stats lie all the time

Not a fan of Strong because it’s tough to tell if he’s a system QB or he can actually read a defense. Nevada’s offense was tailored for Strong with a lot of quick reads and screen passes minimizing his lack of mobility.

In the NFL that isn’t going to work. And for all the talk about his arm, he doesn’t even have the best arm in the class… that award goes to Malik Willis.

If you are taking a QB at six you probably go Corral. If you are taking one in the middle of the first you probably go Howell. If you are in a position to draft for the future you take Willis whenever you feel comfortable.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

15 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not a fan of Strong because it’s tough to tell if he’s a system QB or he can actually read a defense. Nevada’s offense was tailored for Strong with a lot of quick reads and screen passes minimizing his lack of mobility.

In the NFL that isn’t going to work. And for all the talk about his arm, he doesn’t even have the best arm in the class… that award goes to Malik Willis.

If you are taking a QB at six you probably go Corral. If you are taking one in the middle of the first you probably go Howell. If you are in a position to draft for the future you take Willis whenever you feel comfortable.

Strong's arm may be just as strong as any arm in the class. If Willis has a stronger arm, it's only by a very few yards.

Not trying to be funny, but: 

strong arm ≠ best arm (pun not intended...at least in the beginning 😂).

I've seen Corral pass for 60-65 yards on one throw. So honestly people are kinda splitting hairs with these guys. There's plenty of arm to choose from depending on who you pick.

32 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Strong's arm may be just as strong as any arm in the class. If Willis has a stronger arm, it's only by a very few yards.

Not trying to be funny, but: 

strong arm ≠ best arm (pun not intended...at least in the beginning 😂).

I've seen Corral pass for 60-65 yards on one throw. So honestly people are kinda splitting hairs with these guys. There's plenty of arm to choose from depending on who you pick.

The pundits at the senior bowl certainly seemed the indicate that Willis has the best arm in the class.

He’s not as accurate as the rest of the field on the intermediate throws but his deep ball is a thing of beauty.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but people (including scouts) still cherry pick things within the stats and the game tape, and honestly there are some valid complaints and concerns regarding all QB draft prospects notwithstanding yardage and TDs. Even more, you can't afford to look at things--including stats--in a vacuum. Context matters! The eye test, considering offensive philosophies and schemes ran, the ability to discern translatable traits, taking into account the level of competition, factoring in size, durability and injury history, etc. are all things that you must be able to draw conclusions from in order to get clarity. That's real too, ripp.

Yup, I totally agree. I've looked at all these guys. This one is my favorite by far.

The Op provided some very good commentary and analysis of Carson Strong by way of those vids. I've watched those and then some. His tape is outstanding. We all have our favorites.

The same criteria I used to become a Justin Herbert Bandwagon Member the year they took D.Brown is the same as today same with Kyle Trask last year. 

I look at what guys have achieved on the field, how long, stats, system, measurables, this is my crush this year and I'm sticking with Strong. We'd be much better off with this kid than anything we've got.

11 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Yup, I totally agree. I've looked at all these guys. This one is my favorite by far.

The Op provided some very good commentary and analysis of Carson Strong by way of those vids. I've watched those and then some. His tape is outstanding. We all have our favorites.

The same criteria I used to become a Justin Herbert Bandwagon Member the year they took D.Brown is the same as today same with Kyle Trask last year. 

I look at what guys have achieved on the field, how long, stats, system, measurables, this is my crush this year and I'm sticking with Strong. We'd be much better off with this kid than anything we've got.

Why are the bucs looking for a new qb since they have Trask on the roster?

• Pie 2

“San Jose State was Carson Strong’s most difficult game of the year, both statistically and from a toughness standpoint. The Nevada quarterback was sacked three times in that game as he completed 36-of-54 passing attempts for 314 passing yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.”

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

“San Jose State was Carson Strong’s most difficult game of the year, both statistically and from a toughness standpoint. The Nevada quarterback was sacked three times in that game as he completed 36-of-54 passing attempts for 314 passing yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.”

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

I get it, but the counter is Strong had Nevada OL and Nevada weapons all season to work with. If he was playing with top talent like Alabama or UGA, this stat line would be more embarrassing. It’s what holds back Willis also. Willis’s OL couldn’t block bottom tier schools and people wonder why he looked bad against Ole Miss… 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I get it, but the counter is Strong had Nevada OL and Nevada weapons all season to work with. If he was playing with top talent like Alabama or UGA, this stat line would be more embarrassing. It’s what holds back Willis also. Willis’s OL couldn’t block bottom tier schools and people wonder why he looked bad against Ole Miss… 

I've got to disagree here.  I see this argument a lot, and I really don't understand it.

If this was true, then we would see more players do well at the pro level than college, because they have better teammates.  The best high school players stand out and get recruited by the best colleges.  The best college players stand out and get drafted the highest.  Good players on bad pro teams stand out too.

It's mind boggling to me that people think a player is held back by playing at a lower level of play.  If this were true, nobody would ever get out of minor league baseball or the NBA's G League.  It is more and more difficult to exceed at each level of a competitive sport.

Could Carson Strong be a better pro than he was a college QB?  Absolutely.  Will it be because he has better teammates in the pros?   I really doubt that.

11 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I've got to disagree here.  I see this argument a lot, and I really don't understand it.

If this was true, then we would see more players do well at the pro level than college, because they have better teammates.  The best high school players stand out and get recruited by the best colleges.  The best college players stand out and get drafted the highest.  Good players on bad pro teams stand out too.

It's mind boggling to me that people think a player is held back by playing at a lower level of play.  If this were true, nobody would ever get out of minor league baseball or the NBA's G League.  It is more and more difficult to exceed at each level of a competitive sport.

Could Carson Strong be a better pro than he was a college QB?  Absolutely.  Will it be because he has better teammates in the pros?   I really doubt that.

I mean there have been plenty of QBs in college elevated by the talent around them. It was one of the reasons teams were skeptical of Alabama QBs, the ones before Tua like McLeroy and McCarron didn’t do much in the pros when the talent level was evened out. Willis and Strong still flashed as players and put up solid numbers on lower tier teams (it’s why they are being considered 1st/2nd rounders playing for Liberty and Nevada). However it’s still a team sport, it’s why Mac Jones looked a lot better his rookie year than Trevor Lawrence.

If you surround a player like Willis or Strong with Alabama’s line/weapons do you really not think they will have better years/stats? Willis playing QB for Alabama would have rolled over Ole Miss and Bryce Young with Liberty’s OL and weapons would have struggled.  

My point was writing off a talented player with lesser talent around him because he got sacked or threw picks against stronger competition doesn’t make much sense. If players are missing blocks and WRs aren’t open what else can a QB do?

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Willis began his career at Auburn and couldn’t become the starter. The competition on the defensive side is the offensive equivalent.

• Pie 1