• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more Watson threads. Use this one or one of the other 20 existing ones.

rayzor

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Correct, one QB with a competent staff and solid supporting cast around him.  Watson would have neither here.  You are seemingly willing to wait for the Panthers to build around Watson, so why not wait for us to draft a guy next year?  My only rationale is you feel that Watson has this well of untapped potential or either a die-hard Clemson fan.

I've stated my case against the Watson trade and my points are numerous.  Your point is the belief he will turn this organization around...seemingly almost by his presence alone.

Because rookie QBs are total wildcards, and you basically never have a proven franchise QB hit the market in the middle of his prime. Even IF Carolina is in a position to draft a guy they really like in 2023, which is no certainty, then they have to hope he develops or they're right back at square one three years later. This is the same spin cycle that has cursed numerous franchises for years: see Dolphins, Jets, Bills (prior to Allen), Broncos (prior to PM), Browns, etc. 

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You are seemingly willing to wait for the Panthers to build around Watson, so why not wait for us to draft a guy next year?

It's simply a known versus unknown. With Watson you know exactly what you're getting. With a rook, you're buying a black box and hoping it's got the keys you a brand new car inside. It might have a stick if chewing gum.

You know Watson is absolutely a top tier quarterback. You have no idea if the drafted guy will be a bust, be a JAG, be a replacement level (Jimmy G, Cousins) or be a top tier guy.

Edited by trueblade
Changed buying to getting
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I agree but where is Watson under contract for 10 years?  Don't you think the Houston Texans thought they were going to have their QB for the next 10+ years when they drafted Watson?

That's the only thing for me.  What if things sour with our front office/management after 3-5 years?

How many franchise QBs have not signed extensions in their prime, Watson included, actually? It's not a particularly large risk that you will lose a franchise QB in his prime. They never hit the open FA market. If you can provide legitimate counter-examples, I'd be happy to consider them. But you can't because there aren't any. 

1 minute ago, Julio said:

Davis Mills, 67th pick out of Stanford

So a rookie with a rookie with a horrible offensive line... still did better than TMJ on our roster. The bottom line is that TMJ isnt see as a valuable piece in a trade, he wont be in the deal unless there is 5-6 players invovled. Id move on from this concept.

Just now, trueblade said:

It's simply a known versus unknown. With Watson you know exactly what you're buying. With a rook, you're buying a black box and hoping it's got the keys you a brand new car inside. It might have a stick if chewing gum.

You know Watson is absolutely a top tier quarterback. You have no idea if the drafted guy will be a bust, be a JAG, be a replacement level (Jimmy G, Cousins) or be a top tier guy.

How do you build around Watson?

Just now, TheCasillas said:

So a rookie with a rookie with a horrible offensive line... still did better than TMJ on our roster. The bottom line is that TMJ isnt see as a valuable piece in a trade, he wont be in the deal unless there is 5-6 players invovled. Id move on from this concept.

Source? 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Hold up.  Signing teddy made sense to you at the time?  Sweet christ kid log off for the night.  

Put aside being an overly-emotional fan for a second and understand that Carolina was never going to go into 2020 with Kyle Allen or some similar scrub as its starting QB. Signing a guy who'd proven to be a capable backup QB who could come in and competently start, had first round pedigree, and was still reasonably young made plenty of sense. There was plenty of objective praise for that move at that time, because it was a solid move. It didn't work out. You move on. Not as though his contract crippled the franchise or anything. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

How many franchise QBs have not signed extensions in their prime, Watson included, actually? It's not a particularly large risk that you will lose a franchise QB in his prime. They never hit the open FA market. If you can provide legitimate counter-examples, I'd be happy to consider them. But you can't because there aren't any. 

I'm just pointing out the risk that a guy who is unhappy and forcing a trade becomes unhappy and forces another trade in the future.  I don't think its that far fetched.

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Hold up.  Signing teddy made sense to you at the time?  Sweet christ kid log off for the night.  

Bridgewater made sense if they had drafted a QB in 2020 or kept Bridgewater and drafted Fields in 2021. Management had the right general idea and f*cked it up hardcore. Should have just kept Cam

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How do you build around Watson?

Are you sure you meant to quote me? You're quoting my response to the question "You are seemingly willing to wait for the Panthers to build around Watson, so why not wait for us to draft a guy next year?"

Your question doesn't seem relevant to my answer.

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

Put aside being an overly-emotional fan for a second and understand that Carolina was never going to go into 2020 with Kyle Allen or some similar scrub as its starting QB. Signing a guy who'd proven to be a capable backup QB who could come in and competently start, had first round pedigree, and was still reasonably young made plenty of sense. There was plenty of objective praise for that move at that time, because it was a solid move. It didn't work out. You move on. Not as though his contract crippled the franchise or anything. 

Log off kid. You are in over your head