• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more Watson threads. Use this one or one of the other 20 existing ones.

rayzor

11 minutes ago, Tab420 said:

As a Seahawk fan I hope you land him. If Watson was the style QB Seattle wanted, they should have stuck with Wilson. They moved on because they didn't want to pay him 50+ mil in a year or two. Same with Watson, he will demand 55+ in a couple years. No team has ever won a SB when there QB makes more than 12.61% of the cap. Good look this year guys...either way.

Not sure any starting qb will give discounts like Brady did moving forward.  Rodgers getting $50m?  One of the best of all time---but in 3 years you will have players who barely make the pro bowl as the second alternate demanding it.

We need a position cap:  QBs cannot earn more than 10% of the cap.

Edited by MHS831

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

Yes, the upcoming season is a wash anyway, so that means only one more year of being irrelevant. 

We could draft a qb in 2023 and he could be a huge bust,  The browns have drafted how many QBs and they are about to ship another one off. 

So we get one good year out of him before he bolts in FA.  Great!  Y'all make it look like dude actually wants to be here and will be a Panther for life.  Report after report shows we are WAY down his list.  You think three years in this carnival is going to change his mind and actually want to re-sign here when he can test the open FA market????  Homerism meets man-crush at it's finest.  His choices and market are limited right now.  In three more seasons that dynamic changes drastically especially after his legal troubles die down over time.

2 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

What’s with the influx of “fans” that are willing to accept years more of mediocrity because they suddenly want to be the moral police?

It’s called having empathy and being a decent human being. You should try it sometime. You’ll be much happier 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Answer me just one question, if you somehow could foresee the future and if was going to take the Panthers until 2024 just to make the playoffs with Watson, would you still make the trade? 

I hear what you’re getting at, but not sure there is a simple answer to this question. If Carolina doesn’t make the playoffs in 2022 or 2023 in a weak division with Watson, I’d have to question whether he’s a franchise QB (but he is, and that wouldn’t happen).

If you’re asking whether I’d want to be positioned in 2024 with 28 year old Watson or a hypothetical second-year first round QB, the choice is Watson, and it is not a close question.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Not sure any starting qb will give discounts like Brady did moving forward.  Rodgers getting $50m?  One of the best of all time---but in 3 years you will have players who barely make the pro bowl as the second alternate demanding it.

He also hasn't won or been to SB since demanding the huge contracts. Rodgers is responsible for almost 24% of the total salary cap this year. We'll see how it works, statistics say it won't. We may see a huge shift soon in the NFL. Game manager with a mediocre offense and a great defense. That, or up the salary cap to adjust to the contracts the the top level QB's are demanding. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think this is a great idea. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If I'm a non-QB player I'm lobbying the NFLPA for it. As a fan? Meh, I don't care. If you want an elite QB you're going to have to pay and that helps with the overall parity in the league. Now if we had a 25 year old Cam on the roster I might feel differently for selfish reasons.

2 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

I hear what you’re getting at, but not sure there is a simple answer to this question. If Carolina doesn’t make the playoffs in 2022 or 2023 in a weak division with Watson, I’d have to question whether he’s a franchise QB (but he is, and that wouldn’t happen).

If you’re asking whether I’d want to be positioned in 2024 with 28 year old Watson or a hypothetical second-year first round QB, the choice is Watson, and it is not a close question.

At this point, we are going to have to agree to disagree.  There's too many other variables to make Watson a 'silver bullet' solution in my opinion, even putting the legal troubles aside.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One factor that I don't think is getting anywhere near enough talk in this calculus is that Watson has two previous torn ACLs. Everyone knows about the rapey off-field stuff, but those two prior ACL tears are a significant concern on the field in terms of durability.

It doesn't surprise me, him being so mobile. He will also demand a huge contract in a couple years, just like Wilson. And, Denver will pay it. Why? Because no one gives up all that capital for a two year rental.