• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis Pro Day

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Physical ability? Yeah.

But that's not what wins in the NFL. You have to be able to read defenses and process the information quickly.

It also doesn't matter if you can throw the ball a mile. What matters is whether or not you can throw it to a particular spot.

This is where Ellis and I disagree. He likes the idea of taking physical specimens and trying to teach them the other stuff. I don't. I want the guys who show they can handle the other stuff first. If they're also physical specimens, fine. If not, don't really care.

This is also why I don't put a whole lot of stock into pro days or workouts in general. As has been said by many, anyone can look good in those situations. It's the game tape that really tells the story.

All ability and no work ethic/ability to read defenses gets you Jamarcus Russell, but the opposite can get you Teddy Bridgewater.  You definitely need some elite traits in today's NFL.  I like that Willis seems very positive, humble, and coachable.  I also think that Pickett's arm is a little underrated (people are going to get triggered by that comment).  

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

Would you have drafted Steve McNair ?   Cam ?  Herbert?   Mahomes? 

I don’t put stock in it either and the tape don’t lie but I’ll take a kid like this and teach him vs someone like Pickett.  What Pickett is 5 years from now, he is right now.

I preferred McNair to Collins. Wasn't high on Newton. Loved the idea of Herbert. Didn't know enough about Mahomes because I didn't think we were taking a quarterback that year.

For the record, I don't want Pickett either. I don't want a quarterback in this draft at all.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Physical ability? Yeah.

But that's not what wins in the NFL. You have to be able to read defenses and process the information quickly.

It also doesn't matter if you can throw the ball a mile. What matters is whether or not you can throw it to a particular spot.

This is where Ellis and I disagree. He likes the idea of taking physical specimens and trying to teach them the other stuff. I don't. I want the guys who show they can handle the other stuff first. If they're also physical specimens, fine. If not, don't really care.

This is also why I don't put a whole lot of stock into pro days or workouts in general. As has been said by many, anyone can look good in those situations. It's the game tape that really tells the story.

Honestly, not in todays in NFL. 10 years ago I would have definitely agreed with you. The game is changing for better or for worse. You don’t need to be Peyton Manning to be an all pro in this league. If you can make big time throws on the run like Jackson, Allen, Patty M, you’re going to be successful. Which is exactly what Malik brings. NFL defenses are handicapped due to defensive rule changes. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Yea, he has all the traits a lot of the huddle overrates, a cannon and he runs.  The negatives are he misses reads a lot, he uses his arm strength to make up for the fact he never throws with anticipation, and I would also say the fact he didnt dominate lesser competition and looked pretty bad against better competition.   He is a poor mans cam right now.   His strengths are similar but not as otherworldly as Cam's and his weaknesses are the same but worse.  All that being said he could still be the best prospect.   I honestly have no idea anymore lol.  Hes definitely a scary choice though.

He was running for his life against better competition. Liberty’s O Line was actually worse than ours last year.

6 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Teddy Bridgewater lol

I believe you but wow it was worse than I thought. Watched his pro day and so many short passes. It was almost like they were scared to show his long ball off. 
Every single pass was short to intermediate. They even did a screen play. Hilarious. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I preferred McNair to Collins. Wasn't high on Newton. Loved the idea of Herbert. Didn't know enough about Mahomes because I didn't think we were taking a quarterback that year.

For the record, I don't want Pickett either. I don't want a quarterback in this draft at all.

I think you were in the marcel dareus  camp if I remember correctly? You take me as a very safe guy. I don't think think there is a sure fire stud in this qb class.. so instead of aiming for a base hit with Pickett why no go for the guy with the highest upside?