• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wills from Liberty

50 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I like when people throw out the mediocre numbers and poor outings against elite college programs...

NEWSFLASH!

LIBERTY ISN'T A COLLEGE FOOTBALL POWERHOUSE.

Do y'all think it's harder for Liberty receivers to get open against better comp?  Harder for Liberty lineman to block elite college athletes?  But, I guess Malik is just supposed to block and catch for himself.😂

I've been preaching this the whole time.  His OL was awful against lower competition and nonexistent against SEC teams like Ole Miss.  He still got Liberty ranked and beat Va Tech and Syracuse, teams he had no business playing close with the talent gap.  He needs to refine his game because he (like Howell last year) had to play hero ball with a bad OL and WRs that couldn't get separation.  His passing yards are low because his attempts were low.  People need to go look at Josh Allen's stats in college...

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Just another example of an NFL trend:  we'd rather accept lower odds high ceiling / low floor guy than bring in a guy with a lower ceiling / higher floor.  It's one of the reasons the NFL is having the QB crisis that it is.

We've started looking at Kirk Cousins, David Carr, etc as stat padders, failures, not good enough.  It's the wrong way to look at it.  Consistent, winning franchises don't necessarily need Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes to compete.

A lot of this has to do with playing in the Tom Brady era.  A lot of teams got stopped short by Brady.  Not just in the Super Bowl, but in the playoffs.  Since 2001, there have only been seven seasons where Brady didn't knock at least one team - if not more - out.  Overall, Brady has knocked 30 teams out.

Never before has a QB so dramatically affected the outcome of the league for such a long period of time.  This is what teams are trying to fight.  They need someone who can beat the GOAT if called upon.  QB play overall has suffered because teams are trying to hit home runs instead of getting on base.

Can you blame them? You have a 4 to 5 year window if you draft a rookie QB before they swallow the majority of your cap. If he is not a Rodgers, Brady, Brees, ie elite then it makes it hard to justify paying the huge money for an “okay but not elite” guy instead of swinging for the fences again. What exacerbates this line of thinking is that the modern NFL favors offense. It’s tough to build a 86 bears D or 2000 ravens, especially if the QB you have is short of elite and swallowing your cap as the Rams figured with Goff.

22 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

If we are picking based on pure upside? The kid from Cincinnati should be the first off of the board. 

I honestly think all of these QBs are gonna be really really mediocre at best. You gotta have one or the other. Every elite trait or elite production at a high level. 

Willis has a lot of traits but his size bothers me. I agree I’m not sure I see a huge difference between him and Tyrod. I think Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have made drafting 6ft or less QBs a popular thing. But they’re still the exception and not the rule  imo. Willis’ trait that he lacks is size. 

Ridder lacks bulk. 

The comparisons between Willis and Allen bc of “traits” is so so off though. Allen had every elite trait. Size, arm, processing, quick feet and he still hasn’t reached his potential. Still struggles with TO and decisions. 

No picks on QB's in this draft. Take one of the 3 really good offensive lineman or 3 really good defensive lineman. Go into the year with Cam and tank. 3 really good QB's at the top of next year's draft, and Carolina, Detroit, and the Jets should be the only teams that will tank.

4 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I honestly think all of these QBs are gonna be really really mediocre at best. You gotta have one or the other. Every elite trait or elite production at a high level. 

Willis has a lot of traits but his size bothers me. I agree I’m not sure I see a huge difference between him and Tyrod. I think Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have made drafting 6ft or less QBs a popular thing. But they’re still the exception and not the rule  imo. Willis’ trait that he lacks is size. 

Ridder lacks bulk. 

The comparisons between Willis and Allen bc of “traits” is so so off though. Allen had every elite trait. Size, arm, processing, quick feet and he still hasn’t reached his potential. Still struggles with TO and decisions. 

Allen had processing?? Umm you might want to check out his college stats.  The man was very raw with under 2000 passing yards and 56% completion only 16 TDs and 6 INTs his last year.  If he had processing down so does every QB in this draft...

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Ridder lacks bulk. 

The thing with Ridder is that, in theory, all of his downsides are "coachable." He can add weight, he can study film, he can learn defenses, he can work through reads and progressions. But his size, athleticism, and arm are things that you can't coach. For me, it would be about talking to him, his coaches, his teammates, and getting him on the board with my offensive scheme. I would need to know that he has that room to grow. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

He has the best physical skills of any QB in this draft. He also has a history of completely melting down against any difficult competition.

He is the classic high risk, high reward guy. Super high ceiling, super low floor.

He's a guy that should sit for a year, and if he does will flourish I believe. If not, and he gets in early his head could be completely screwed. Sadly, he would have to start here for us.