• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney 2.0 wasn't a bad GM!!!!!

Zod

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He's letting the football guys make football decisions. Except the guy making the most calls also happens to have virtually no NFL experience and is probably going to make Bill O'Brian look like a competent coach/GM. 

He hired an NFL neophyte and quickly gave him full control because he was so sold on "the process". Now he can't deal with the reality that he was wildly wrong so he's going to let the NFL neophyte completely wreck the organization as he tries to learn on the fly while growing increasingly desperate. It's not hard to envision how this whole thing likely plays out and it's not a pretty picture.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 6

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He hired an NFL neophyte and quickly gave him full control because he was so sold on "the process". Now he can't deal with the reality that he was wildly wrong so he's going to let the NFL neophyte completely wreck the organization as he tries to learn on the fly while growing increasingly desperate. It's not hard to envision how this whole thing likely plays out and it's not a pretty picture.

AggressiveGlisteningAlbertosaurus-small.gif

• Flames 1

I may be looking at this incorrectly but this graph appears to be looking at players drafted since 2019.  I’m all for piling on Hurney and his inability to draft, but I think this represents only one hurney draft.  

That said, the Graph colors and the opportunity to berate someone are both refreshing and entertaining.  Please carry on.

15 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I may be looking at this incorrectly but this graph appears to be looking at players drafted since 2019.  I’m all for piling on Hurney and his inability to draft, but I think this represents only one hurney draft.  

That said, the Graph colors and the opportunity to berate someone are both refreshing and entertaining.  Please carry on.

Hurney "2.0" only encompassed three drafts: 2018, 2019 and 2020.

And no, the 2018 didn't have enough value to redeem the others.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Let the Hurney hate continue, and keep telling me how his protégé Beane should never replace him as GM because Gettlemagic is better. Hurney will never be a GM that can build a dynasty, but he knew how to build a team and spot key talent to contend for a championship.

Beane wasn't Marty's "protege". He was still working in operations and logistics in 2012 when Marty was fired.

It wasn't until 2015 that he was promoted to assistant GM by Dave Gettleman. Two years later, he got the Bills job.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I'm pretty sure I remember a poster doing a thread named Hurney 2.0 a LONG time ago and many here came out of the woodwork to back up our GM at the time....pretty sure I remember that.

Anyone who knows anything about football knew that Hurney was an awful GM.  Some here loudly spouted "Have you never heard of on the job training" or "have you never learned from previous mistakes" to anyone who knew what was going to happen.

The moment that Hurney was brought back into the building I knew we were headed straight to the bottom...it was just plain simple to see.

Then Tepper came...Oh boy, we can finally rid ourselves of this anchor of a GM....Finally!!

Then Hurney and Ron were retained...the smart amongst us once again knew where the franchise would be heading.

Then Ron was fired....so everyone KNEW that Hurney would finally be shown the door again...the die hards got excited again...maybe Tepper smartened up, maybe he got good advice.....

Then we retain Hurney....AGAIN.  Oh My God, Tepper has absolutely no clue what he's doing....this will be a disaster....

Then we hire Rhule.

Honestly, the fans never had a chance, the team never had a chance.  Every single turn we have made horrible mistake after horrible mistake.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I'm pretty sure I remember a poster doing a thread named Hurney 2.0 a LONG time ago and many here came out of the woodwork to back up our GM at the time....pretty sure I remember that.

Anyone who knows anything about football knew that Hurney was an awful GM.  Some here loudly spouted "Have you never heard of on the job training" or "have you never learned from previous mistakes" to anyone who knew what was going to happen.

The moment that Hurney was brought back into the building I knew we were headed straight to the bottom...it was just plain simple to see.

Then Tepper came...Oh boy, we can finally rid ourselves of this anchor of a GM....Finally!!

Then Hurney and Ron were retained...the smart amongst us once again knew where the franchise would be heading.

Then Ron was fired....so everyone KNEW that Hurney would finally be shown the door again...the die hards got excited again...maybe Tepper smartened up, maybe he got good advice.....

Then we retain Hurney....AGAIN.  Oh My God, Tepper has absolutely no clue what he's doing....this will be a disaster....

Then we hire Rhule.

