• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense may be decimated

Jmac

Just now, Shotgun said:

Yes you cant be a top 2 d if you cant stop the run.  Every time a team needed a score against us they got one.   

This. Every time they needed to run the clock out, they did. How many times did we need a stop to get one last shot at a drive only to get the ball ran down our throats? Elite d my ass. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

28 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And Watson will play CB on defense!  Old school two-way player...

I hear he can kick, if need be.  Maybe even be the long snapper on punts!

Here is my issue with the whole mess.  Rivera basically had the same answer as Buddy Ryan regarding our offense:  "we have Cam."  Actually, we had Cam and Olsen.  And a defense that, in its prime, flat out intimidated people.  It created turnovers which led to points.  In 2015, our OL was unexciting on paper, but somehow gelled until the Broncos exposed the weakness (and weakness in the coaching staff to not counter what they were doing).  We had a great year, but not quite good enough.,

Now take that team, remove Olsen, remove the defense, and field an OL for which unexciting would be an improvement.

Schultz's first law of human behavior is the worst thing you can do to anyone is give them exactly what they want.  I fear we are going to prove it yet again.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

This. Every time they needed to run the clock out, they did. How many times did we need a stop to get one last shot at a drive only to get the ball ran down our throats? Elite d my ass. 

Our pass d sucked too but teams knew they didn't need to pass the ball to win.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

At this point I'm really hoping Tepper does gut the team for this.

I don't understand how letting your top FA defensive players walk while at the same time missing out on signing any decent O-line guys is helping to sway Watson. Looks like preparing to tank moves 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Panthers Defense from this past year

Jones ->FA
Derrick Brown -> rumored in trade
Fox-> Cut
Reddick->FA
Shaq
Jermaine Carter->FA
Burns->Rumored in Trade
Bouye->Cut
Djax->FA
Gilmore->FA
Burris->FA
Chinn-> Rumored in trade
Horn->coming off injury

The process is finally revealing itself and sweet VICTORY is upon us!!!!

excited the waterboy GIF

• The D 1

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're also going to lose Gilmore, Bouye, Jackson and Reddick. If we lose Reddick and Burns there goes the majority of our pass rush. Losing Gilmore, Bouye, and Jackson would be losing three of our top 4 CBs. Losing Chinn would be losing our best all around defender.

Make no mistake about it, our D would be GUTTED.

No problem. The mighty Watson will play offense/defense, break the scoreboard with touchdowns, manage the front office and still have time to peruse the finest massage establishments in town. We got this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I don't understand how letting your top FA defensive players walk while at the same time missing out on signing any decent O-line guys is helping to sway Watson. Looks like preparing to tank moves 

Its a desperation move by an inexperienced own that's use to getting he's way.  Rhule is certainly on board with this because it's his best shot at keeping his job as long as he kisses Watson's ass. The word on the street is proving to be 100% accurate regarding the FO being amateur hour. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I can't envision Watson looking at what's happening in Carolina and thinking to himself "Carolina is where I can take my game to the next level".

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1