• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers closing in on Duane Brown

Jmac

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think it's just to keep their options open.  If we come out the other side of FA with no LT options, we almost have to draft one, even a the risk of reaching if the big three are gone.  I get we have BC and Erving, but the first is a project and the later is a placeholder.  Neither are the answer for franchise LT.  If Brown comes here it would be a 3-year deal MAX and likely structured for two years of actual service.  We'd be looking for his successor next draft season anyway. 

In short, signing Brown in no way takes us out of the LT sweepstakes this draft.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Erving agreed but you have no idea BC ceiling because we haven't given him a chance.  He's extremely athletic and could be but no one knows until you give him some seasoning.  

So you are willing to pass up a top 5 LT prospect because you don't feel BC got a fair shake?  I'm not sure I follow that train of thought.  That's definitely not how you run successful a draft.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

So you are willing to pass up a top 5 LT prospect because you don't feel BC got a fair shake?  I'm not sure I follow that train of thought.  That's definitely not how you run successful a draft.

Passed on at least two QBs last draft because they were convinced they had something in Darnold

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You build through the draft.  You bring players in and let them develop.  You don't continually add the same piece because the rookie didn't make the Pro Bowl.  

Remember us drafting CB after CB and so many other positions fell through.

We are working on Brown and BC can learn behind him or play guard but he should be viewed as part of our future.

I'd rather take a QB than Another LT.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

Passed on at least two QBs last draft because they were convinced they had something in Darnold

Doubling down on stupid doesn't make it better.  I can't see how drafting a QB next month makes this team any better.  I know what they are hoping for; sit the rookie this year and start next season after Darnold departs.  One problem, that's assuming the rookie amounts to something.  I don't think they will.  Not this year's crop.

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You build through the draft.  You bring players in and let them develop.  You don't continually add the same piece because the rookie didn't make the Pro Bowl.  

Remember us drafting CB after CB and so many other positions fell through.

We are working on Brown and BC can learn behind him or play guard but he should be viewed as part of our future.

I'd rather take a QB than Another LT.  

You draft until the answer is found and you also draft BPA in round 1.  Both are truisms. If they feel Pickett or Willis is somehow better than Ekwonu, Neal or Cross, then so be it.  However, most BBs I've seen (outside of Cross in some instances) don't have them stacked like that.  So you are breaking cardinal rule #1 and committing cardinal sin #1, don't reach out of desperation.

Running the draft off emotion never ends well.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

You draft until the answer is found and you also draft BPA in round 1.  Both are truisms. If they feel Pickett or Willis is somehow better than Ekwonu, Neal or Cross, then so be it.  However, most BBs I've seen (outside of Cross in some instances) don't have them stacked like that.  So you are breaking cardinal rule #1 and committing cardinal sin #1, don't reach out of desperation.

Running the draft off emotion never ends well.

You should follow your own advice.  You want a LT because you feel BC isn't good enough.  That's pure emotion because we really didn't give BC a chance.  We drafted a LT last year. Brady Christensen and when given the chance (last couple of games) he played well for a rookie.  I believe James Campen is going to get him even better. 

We have other needs that could be filled outside of QB and LT that would warrant a #6 pick.   

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I think it's just to keep their options open.  If we come out the other side of FA with no LT options, we almost have to draft one, even a the risk of reaching if the big three are gone.  I get we have BC and Erving, but the first is a project and the later is a placeholder.  Neither are the answer for franchise LT.  If Brown comes here it would be a 3-year deal MAX and likely structured for two years of actual service.  We'd be looking for his successor next draft season anyway. 

In short, signing Brown in no way takes us out of the LT sweepstakes this draft.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You should follow your own advice.  You want a LT because you feel BC isn't good enough.  That's pure emotion because we really didn't give BC a chance.  We drafted a LT last year. Brady Christensen and when given the chance (last couple of games) he played well for a rookie.  I believe James Campen is going to get him even better. 

We have other needs that could be filled outside of QB and LT that would warrant a #6 pick.   

I am.  Neal, Ekwonu and Cross are stacked #3, #4 and #5 overall on my favorite BB.  So unless Hutchinson or Walker falls to #6, all those dudes are ranked WELL ahead of either Willis or Pickett.  Also, you don't hang your hat on a 3rd round guy when a better prospect is there for the taking.  Willis is #14 and Pickett is #30 on that site.  But hey, we need a QB.  For all of Marty Hurney's faults...and there was a ton of them, he stuck to this philosophy regarding first round picks and never missed. 

Fine if they are planning to slide BC inside for another year to hit the weight room. Otherwise another kick of the can and we are looking for our LT of the future, again, next year. 

Every year we sign an aging or crap LT and hope it works. Besides part of a season with Oher, it hasn’t worked. At all.