Honestly, the fans never had a chance, the team never had a chance.  Every single turn we have made horrible mistake after horrible mistake.

The really really sad part is that the members of the Huddle have been right more than our NFL guys. 

• Beer 3

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Beane wasn't Marty's "protege". He was still working in operations and logistics in 2012 when Marty was fired.

It wasn't until 2015 that he was promoted to assistant GM by Dave Gettleman. Two years later, he got the Bills job.

"Marty was there that year, and he hired me full time in ’99. I was a sponge to him and I never wanted to let him down, and the more I was around him, I just grew. Every year he gave me more rope, and more things to do. He taught me the cap. We did CBA stuff. He let me do behind-the-scenes scouting, watching tape, whether it was college or pro or free agents and just be another sounding board with him along the way. I wouldn’t be here without him." - Brandon Beane

Hurney wanted Beane to replace him. Beane would disagree with you.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Unfortunately, he already is a much worse owner.

He's not as bad of a human, but he's a worse owner.

Yeah, when he got here everyone was excited because we thought we would have something new and Tepper would do whatever he could to get us a SB. Instead, he's been completely awful since he's gotten here. It's bad man. So bad. 

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All those clowns that used to argue if it was Hurney or Gettleman... the answer was yes. Same here. Is it Rhule or Tepper? Yes.

Gettledouche was an unmitigated disaster in NY and had his share of issues here, but at the end of the day him paired with Rivera was our best stretch in franchise history. 5 years together, 4 playoff seasons, 3 of those seasons resulting in at least a divisional round appearance and one SB appearance along with a 15 win season. Yes of course I know Cam was in his prime during those years, but still that is a very successful stretch run and it's clear as day to me that even if Rhule had Cam in his prime right now we wouldn't be as good as we were in that stretch.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

"Marty was there that year, and he hired me full time in ’99. I was a sponge to him and I never wanted to let him down, and the more I was around him, I just grew. Every year he gave me more rope, and more things to do. He taught me the cap. We did CBA stuff. He let me do behind-the-scenes scouting, watching tape, whether it was college or pro or free agents and just be another sounding board with him along the way. I wouldn’t be here without him." - Brandon Beane

Hurney wanted Beane to replace him. Beane would disagree with you.

Funny that, If that's what Marty had in mind, he never put Beane in a personnel role.

Guess who did.

Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman and his assistant Brandon Beane spent more time together over the past four years than with anyone other than their wives.

And maybe not them, either.

Gettleman would watch video with Beane long past bankers’ hours, evaluate prospects with him and sit next to him in the press box on Sundays, grooming Beane to someday become an NFL general manager.

Beane’s training camp internship in the public relations department led to a full-time position in football operations, where Beane’s duties included picking players up at the airport, setting up travel arrangements and anything asked of him.

Former GM Marty Hurney promoted Beane to football operations director in 2008. Four years later, Beane took over as interim GM for the final 10 games after Hurney resigned.

Beane had experience managing the salary cap, but hadn’t done a ton of scouting early in his career. But he started going on the road to scout college games when he was interim GM, a practice he continued after Gettleman was hired (Beane was the only in-house candidate to interview).

Beane further honed his scouting chops under Gettleman, whose affinity for film-study is as well known as his love of minivans and bagels.

Gettleman and Beane would watch video of every play from every Panthers game, as well as most of the plays of free agents Carolina was considering. Gettleman says Beane was an eager film critic.

“I spent a lot of time with him watching film and teaching and doing those kind of things. And Brandon’s a sponge. He really listens. He’s very diligent. He works at it,” Gettleman said during a phone interview. “The only way you’re going to improve your evaluation skills is just grind tape. ... It was his willingness to listen and learn that really accelerated his progress in terms of becoming a general manager.”

Beane was promoted to assistant GM in 2015, and his name started popping up in discussions of up-and-coming front office executives.

Joe Person: Late nights with Dave Gettleman prepared Brandon Beane for Buffalo GM job

See, Marty never could have passed down film watching and evaluation skills to Beane or anybody else because he didn't have them. Marty was never a scout. But like many under Jerry Richardson, he got promoted to a job he didn't deserve because he was loyal.

So unless you believe it's possible to teach somebody something you don't know how to do yourself, well...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1