• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers scouts high on Malik Willis

Zod

With this regime, it doesn't seem to be the guys they talk about that we should be concerned over.  "I'm looking forward to working with and coaching Cam", etc.

Stories and leaks like this seem to be routine.  And frankly, they should be with a good staff - not that this staff will ever be accused of such.  But, a good staff should tailor the "leaks" to throw off their competition.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

SO we pass on fields and go after Liberty's starting QB.  Seriously, I get it.  Willis has a lot of tools, just not sure he will adjust to the NFL as we all hope.  Fools gold?

Let me preface this with I have no clue if he will be good. Josh Allen played for Wyoming. Willis was at Auburn before transferring to Liberty. The Rams have backup named Bryce Perkins who transferred from Arizona State to UVa and lit it up. The Rams love him as a developmental QB. Burrow couldn't start at Ohio State and went to LSU and won the Heisman.

All that said, I hope we take an OT at 6. The point is, you just don't know. They say Willis is smart but 'normal' intelligence doesn't seem like that big of an issue (Ryan Fitzpatrick). I'm not sure how you figure out the part of them being able to process at the NFL speed or their 'want to' but just because he went to Liberty doesn't really matter in the long run. One benefit of drafting Willis may be that he is not ready and Rhule gets fire because we had to roll with Sam. 

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

SO we pass on fields and go after Liberty's starting QB.  Seriously, I get it.  Willis has a lot of tools, just not sure he will adjust to the NFL as we all hope.  Fools gold?

Willis’ arm is night and day stronger than Fields. He’s also a better athlete. He’s a bit short but he’s built nicely. 

• Beer 2

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It would definitely feel like passing on Fields just to draft a poor man's Fields

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It would definitely feel like passing on Fields just to draft a poor man's Fields

He's not a "poor man's Fields." Much higher ceiling. I think Fields can be a solid starter, but I don't think he's ever a real difference maker. 

I was really against drafting Willis, but I am starting to come around to it. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The physical talent is great. He's got to learn how to make the "easy play" sometimes, but I think you have to swing for the fences if you're drafting a QB. I'd rather take a chance on being able to coach a guy to take the "easy play" rather than trying to squeeze more out of a guy than his physical talent allows.